Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2 hours ago, SMD said:

If that's what I think it is

Reveal hidden contents

Rare blade quest as a general rule of thumb if you can't do something in the main quest or just roaming, it's for a rare blade.

... and... as if by PURE COINCIDENCE... they belong to Zenobia's affinty quest. :)  Thanks for nudging me in the right direction...

5 minutes ago, Freeman said:

’Think you can take me [out]’ 

‘Don’t forget me’ [we won't]

:(

This article is so off the mark.  Glad I finished the story before they patched it, especially if they continue to patch out the lovely localisation that added bags to the charm of the game imo.

The patch also says:

"Voiced segments in menus can now be skipped with the A or B button."

Does that mean it's now quicker to bond with a new blade, or is it just changing the skip mapping from + to A/B ?

That article was so wrong I had to comment - suspect the author is American?  'Awful Scottish accents'...FUCKING C'MERE YOU....!!1 THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME!?!?!?!?

53 minutes ago, scottcr said:

... and... as if by PURE COINCIDENCE... they belong to Zenobia's affinty quest. :)  Thanks for nudging me in the right direction...

They just need to make the rare blades less of a fucking lottery so people can actually get on with quests.

8 minutes ago, SMD said:

They just need to make the rare blades less of a fucking lottery so people can actually get on with quests.

I agree with that... maybe something in the DLC will make it easier if you've completed the game.  I'll be getting the DLC though now that I'm nearly finished.

final chapter but not yet complete... I'm taking a step back to go and do some affinity quests and explore a bit before heading off to the end - I'd say overall I think I preferred this game to Xenoblade 1.  I don't think Gormott was really as impressive or epic as it was stepping out onto Bionis' Leg for the first time, but overall, this game was tighter, faster paced and more focussed.  The wider range of characters were more memorable and interesting and combat was further refined.  

felt a lot closer to xenoblade thematically than I was expecting as well

I hope we get an XCX re-master in the meantime while we wait for then next one?

I'm on chapter 6 now, around 40-45 hours and had to take a break. All my previous complaints still ring true, it's an utter mess of a game but when it's good, it's great. I can't help but feel Monolith need a new director as all of their projects seem to run over and end up rather bloated. 

Anyway, Nia is easily my favourite character so far. She's sharp and cutting with her dialogue. I don't mind all of them bar the filthy Nopon bastard and his mehmehmeh.

Going to get back to it tonight I think.

I'm on chapter 6 now, around 40-45 hours and had to take a break. All my previous complaints still ring true, it's an utter mess of a game but when it's good, it's great. I can't help but feel Monolith need a new director as all of their projects seem to run over and end up rather bloated. 

Anyway, Nia is easily my favourite character so far. She's sharp and cutting with her dialogue. I don't mind all of them bar the filthy Nopon bastard and his mehmehmeh.

Going to get back to it tonight I think.

I'd describe it as chaotic - but I couldn't describe it as a mess.  The UI could do with some further streamlining as there's a bit of unnecessary busy work in some areas but when it comes to JRPGs, this and XC1 are still leagues ahead of anything else IMO.  

Was off sick today, and played about 4hrs of this. Drew a few more rare blades on Nia, but all ones that use enormous weapons that she’s too slow with - Zenobia, Godfrey, Dagas - I just want a decent healer! She has an L2 Bitballer who’s doing good work, though. I absolutely love timing cancels with the Bitball - are there any rares that use one?

Despite wanting a second healer for Nia, I’ve left Ursula on Rex in the end, as she seems to be a very aggressive healer variant - none of her Blade Arts are actually heal, and with Rex most knuckle arts are physical based, with very fast charge-up times. If I’m maining Rex, I can switch to Ursula for a quick burst of healing (20% for whole party on blade switch) and to rapidly charge up my blade arts, to the point where I can contribute both L2 and L3 ice attacks to a Blade Combo.

Story-wise, I’ve got a 4th party member, who is a pretty ugly design with a pretty ugly blade, but has a gloriously stereotypical Aussie accent, so I’ll forgive him for the moment. 

There's a section in chapter 6 that is either signposted abysmally, or I'm going the wrong way. The marker just feels like it's directing me to the nearest cliff.

The battle AI doesn't work properly, I've been knocked off cliffs and platforms way too many times, and the random Lv80 monsters knocking around will still wander over and aggro you while you're in the middle of a completely unrelated fight. I've even been killed through a wall.

Still fucking playing though. The good moments are great, some of the characters are excellent but it's so fucking shonky at times.

6 hours ago, scottcr said:

I'd describe it as chaotic - but I couldn't describe it as a mess.  The UI could do with some further streamlining as there's a bit of unnecessary busy work in some areas but when it comes to JRPGs, this and XC1 are still leagues ahead of anything else IMO.  

