The Mighty Ash

ARMS - Ninty's Fight Club

Yeah, this looks really good. Despite having many reservations about the Switch - notably the shockingly limited lineup of games planned over the year and the battery life - this, plus the prospect of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors (and Zelda, if the painful stuttering evident in the preview build is eliminated by launch, as otherwise I guess I'll try that on Wii U) are actually tempting me.

That, and the possibility I'll be getting a few months' worth of backdated raise in a while thanks to the world's slowest HR department, so the costs mayn't feel too harsh.

• Upvote 1

It has button mode for traditional play, motion controls are optional. 

Looked great from the Treehouse stream, if this is their next exports game was expecting a splatoon like 30£ with extra content rolled out as time goes by. Let's see how this shapes up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Masu said:

"Additional accessories required for multiplayer mode. Sold separately"

Hmm..?

You need a pair of joy-cons each.

Goodness, it's the same price as Zelda to boot.:o What I saw today at the show is in no way comparable to Zelda in quality nor value for money, if indeed it has nothing else to offer. Man, Nintendo really are making life difficult for themselves..

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Man, looking at the website (>> http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/arms-switch#game-overview) it seems that this will be indeed all the content on offer - at full price to boot :(

I've just had a look at the link, and it doesn't seem to say anything about it being exactly the same - "Select from a variety of fighters – Select from brand-new fighting superstars like Ribbon Girl, Master Mummy, and more! Each fighter has their own special attributes to learn and master" doesn't confirm or deny the number of characters to me, for example, and throughout that Treehouse video they were careful to always use 'in this demo' when discussing the number of characters, the range of fists on offer etc.

I mean, yeah, it sounds like it's 'just' an over the shoulder fighting game, but as someone who loved the old Virtual On games, if there's a decent amount of content that wouldn't bother me. So long as, you know, it's actually good.

• Upvote 1

Same here, nothing in the link or in the stream suggest that 5 fighters is all that we're getting with this game.

That's not to say Nintendo isn't going to make it difficult for themselves, but let's wait for some more information on it. What's been shown so far looks very promising.

• Upvote 1

I have no interest in boxing or fighting games of any kind, but I was surprised by how fun this looks. Multiplayer will be amazing, and I love the art style. I am slightly apprehensive about the amount of content it'll have, but I guess it's no different to any other fighting/boxing/sports game - you get characters, arenas, and multiplayer.

All Switch games will need some decent single player content to play away from the house though, so hopefully there'll be some kind of challenge mode or something else to work through.

17 hours ago, HarMGM said:

Same here, nothing in the link or in the stream suggest that 5 fighters is all that we're getting with this game.

That's not to say Nintendo isn't going to make it difficult for themselves, but let's wait for some more information on it. What's been shown so far looks very promising.

It's out in 2 months' time. There's nothing on that site that says or even suggests "coming soon". This'll be the full roster - I'd bet on it. Oh well, what's there sure looks promising at least. Hoping for some DLC down the line then.

Will this game give you the option to play with just the handheld + joycons attached?

I ask because it's going to be very odd playing this in public if it still requires me to use joy cons to flail my arms about while looking at a 6 inch screen.

7 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

Will this game give you the option to play with just the handheld + joycons attached?

I ask because it's going to be very odd playing this in public if it still requires me to use joy cons to flail my arms about while looking at a 6 inch screen.

I should imagine so, perhaps holding the sticks back and pushing them forward with the appropriate amount of curve will mimic the Joy-Cons.

Just now, VN1X said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but apparently this has online as well. 

Good! Local MP is no use for me (and not just because of the accessory prices) - can't see my wife wanting to play this with me.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VN1X said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but apparently this has online as well. 

I'd certainly hope ARMS has online... it requires you use two joycons for 1 player.  So if it just had offline multiplayer, it'd cost you about $80 just for another set of joycons.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2017 at 20:41, Ale Crow said:

I reckon the long stretchy arms, with the variable time taken for fists to reach opponent and bendiness of the arms could be a very clever way to balance against any kind of imprecision that comes from motion controls, with some good old Nintendo design/balancing magic. Maybe adaptive auto-aim/magnetism and speeding up/slowing down the speed of the fists across the arena. All working behind the scenes while you have fun and feel awesome.

Yes, this could be a really clever design solution. Either way, looks like a great game to master alone or jut have some fun with friends.

2 hours ago, g wings said:

Yes, this could be a really clever design solution. Either way, looks like a great game to master alone or jut have some fun with friends.

This biggest hurdle with 'waggle', is exactly that you can just quickly flick your wrist to send countless punches to each other. 

Which is exactly what hindered Wii Sports - Boxing.

This, is classic Nintendo design though. Base the whole world of the game around the fact that a punch needs to take a while before it connects, to prevent people just spamming attack. Form following function.

If they have really managed to solve that issue with waggle, I really suspect that this might have punch out levels of depth. 

And depth > breadth, for these kind of things.

Without seeing any trailers etc. as I don't want to completely spoil it (I will wait for review scores and post-release WoM before deciding) - I'm getting Windjammers vibes off this one. I hope I haven't now jinxed it into being shit.

• Upvote 2

You can play this game:

- On a TV
- In handheld mode
- In splitscreen
- In fullscreen
- With motion controls
- With classic controls

32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Looks good but I really hope it has more fighters and arenas down the line. 

• Upvote 4