The Mighty Ash

ARMS - Ninty's Fight Club

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Nintendo launch game with great mechanics and sod all content for full price?

Ah yeah.

cover_large.jpg

I paid 30 quid for Excite Truck. I thought the content was worth it.

Anyway, ARMS, are there any clips of the double-juggle going on with the trampolines? I'm getting strong VF vibes from that shit.

Also, any game with a double-jump is instant win. 6/10 EDGE. Etc.

• Upvote 2

I love Excite Truck. I still play it on my Wii U. Crazy Taxi also gets a regular play. SFII had 8 fighters, 4 bosses, 2P. Must have put 100s of hours and money into that.

As long as the game is fun, who gives a shit?

• Upvote 3

Another for not seeing much up with Excite Truck (except getting that bastard 360 move to work), I didn't regret buying it mind you I had plenty to regret having picked up Madden '07 and Sonic and the Secret rings as well. ARMS looks pretty shit though, in the sense I can see it being just too throwaway to hold interest for long.

1 hour ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

[Excite Truck.jog]

And remember the also great Excite Bots :)

they will probably bring out a sequel to this in a few months, called " Legs " :lol:

That'll be DLC. It'll cost an arm and a... Ahem, I'm so sorry. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

Another for not seeing much up with Excite Truck (except getting that bastard 360 move to work)

That was bad tutorial design. It made it look like you had to twist it clockwise/anticlockwise. 

Once it became clear that you were twisting away/towards yourself, man... the 360s did flow...

1JKzdOk.gif

Look at this player's arms and then his character on the left part of the screen. He dashes to the left but punches with his right hand and also quickly curves the controller to the right which hits the opponent. The reaction from player to character was almost instant which shows how well the Joy Con responds. Then you see him curves his left hand all the way to the left which causes it to curve more than usual. If he didn't have the Chakram glove on his left arm, it probably would've hit the other player instead of coming back at the end. 

Just this small part definitely shows precision in the motion controls and how well it works. Also like people said, the timing of "when" you curve affects your punches the most. If you curve it too quickly, it most likely will completely whiff the opponent. However if you punch straight and then curve it as it is near the opponent, your hit success rate is much much better. Still it's not gonna be easy hitting the opponent since the movement of this game is pretty mobile with all the dashes/jumps.

Can't deny that it does look very precise and dare I say... the bestest way to play the game?

Have been reading a lot of positive impressions from those who've played it for the past few days and this has gone from a meh to a pre-order for full price lol. 

• Upvote 3

For those that missed it:

There's a surprising amount of depth but I can't help but feel this would've been better as a pack-in game. Hopefully they'll have some bundles in Spring for all you late adopters. ;)

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-has-more-characters-to-announce-for-arms/

Nintendo has announced five characters for Arms so far. Players will be able to control Springman, Ribbon Girl, Master Mummy, Mechanica, or Ninjara.

During a stage show for Arms at the Nintendo Switch Experience 2017 in Japan last week, Kosuke Yabuki confirmed that there are more characters than are currently announced. It’s worth noting that Yabuki had been working on the Mario Kart series – with some other games sprinkled in – for ten years before becoming the producer of the Switch title.

Oh yes!

• Upvote 3

There is scope for a huge amount of characters. Sliders for speed, jump height, dash distance, stamina, body size, damage intake, etc. The tricky part for them would be to balance everyone for a launch without a large degree of player feedback. 

Only the arms are the player customisable element, right? You can pick all different types of weapon attachments which travel and control differently. 

It has the potential to be a really deep game. VF has a system where you can judge attack range from closed or open stances, I've been looking out for it here too as it would be the perfect game with it being virtual boxing an all. It could only really work when close up however. 

Characters video
Spring Man
- Shortly after performing a dash during the ARMS charge animation, there is a brief window where you will deflect an incoming attack
- When at 1/4th health remaining, both ARMS will be permanently in their charged state.

