rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

ARMS - Ninty's Fight Club

The actual fights start around 34 minutes in, and great to see a really wide range of both characters and arms, with good insights from the commentators for players of any level (excusing the mic failure at the start of the first fight!). That's what makes this so good, there's basically no tier list at all, it's what works for each player, or rather what each player can make work. I played quite a bit of Kid Cobra with Slapamanders early on and just hit a wall because I didn't realise the limitations of the setup and I wasn't even playing to either my strengths or the strengths of the character or of those arms, I just thought they looked cool.

Now I basically use the Thunderbird to keep my opponent at distance with big arcs and straight dipping shots and something which knocks down in my other hand to dash in and apply pressure. I also love the Brrchuk in my off-hand because the combination of freezing to slow them down and then hit with electricity from the Thunderbird, and then a free dash-in grab is such a great combo, and infuriating. 

• Upvote 2

How do you tackle a good Ninjara player? 

Because you can usually catch people during a dash with a quick twist during the punch. But Ninjara disappears so he’s essentially invulnerable during dash and then counters on reappearing.

Three-way fights should be removed from Party Match imo.

I tend to play slightly more reactively against Ninjara, because that's how most of those pricks fight. I'll usually throw a staggered double punch, too, because he's unable to block (and therefore unable to auto-dash away from) the second punch if timed well. I think he's an utter bastard of a character and a proper noob killer. The grab out of block-dash used to be an absolute nightmare. 

22 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

There are no good Ninjara players! Well, very few. Nearly all of the ones I've seen have been one-trick ponies that don't have a clue what to do if you just don't let yourself be baited. Pick Mummy, hit them once, and then force them to attack and it's gravy.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Because you can usually catch people during a dash with a quick twist during the punch. But Ninjara disappears so he’s essentially invulnerable during dash and then counters on reappearing.

Three-way fights should be removed from Party Match imo.

I like playing Ninjara. He’s not as overpowered as he used to be, but I like his speed. Straight punching arms to break grabs and try and make sure your punches are charged as he’s susceptible to knockdowns. Nade arms ( I think) that don’t need to hit to cause damage are my nemesis when I play as Ninjy

You know if someone was to come into this thread now and say “Hey should I buy Arms?”

My advice would be, “Nope!”

The character design is exceptional, motion control punching feels good. But...

There’s little-to-no single player content.

The Party Battle 3-4 player fights are broken,  Hedlok fights are boring and the matchmaking choices are often perplexing.

Guarding, even when assigned to a button is temperamental to the point of being useless. If you’re dashing and can see a punch about to connect you hit the guard button and your character does nothing.

There’s no explanation as to the function of each of the Arms you unlock, and in fact when you unlock new Arms - you’re just unlocking other character’s arms for each different character so don’t be fooled into thinking there’s a ton of content.

To cap that off I just had my first Ranked game against a Level 1 “Snail” who was clearly a smurf account and literally perfected me in round one so I turned my Switch off. Fuck that.

When none of your punches are connecting and the controls don’t respond and opponents are deflecting everything you do, or two players just gang up on you, but you can only attack one at a time - that’s just not fun. 

I had similar problems with Streetfighter V, perhaps my reflexes are getting too slow for this genre. Kinda regretting my digital purchase - I think I will go back to physical copies from now on.

@grindmouse

If it makes you feel any better, I spent much of my first ten hours with the game swinging from one extreme reaction to the other.

For a start, I'd say treat the Party Mode as nothing more than a mess around. If you lose, you still get a few credits to unlock some more arms. The 1v1v1 (and sometimes 1v1v1v1 in Party Crash) is ridiculous sometimes because you're not set up to fight 2v1. And yet, I've had some of my most glorious moments with the game in that mode where I've had two utter pricks try to take me down, leave me for dead and then I played them both off each other and stole the win. The hoops and other minigames are just a bit of daft variety.

In terms of proper 1v1 play, I did say that the pad controls are definitely superior. Your movement is snappier and the game is 90% movement. Guarding works absolutely fine, you just don't know how it works just yet. You can't instantly guard when dashing or nobody would ever get a hit in! It's the same in any fighting game, you have recovery frames. My advice would be to pick Lola Pop for a bit because she can guard in the air and can also waddle a bit when guarding, which is a good way to learn a decent defence while still trying to staying mobile. She was my proper 'in' to the game.

You also mentioned you were playing a bit as Byte & Barq, I think. Long story short, they're potentially great but pretty hard for a beginner to use. Same with Misango, Helix and Dr Coyle. If you don't fancy Lola Pop, then Springman is a very solid basic fighter who gets auto charge when his health is low, so that should keep you in the game for longer and hopefully get you a few close wins.

What arms are you using predominantly? As I said up thread, that makes a massive massive difference. I hit a wall playing with Slapamanders because I wanted to get in close but they're far better at mid range catching compulsive dashers. I'd pick one 'normal' straight punching arm and one curved arm to experiment a little with the respective strengths and weaknesses.

