IGNORED

ARMS

The Mighty Ash

I really hope more games borrow from the Party Crash model. It’s the most interesting game event I’ve played and just 100% full of joy. Had some great, close matches and some completely chaotic ones — it keeps things interesting. Plus the bonus rounds, bonus gloves changing up every five minutes is great. 

If you enjoy the demo I'd go for it at £33 or perhaps even look for a physical copy you could sell on if you decide it's not for you. Like any fighting game the one player is a series of fights culminating in the final boss. There's also stuff to unlock. It's great fun in multiplayer though so don't be put off. 

59 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Global Testpunch is up and the game is £33 on the eshop.

It seemed quite scarce on content at release.

How is the final version? I’m trying to find the full stage and character roster to see what’s missing from the testpunch. Is there a lot for a singleplayer to do outside the online?

I’d be all in at £20 but seems doubtful it will go that low digitally - there’s no way to get eshop credit cheaper is there?

You can get this for about £27 from the SA shop. 

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Global Testpunch is up and the game is £33 on the eshop.

It seemed quite scarce on content at release.

How is the final version? I’m trying to find the full stage and character roster to see what’s missing from the testpunch. Is there a lot for a singleplayer to do outside the online?

I’d be all in at £20 but seems doubtful it will go that low digitally - there’s no way to get eshop credit cheaper is there?

Five new characters (so 50% more than at launch) and fifteen new arms (likewise), plus more events in Party Mode. The sporadic Party Crash events have been fantastic (think Splatfests, but better) and the highlights of my time with the game, loads more variety, quick carousel of events bonuses for using certain arms, some quite daft modes which are ace whenever they come round (One Hit Wonder, Big Time Arms, Hedlok Scramble). The single player is pretty limited, regular storyline mode and some minigames/challenges, but I've never been into single player fighting games, and I don't get the appeal at all.

This has a great casual online mode (Party Mode) where you still get plenty of credits to unlock new arms for your characters and quick matches so you don't feel stressed and you don't have people quitting. If you get beat, you still get a few coins and then straight into the next match. Ranked Mode is a higher standard and is a great challenge to test your skills and see how high the skill ceiling really is with this. 

Coins don't transfer, unfortunately, but there's no reason not to permanently change your account region to SA once you've used up those UK coins. Everything is cheaper than the UK store and you can use UK debit or credit cards without any issue. 

Movement is more important than anything else in ARMS, by far, and I wouldn't swap the snappy pad controls for any hypothetical curving precision.

You will hear people saying 'but you can't curve punches in two directions on a pad' but I just assume they've not really played the game. If Pro is good enough for 90% of the top players in the world, I can live with it. I remember someone told me I needed to get a stick to play SF4 properly because 'you can't plink on a pad'. I probably beat this guy 50:1 over all the time I knew him. 

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Totally. The whole motion control thing is another bit of miscommunication which slightly fucked the game. It's a legit control method but I've played 99% with a pad and 50% of that in handheld. 

Cool, yeah they totally muffed the marketing on that one I was convinced it was 100% motion controls.

Not bothered about fighting games normally, but I can feel this one getting its hooks into me already. Has that same one more go quality as Splatoon.

I’ve tried with the motion controls but they're unreliable in my hands and I end up misdirecting punches more often than with the Pro controller. Besides, whenever I’ve watched someone playing at a high level on Twtich, it’s been with a Pro.

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Motion feels good but blocking seems unresponsive.

I don’t think I would want to switch to pad/handheld tho.

Do what I do then: Use motion controls but change a button to block. The controls are totally customisable.

58 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

My only concern is that most characters seem to play the same way and only have one grab etc. Is there more to it than this? Even if not it’s still a wonderful blast of old-style arcade fun. But even at £30 the full game does seem very light.

Each fighter has different traits and special things about them. There's a boatload to think about once you finally reach the meta game, which is roughly around rank 10 online or 5* GP.

I’m going to stick with motion control and maybe map a button for block.

I smashed through my first GP with Byte and Barq - Even got some stars and a double perfect - I assume it’s very easy. My only concern is that most characters seem to play the same way and only have one grab etc. Is there more to it than this? Even if not it’s still a wonderful blast of old-style arcade fun. But even at £30 the full game does seem very light.

It's far less about the characters than the choice and combination of arms. Each character has their own nuances and gimmicks, in some cases, but more than any other fighting game I've played, you can have a mirror match which features two totally different styles.

Bear in mind you've got 45 different arms and a hell of a lot more combinations and you can see where things get deep. It's very reflex based in some respects but very much psychological, and about controlling a 3D space. 

The actual fights start around 34 minutes in, and great to see a really wide range of both characters and arms, with good insights from the commentators for players of any level (excusing the mic failure at the start of the first fight!). That's what makes this so good, there's basically no tier list at all, it's what works for each player, or rather what each player can make work. I played quite a bit of Kid Cobra with Slapamanders early on and just hit a wall because I didn't realise the limitations of the setup and I wasn't even playing to either my strengths or the strengths of the character or of those arms, I just thought they looked cool.