Ribbon Girl
- Can perform multiple mid-air jumps. No specific number given but it appears to be 2 jumps and 2 air dashes.
- Can perform a fast fall from mid-air to land.

Ninjara
- When performing a mid-air dash, he will disappear
- When blocking, you can perform a teleport (Parrying)

Master Mummy
- Will not flinch while dashing, jumping or attacking. The video looks like this includes walking, but he is actually dashing into the punches, so more parrying.
- While guarding, slowly recovers health

Mechanica
- Hold the jump button to hover.
- Will not flinch while dashing, jumping or attacking

ARMS video
Fire Punch
- When charged, sets opponent on fire and is an auto-knockdown on hit.

Big Punch
- When charged, fist increases in size and will deflect incoming punches.

Thunder Punch
- When charged, hit opponents will have restricted movement and cannot punch.

Boomerang
- Flies wide but has sharp curve
- When charged, hit opponents will be caught in a small tornado that will push them in the direction they were hit.

Revolver
- Fires three tethered missiles sequentially each punch.
- When charged, has the same effect as a Thunder Punch.
- Projectiles are weak, and all three can be deflected by any incoming punch.

Slapamander
- Whip-like and can hit opponents from behind
- When charged, has the same effect as a Fire Punch.

Really looking forward to this, I can see this becoming a local multiplayer favourite.

• Upvote 2

On 10-2-2017 at 18:50, Ale Crow said:

FUCK YEAH.

This is going to be fantastic. Look at all that wicked Nintendo gameplay and design.

So only 5 characters then 

I'll wait for some DLC or a price cut. Sorry, but as good as this looks, five characters is just not enough to warrant full price.

EDIT: Wait, what more characters?! Starting mental process of convincing myself I need to buy a Switch starting in 5... 4...

Some additional info about the game from a famitsu interview a few days back. Highlighted relevant info:

F: At this event, there are five characters available, each with three different types of arms. Will there be more characters in the retail version?
KY: There will be more characters, with more arm types. What we have available today is just a portion of what will be available in the full game. You can look forward to more information gradually coming out as the release date approaches.

F: You announced a single-player and online mode, but will there be any other modes available?
KY: There are many more that everyone can look forward to… but I can’t talk about them (laughs). Having only 1v1 matches in the online mode would be too exhausting, so there are other modes being prepared. However, the game is boiling down to 1v1 battles in the end, with them as the main focus and the other modes being on the side.

F: Can you play without any problems, using only one Joy-Con?
KY: Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you’re looking to get serious… that’s how we designed the game.

Full interview is found here

As a side note: ARMS shows that Nintendo has been moving around its internal development team onto new projects. The team that is doing this is the Mario Kart team.

• Upvote 1

On 18/01/2017 at 15:34, schmojo said:

That was bad tutorial design. It made it look like you had to twist it clockwise/anticlockwise. 

Once it became clear that you were twisting away/towards yourself, man... the 360s did flow...

Twisting? Are you high on high strength crack cocaine from Colombia or something? There was no twisting. Simply see-saw the controller.

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

As a side note: ARMS shows that Nintendo has been moving around its internal development team onto new projects. The team that is doing this is the Mario Kart team.

Hmm, that significantly reduces my hope that the game will have a satisfying progression structure, as that was the biggest of MK8's flaws.

12 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Hmm, that significantly reduces my hope that the game will have a satisfying progression structure, as that was the biggest of MK8's flaws.

Just because you couldn't progress past 50cc don't protect your negativities on this game me ol china ;)

• Upvote 2

God, I wish! The good old days of Nintendo racing games where longevity came from them actually being hard to beat rather than allowing you to breeze through them then expect you to keep replaying over and over (with no care about whether you even do well or not) in order to unlock more random pieces for your karts are long gone :( 

This looks better with each video. A properly exciting game that brings the joycons features to life.

Gives me the same warm, fuzzy feeling that Powerstone did on Dreamcast.