We've mentioned it a couple of times but a rllmuk lobby would be a good chance to muck about and get a better feel without playing anyone exploiting your inexperience with cheap (but ultimately useless) tech. Whenever the next Party Crash comes along, I recommend jumping in then at very least. It's the game at its best. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

@grindmouse

If it makes you feel any better, I spent much of my first ten hours with the game swinging from one extreme reaction to the other.

For a start, I'd say treat the Party Mode as nothing more than a mess around. If you lose, you still get a few credits to unlock some more arms. The 1v1v1 (and sometimes 1v1v1v1 in Party Crash) is ridiculous sometimes because you're not set up to fight 2v1. And yet, I've had some of my most glorious moments with the game in that mode where I've had two utter pricks try to take me down, leave me for dead and then I played them both off each other and stole the win. The hoops and other minigames are just a bit of daft variety.

In terms of proper 1v1 play, I did say that the pad controls are definitely superior. Your movement is snappier and the game is 90% movement. Guarding works absolutely fine, you just don't know how it works just yet. You can't instantly guard when dashing or nobody would ever get a hit in! It's the same in any fighting game, you have recovery frames. My advice would be to pick Lola Pop for a bit because she can guard in the air and can also waddle a bit when guarding, which is a good way to learn a decent defence while still trying to staying mobile. She was my proper 'in' to the game.

You also mentioned you were playing a bit as Byte & Barq, I think. Long story short, they're potentially great but pretty hard for a beginner to use. Same with Misango, Helix and Dr Coyle. If you don't fancy Lola Pop, then Springman is a very solid basic fighter who gets auto charge when his health is low, so that should keep you in the game for longer and hopefully get you a few close wins.

What arms are you using predominantly? As I said up thread, that makes a massive massive difference. I hit a wall playing with Slapamanders because I wanted to get in close but they're far better at mid range catching compulsive dashers. I'd pick one 'normal' straight punching arm and one curved arm to experiment a little with the respective strengths and weaknesses.

We've mentioned it a couple of times but a rllmuk lobby would be a good chance to muck about and get a better feel without playing anyone exploiting your inexperience with cheap (but ultimately useless) tech. Whenever the next Party Crash comes along, I recommend jumping in then at very least. It's the game at its best. 

I think I need to do some training with the different Arms. I'll try Lola - been flitting between Kid Cobra and Mechanica mostly.

In terms on the single player it seems the badges are quite extensive, and apparently there are harder levels to try Grand Prix at, which might be good training too.

I'll probably aim to unlock those as an incentive - but I wish there was an in-game list for how to unlock them all (perhaps there is and I missed it!).

It really could've done with single player challenges for each character for each type of Arm.

• Upvote 1

I'd never thought about the 'training' aspect of it but I agree, that would have been a cool way to learn each arm 'without consequences'. On the other hand, that's Party Mode for me. I will just try something out I've never played before. You lose, you still win in that mode. While you're right that the arms you unlock are just other characters' arms, they can be wielded quite differently from character to character and player to player.

I can't begin to defend the single player content, though. It's crap. I feel the same about pretty much every single player mode in any fighting game, though, so it didn't particularly bother me. I only played one GP, once, to unlock Ranked mode and I've never attempted it again. The CPU seemed really cheap and really difficult but I suppose it's a good way to work on defence and getting a feel for some different arms.

As for the badges, there are loads and loads. I don't even know how many I have but there are probably five pages worth. Their primary function is to give you some dough to unlock arms. The collectible factor is a distant second, I'd say. Some of them are extremely circumstantial but by simply playing, you'll rack them up.

Interesting that you've been playing as Cobra because he can be a sitting duck unless you're constantly staying charged to keep his long dash. On the other hand, he is brilliant once you get into him, especially up close because you can change the angle very quickly. A couple of straight arms suit him nicely playing that way. Maybe one with explosive knockdown and one with electric stun, which you can follow up with a free grab. That'd be my preference, anyway. Mechanica can be great but the hover jump is also an invitation for decent players to wallop her out of the air.

Good luck with it, anyway, and if you fancy a few casual rounds, let's get something going in here. 

20 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Good luck with it, anyway, and if you fancy a few casual rounds, let's get something going in here. 

PM'd.

Why don't we just set a time this week where we can all jump in for a bash?

How about Thursday 9pm GMT?

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a plan, though I wouldn't be able to get on until after the Arsenal game (10pm).

I am well up for this in principle but looking after an ill wife at the moment so gaming time is unpredictable of an evening. I'll hope to join you fellas and appreciate the impetus @Fallows

• Upvote 1

I’ll try to get a few rounds in just to make up the numbers and help make a RLLMUK Arms Evening work, but I’m not particularly good at the best of times and if my Arms sessions with randoms are anything to go by, I WILL rage quit and blame lag.

I wondered why everyone on my friend list was suddenly playing this. I thought Nintendo must have stealth dropped a big new update or something.

Haha I'm so bad at this. At one point I just gave up when I was up against Fallows' Springtron, fuck that guy (the character! :P). The rounds I did win were mostly due to me cowering in a corner and going for the time-out. Apologies everyone. :lol:

Good fun though! Sign me up for next Thursday. 

• Upvote 1