rllmuk
The Mighty Ash

ARMS - Ninty's Fight Club

It's definitely got that Nintendo magic.. the lobby system in particular is genius and makes an already addictive game practically impossible to pull yourself away from.

4 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

The one thing it definitely did show me was that in a game between two players who know what they are doing, you are going to have a lot of fun. Whilst most of my matches were against people who were probably playing for the first time or weren't taking to it quite as well, one match I had near the end put me up against a guy who was blocking, dashing, jumping... excellent. We both cancelled out each others' burst attacks with well-timed blocks, were dashing and jumping around and in the end I won by a slither of energy after just about connecting with a left hook.

Was very satisfying :)

i had a match like that and it was epic stuff. I won with a slither of health and 2 seconds to go.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely love this. Went on an initial sixteen match win streak as MinMin, until a particularly sneaky Master Mummy took me out whilst he was on the brink of death. Managed to have my revenge in our next match with defensive play around the health regen. Guy just couldn't resist walking into the zone of noodly terror.

Not sure about V-Ball, yet. Need to play against someone that actually knows what they're doing with it, I suspect. 

It's ok.

I played 45 minutes with the motion controls and had fun but didn't really win much. Switched to more conventional controls and it felt much better simply because I could move around the arena properly. The throws feel a bit overpowered.

At £20-30 I may go for it.

I only managed to play 40 minutes of it there. It was confusing for a bit; the movement in particular took me a while to adjust to. I'm still not mega-confident with the gaurding and counters. Mostly I was dodging left and right to avoid punches before countering with my own or jumping over throws to grab them back.

I was having a SPECTACULAR match when the servers cut off; a 1v1v1 against a Spring Man and Master Mummy. All of use slyly taking potshots at the aggressor when they were focused on the other player until I was left with low health against a Spring Man and managed to evade his Rush barrage, getting a few cheeky hits in before activating my own flurry and smashing him around, landing a grab and... servers cut off. Because it stopped so abruptly I was suddenly very aware of how exhausted and full of adrenaline I was. That last match alone has left me very, very keen to play a lot more.

I think the guard a punch then dash "insta-counter" will be fun to take advatage of against players who're just throwing every first they have (two) at you. When's the next test?!

• Upvote 4

Hmmm. Only played for 10 mins, but the motion controls were not what I expected at all, I found tilt to move imprecise and unintuitive. I only had an SP match but rather than finding the fleshed out Wii Boxing game I was expecting, I came away disappointed - like ann coulter, I found it sort of boring.

But will try again at the next Test Punch, but not sure on that pre-order now. Seems like a budget digital title, no way this will do a Splatoon.

Get the MK8 team back on MK8 DLC.

6 hours ago, Nequests said:

Not sure about V-Ball, yet. Need to play against someone that actually knows what they're doing with it, I suspect. 

I think I had 3 V-ball matches and found it really enjoyable. 

Loved that throwing my arms in the right direction to hit and control the ball felt so natural! Like others have said, getting used to movement is the hardest part, I was needing to put a lot of conscious thought into that - and couldn't figure out how to react to the ball if it got low (seemed others were the same which made spiking the ball my main tactic - lost by 1 point,  at the last second, when in a 2v2 match after my partner disconnected at the start of the match!) 

I like that the V-ball matches are nice and quick too, made a nice wee switch up in party mode. 

Going to let my 5 year old have a go at 1pm, if he likes it I might be able to convince the wife to look the other way as I buy yet more Switch games (it's exercise!) 

Had about 40 mins on this last night and whilst the presentation and lobby system is lovely, this isn't for me. It's just so imprecise in terms of the actual punching and the movement feels counter-intuitive.  

I think if if this was a £15 psvr digital only title it'd get little to no interest and people would be complaining about the crap move controllers and the poor tracking.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Really enjoyed this last night.

The hit-miss mechanic and how you have to commit to your punches is quite intense. Watching them travel across the arena and land on the opponent is really satisfying and feels great, but heart breaking if you miss and then get a face full of counter attack.

Some of the glove options are a little frustrating but I'll put that down to not really knowing what I was doing. I quickly found a set-up I enjoyed but made an effort to try everything. I imagine some strengths and weaknesses will be found by the community pretty quickly so I can imagine having to change up a lot.

Really enjoyed the lobby system too. Fighting a really close, tense game against someone and then having to join forces to fight two others felt really epic and I got a friend request at the end of it. 

Things did feel a little splashy control wise sometimes but I got a left joyconn I'm being lazy about sending back so can't tell if it's the game or that. 

Also I must have been on edge because my shoulders were aching after an hour! 

Looking forward to 1pm.

Accidentally skipped the tutorial and there's seemingly no way to start it again so my first few matches were a bit suspect.

Much prefer using the pad, though I think long-term that will prove a disadvantage. As with others, not sure if the left Joy-Con is causing an issue (I repeatedly threw grabs when just using the right punch) or if it requires a bit of subtlety to moving.

Learn to punch using Master Mummy's Megatons. They're slow enough for you to get a grip of things, plus he has armour like Vs. Zangief. Move over to his other arms before picking up another fighter to learn evasion. 

He will also encourage you to block more, as you can sneak in one or two 10hp ticks whilst the opponent recovers. Come out of that holding the shoulder button so that you can charge the next punch. It's so meaty smacking people with those.

The KO replays are also very meaty. 

• Upvote 2

It's utterly gorgeous, and I turned out to be quite good at it if my first few rounds were anything to go by, but it's the kind of game I'd get bored of quickly. It is full of that unrivalled Nintendo charm and polish, and the online lobbies work incredibly well, but I'm considering cancelling my order and giving it a rental for now.

I've had to have a five minute break. It's relentless and I'm sweating buckets in this weather.

Brilliant though.

Played it last night pissed and I was accidentally holding the controllers the wrong way around,  forgetting to do rush moves and all sorts. I hardly ever play fighting games, but I'm starting to get to grips with things now and employing some basic tactics. Particularly loving the 3 player matches.

• Upvote 2

Ribbon Girl is my main for now. Double jump, dashing around  and slap-slap-slapping people up with her special works wonders for me. I've only tried out her, Ninjara and Min Min, though.

Oh, and V-Ball turned out to be much more fun in 2v2. 

Just now, shirubagan said:

How do you change focus in a 3P battle?

Up button on the left joycon or X on the right.

Edit: Seems any button works! Didn't actually know that, Joffo. Ta.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

How do you change focus in a 3P battle?

The right button on the D-pad worked for me. Sounds wrong but your finger should be right on it. 

• Upvote 1

I'm aiming for 100pts during this evenings session. I got up to 88pts last night. 

I'm not playing this afternoon because I'm stuck in sodding Ikea instead.