Now I basically use the Thunderbird to keep my opponent at distance with big arcs and straight dipping shots and something which knocks down in my other hand to dash in and apply pressure. I also love the Brrchuk in my off-hand because the combination of freezing to slow them down and then hit with electricity from the Thunderbird, and then a free dash-in grab is such a great combo, and infuriating. 

I tend to play slightly more reactively against Ninjara, because that's how most of those pricks fight. I'll usually throw a staggered double punch, too, because he's unable to block (and therefore unable to auto-dash away from) the second punch if timed well. I think he's an utter bastard of a character and a proper noob killer. The grab out of block-dash used to be an absolute nightmare. 

22 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

How do you tackle a good Ninjara player? 

There are no good Ninjara players! Well, very few. Nearly all of the ones I've seen have been one-trick ponies that don't have a clue what to do if you just don't let yourself be baited. Pick Mummy, hit them once, and then force them to attack and it's gravy.

How do you tackle a good Ninjara player? 

Because you can usually catch people during a dash with a quick twist during the punch. But Ninjara disappears so he’s essentially invulnerable during dash and then counters on reappearing.

Three-way fights should be removed from Party Match imo.

I like playing Ninjara. He’s not as overpowered as he used to be, but I like his speed. Straight punching arms to break grabs and try and make sure your punches are charged as he’s susceptible to knockdowns. Nade arms ( I think) that don’t need to hit to cause damage are my nemesis when I play as Ninjy

@grindmouse

If it makes you feel any better, I spent much of my first ten hours with the game swinging from one extreme reaction to the other.

For a start, I'd say treat the Party Mode as nothing more than a mess around. If you lose, you still get a few credits to unlock some more arms. The 1v1v1 (and sometimes 1v1v1v1 in Party Crash) is ridiculous sometimes because you're not set up to fight 2v1. And yet, I've had some of my most glorious moments with the game in that mode where I've had two utter pricks try to take me down, leave me for dead and then I played them both off each other and stole the win. The hoops and other minigames are just a bit of daft variety.

In terms of proper 1v1 play, I did say that the pad controls are definitely superior. Your movement is snappier and the game is 90% movement. Guarding works absolutely fine, you just don't know how it works just yet. You can't instantly guard when dashing or nobody would ever get a hit in! It's the same in any fighting game, you have recovery frames. My advice would be to pick Lola Pop for a bit because she can guard in the air and can also waddle a bit when guarding, which is a good way to learn a decent defence while still trying to staying mobile. She was my proper 'in' to the game.

You also mentioned you were playing a bit as Byte & Barq, I think. Long story short, they're potentially great but pretty hard for a beginner to use. Same with Misango, Helix and Dr Coyle. If you don't fancy Lola Pop, then Springman is a very solid basic fighter who gets auto charge when his health is low, so that should keep you in the game for longer and hopefully get you a few close wins.

What arms are you using predominantly? As I said up thread, that makes a massive massive difference. I hit a wall playing with Slapamanders because I wanted to get in close but they're far better at mid range catching compulsive dashers. I'd pick one 'normal' straight punching arm and one curved arm to experiment a little with the respective strengths and weaknesses.

We've mentioned it a couple of times but a rllmuk lobby would be a good chance to muck about and get a better feel without playing anyone exploiting your inexperience with cheap (but ultimately useless) tech. Whenever the next Party Crash comes along, I recommend jumping in then at very least. It's the game at its best. 

I'd never thought about the 'training' aspect of it but I agree, that would have been a cool way to learn each arm 'without consequences'. On the other hand, that's Party Mode for me. I will just try something out I've never played before. You lose, you still win in that mode. While you're right that the arms you unlock are just other characters' arms, they can be wielded quite differently from character to character and player to player.

I can't begin to defend the single player content, though. It's crap. I feel the same about pretty much every single player mode in any fighting game, though, so it didn't particularly bother me. I only played one GP, once, to unlock Ranked mode and I've never attempted it again. The CPU seemed really cheap and really difficult but I suppose it's a good way to work on defence and getting a feel for some different arms.

As for the badges, there are loads and loads. I don't even know how many I have but there are probably five pages worth. Their primary function is to give you some dough to unlock arms. The collectible factor is a distant second, I'd say. Some of them are extremely circumstantial but by simply playing, you'll rack them up.

Interesting that you've been playing as Cobra because he can be a sitting duck unless you're constantly staying charged to keep his long dash. On the other hand, he is brilliant once you get into him, especially up close because you can change the angle very quickly. A couple of straight arms suit him nicely playing that way. Maybe one with explosive knockdown and one with electric stun, which you can follow up with a free grab. That'd be my preference, anyway. Mechanica can be great but the hover jump is also an invitation for decent players to wallop her out of the air.

Good luck with it, anyway, and if you fancy a few casual rounds, let's get something going in here.