rllmuk
mdn2

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I'm in the same boat as Orka. I played XC1 but didn't complete it (got very far in i think)  i have completed Persona 4 though. If Octopath Traveller was out now i'd get that as i enjoyed the demo. I've got a nine and a half hour flight in May and i want something to occupy me. Nintendo get a XC2 demo out now!!

5 hours ago, boybrown said:

I'm in the same boat as Orka. I played XC1 but didn't complete it (got very far in i think)  i have completed Persona 4 though. If Octopath Traveller was out now i'd get that as i enjoyed the demo. I've got a nine and a half hour flight in May and i want something to occupy me. Nintendo get a XC2 demo out now!!

If you have a nine and a half hour flight you'll be able to defeat one normal enemy. 

• Upvote 3

The only fights I found dragged on were against Volffs, as each time you get down to one, they howl and summon two more. Must have had a fight against them in Uraya that lasted 20 minutes, once.

Taught me to use Seal Reinforcements, mind, so worthwhile.

Is this worth considering if you absolutely hated Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U? I tried for hours to get into that game but it was just a confusing mess. I couldn't make sense of anything and the game never seemed to stop throwing ever more overly convoluted concepts at me.

6 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Is this worth considering if you absolutely hated Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U? I tried for hours to get into that game but it was just a confusing mess. I couldn't make sense of anything and the game never seemed to stop throwing ever more overly convoluted concepts at me.

Absolutely. I strongly disliked X despite trying very hard. This is much more like the first Xenoblade Chronicles; probably better, if less revolutionary.

This game also has complicated concepts, but it drip feeds them and gives you characters and a story you actually care about, rather than XCX’s MMORPG Character Generator models in generic emptyland. 

• Upvote 2

Just beat a unique for Zenobia’s affinity chart who was a total damage sponge, and did the usual become-lethal-at-50%-health thing. But by the time it hit 50% health, I had six orbs on the bugger:

Overkill! Zenobia was doing stupid damage at the end.

Funny thing is, I’d got seven orbs on it in a previous fight and managed to lose - it survived the chain attack with a sliver of health and smashed me. I did a much better job of managing who smashed which orbs and in what order this time, meaning I got an extra round and ended on Zenobia for the full burst.

So, Parasite Aplacus, I have only this to say to you:

• Upvote 4

I got stuck on this months ago just before going into a factory on Chapter 4. Every time I come back to the game to try and get further I'm like, Oh, that's right, this bit. I have to try to get through a ventilation fan using superstrength level 2 which Poppy doesn't have. In order to level it up I have to put some items in a bag and hope they're her favourite. I have to navigate five different menus just to get to the list of items. I have no apparent way of knowing which of the twenty-odd items she likes. In the end I've ended up googling it because I couldn't find any other way of figuring out how to do it with the information the game was giving me. Apparently I need to put Juicy Samod in a bag. Juicy Samod is not one of the twenty-odd items I have.

There are people who think this is the best game of 2017.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

41 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

There are people who think this is the best game of 2017.

Best game this gen. 

For every minor fault there's 10 things it does better than any other game in its genre. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Yeah, I've already switched it off again, so that in another couple of months I can switch it back on and go, Oh, that's right, this bit.

Buy 5 Juicy Samods, eat them all and you've got Superstrength up, failing that I'm sure you've got a few core crystals knocking about? Open them all and see if any you unlock have Superstrength, it stacks so 3 Blades in your party with level 1 Superstrength is equal to level 3 Superstrength 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Best game this gen. 

For every minor fault there's 10 things it does better than any other game in its genre. 

A bold proclamation. If I name 10 of its minor faults, will you name the 100 things the game does better than Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 12? Perhaps you can begin your list:

1. Gigantic tits

2. Massive doll eyes

3. Soapy baths (female characters only)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Buy 5 Juicy Samods, eat them all and you've got Superstrength up, failing that I'm sure you've got a few core crystals knocking about? Open them all and see if any you unlock have Superstrength

All so I can go through a door. Thanks for the tips though.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

A bold proclamation. If I name 10 of its minor faults, will you name the 100 things the game does better than Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 12? Perhaps you can begin your list:

1. Gigantic tits

2. Massive doll eyes

3. Soapy baths (female characters only)

1) The story is utterly gripping and immersive, I've not played a game that I've cared about the characters so much since Final Fantasy 7

2) It has the single best combat system I've ever seen in an JRPG, its so in depth you can get 100 hours in and still be learning new things

3) It's beautiful, the fact you can play it on a handheld is mental, the locations are stunning and varied. 

4) The mini game in Toras House is loads of fun, I've spent hours just playing that alone. 

5) The salvaging is great, It's a game in itself. Buy cylinders, Salvage, Sell for profit. I've probably spent more time Salvaging than I should admit. 

6) Poppi, best character to come out of a JRPG ever. 

I'll list you a few more after tea. 

15 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

All so I can go through a door. Thanks for the tips though.

Although it is so you can go through a door it's giving you guidelines of things you should be levelling up for later on. I actually found getting my Blades levelled up really fun

36 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

1) The story is utterly gripping and immersive, I've not played a game that I've cared about the characters so much since Final Fantasy 7

2) It has the single best combat system I've ever seen in an JRPG, its so in depth you can get 100 hours in and still be learning new things

3) It's beautiful, the fact you can play it on a handheld is mental, the locations are stunning and varied. 

4) The mini game in Toras House is loads of fun, I've spent hours just playing that alone. 

5) The salvaging is great, It's a game in itself. Buy cylinders, Salvage, Sell for profit. I've probably spent more time Salvaging than I should admit. 

6) Poppi, best character to come out of a JRPG ever. 

I'll list you a few more after tea. 

Most of these come down to personal preference, of course. To your first point, for instance, I found the story and characters as abysmal as each other, but I don't think I've played a single JRPG with a distinguished narrative, and there are maybe a handful of video games of any genre I'd describe as well-written. Off the top of my head, I can think of precisely zero. Even within the disreputable confines of the JRPG genre, I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of the most embarrassing narratives I've had to endure.

The combat is complex, though - I'll give you that. Unfortunately for me it's the same kind of complex as filling out a tax return.

The game's environments are indeed lovely, and were the main thing that kept me playing. On a TV, anyway - in handheld mode the resolution is dreadful - but I played mostly docked and thought each new area was pretty gorgeous.

You can't be serious about that salvaging game, though. I mean, even if you enjoyed it, you can't seriously suggest that as one of 100 masterpiece-defining aspects of the game. It's a three-button QTE. Am I misremembering this?

13 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Can't be serious about that salvaging game, though. I mean, even if you enjoyed it, you can't seriously suggest that as one of 100 masterpiece-defining aspects of the game. It's a three-button QTE. Am I misremembering this?

No, you're right but I really enjoy it, win some loot, possibly a baddie to fight to give you Exp, sell your wares and buy more Cylinders, it's a fun little difference away from the missions 

The Merc Missions aswell actually, I send my favourite blades on Merc Missions to level them up until they're battle ready then put them into my team and see what they're like. 

I understand the game isn't for everyone but it's really resonated with me, in the same way Fallout 3 did. Maybe it's because I don't really get in to a lot of games and give up fairly quickly but this I adore. 

• Upvote 2

Huh, I didn’t have a problem there - I’d already been keeping an eye on affinity charts and filling out nodes ASAP. Also, isn’t it Fizz Juice you want? Get it from Twelve Brothersisterpon in Argentum. You can get Juicy Samod from the Rumbletum Canteen, also Argentum.

Fairly sure the affinity node will say something like “Use Poppi Alpha’s favourite item from the drinks category” or something, so there is some clue. Sounds like you’re mixing up collectibles and pouch goods, too. You need to buy pouch goods, not collect them.

The game does involve micromanagement, but for me it’s the fun, always-something-to-tweak kind, rather than the just-fuck-off-and-let-me-get-on-with-it kind (like inventory management in old RE games). The borderline silly depth of systems is one of the things that makes the game great (also: world building, likeable characters, compelling plot, ace battle system, great environments and best-in-class localisation). 

It sounds like you’re not enjoying it and you’re pissed off that other people are. Life’s too short - sell it and move on. 

49 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

It sounds like you’re not enjoying it and you’re pissed off that other people are. Life’s too short - sell it and move on. 

Alternatively, I'm using a gaming discussion forum to discuss a game.

I think you're right about me confusing collectibles and pouch goods. I stopped buying stuff from shops maybe two or three hours into the game when almost everything I window-shopped for was along the seemingly negligible lines of 'Increase water attacks by 2%' or whatever.

1.4.0 landing on April 27th. Adding another guest character from Xenosaga as a NG+ gacha blade, and adding the first of the DLC blades to the main game (obtained via quest).

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/7095-xenoblade-chronicles-2-update-1-4-0-adds-new-rare-blades-t-elos-and-poppi-buster

Some spoilers for the DLC blade quest in those images. Don’t care about NG+ or Xenosaga, but the DLC blade looks fun. 

Turns out the new Xenosaga blade isn’t NG+ only - you just have to have beaten the final boss and have that star medal thing showing on your menu screen.

Updated before leaving the house this morning, looking to sneak in some lunchtime play. 

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Turns out the new Xenosaga blade isn’t NG+ only - you just have to have beaten the final boss and have that star medal thing showing on your menu screen.

Updated before leaving the house this morning, looking to sneak in some lunchtime play. 

171 hours and I've just pulled the trigger on a new game..... hoping I did the right thing :P

Needed cash to level up Sheba’s affinity chart, and noticed she has nodes for selling items.

Probably time to do an accessory purge, I thought. Sorted by category, kept the best three items in each category and sold the rest. 

Ten minutes later, I’ve gone from 80,000G to 1,200,000G. :blink:

Of course, I immediately put 600,000G into Sheba’s piggy bank, but nice nudge mechanic, Monolith! Hadn’t realised I was sitting on a goldmine.