Not even close. They don't touch the best Japanese RPGs out there, as much as I have enjoyed them. People just love them because busy work open world games are popular. Heck The Last Story was much better than Xenoblade with a miles better battle system. 

That aside, I do like this game overall and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the story now. 

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

Not even close. They don't touch the best Japanese RPGs out there, as much as I have enjoyed them. People just love them because busy work open world games are popular. Heck The Last Story was much better than Xenoblade with a miles better battle system. 

That aside, I do like this game overall and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the story now. 

I don’t like busy work open world games... at all. So that’s that theory out the window.

I enjoy the imaginative world building, theme and wonderful characters. It’s moves at a good pace and doesn’t get bogged down. 

17 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Was off sick today, and played about 4hrs of this. Drew a few more rare blades on Nia, but all ones that use enormous weapons that she’s too slow with - Zenobia, Godfrey, Dagas - I just want a decent healer! She has an L2 Bitballer who’s doing good work, though. I absolutely love timing cancels with the Bitball - are there any rares that use one?

Still off sick, but Nia just drew Boreas, a rare bitball healer, from a common crystal. Good work, Nia.

One slight problem is that Boreas is so gigantic, it’s sometimes hard to see Nia’s attack animations and time the cancels accordingly.

Having fun now the game is letting me use chain attacks. Just used them to take out a unique a full 4 levels above me, something that would have been impossible at a similar stage of the game in XC1. 

2 hours ago, Dave White said:

Sweet jesus the balancing is so off on this sometimes, some battles are nigh on impossible, the *SNIP SNIP SNIP* encounter on chapter 7 is like root canal surgery with no novacaine.  Love the game but some spikes really taint the fun.

Agreed. Having hit a few spikes myself, I overlevelled my team for one session around midgame and have been ahead of the difficulty curve since. 

25 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Agreed. Having hit a few spikes myself, I overlevelled my team for one session around midgame and have been ahead of the difficulty curve since. 

I think I hit two main spikes... in the arena and the one mentioned above. In both instances I levelled up to two levels above the enemy and it was still a challenge, but careful use of the right blades, arts and chaining made a massive difference.

I’m now sad that I’m at the end :(

seems much more focussed and also a bit shorter than XC1.

loved it 

oh - I found out how to add someone to my party when it was down to 2.

some of my affinity quests now require field skills way beyond my capability - I haven't spent enough time during the story heading off and upgrading these.  Slightly frustrating when the only way to unlock the next level of affinity to up trust.  I don't entirely understand the Poppi upgrade stuff and I think I'm now a bit penalised for it.  Oh well - time to grind Tiger Tiger!

This game :wub:

Did loads of salvaging today to buy my way into the Warehouse at Argentum so I could raise Boreas’ affinity (I know there’s a back door, but it would have taken ages to get my Nopon Wisdom skill high enough). You can make money really quickly selling some of the salvage sets - some of the Gormott ones pay 19000+. 

16 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

This game :wub:

Did loads of salvaging today to buy my way into the Warehouse at Argentum so I could raise Boreas’ affinity (I know there’s a back door, but it would have taken ages to get my Nopon Wisdom skill high enough). You can make money really quickly selling some of the salvage sets - some of the Gormott ones pay 19000+. 

ooft - I'm at the end game 'point of no return' and I haven't even seen this warehouse bit...

must admit, I haven't really salvaged much other than when it's been really required to progress, I couldn't stay away from the story for too long. :)

To my immense surprise, I just managed a perfect run on Stage 1 of Tiger Tiger. All four medals, 65k points. I was only trying to get 20k for Poppi’s L3 affinity - hopefully the score will stand for her L4 affinity (50k), as I doubt I can do that again. 

10 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

To my immense surprise, I just managed a perfect run on Stage 1 of Tiger Tiger. All four medals, 65k points. I was only trying to get 20k for Poppi’s L3 affinity - hopefully the score will stand for her L4 affinity (50k), as I doubt I can do that again. 

It does stack.  

has anyone managed to beat Parasite Aplacus yet, and if so... what level were your characters?  It's level 58 and my level 71 gang can barely make a dent in it.  I even managed to do a 4 orb element burst chain attack on the bastard that did 1308979 damage... and it still battered me.

If I remember correctly he ...

Spoiler

...spikes (which does massive damage) when he gets enraged which is usually about half health. Equip spike defence aux cores on all the blades you are using and try and do a chain attack just before he gets to half health,  just build up orbs until that point. I also took out as many of the other guys hanging around before attacking him to avoid them adding extra problems, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I'm staying away from the actual final boss and exploring now - I've unlocked 4 new named Blades in the last couple of days.  I found a Lucky Core Crystal which seems to pretty much guarantee a rare.

The latest one I unlocked was one called Newt... absolutely hilarious as well.

Nice touch about Boreas - his affinity chart is almost entirely based on using different food-based pouch items (e.g. Use sweets, use drinks, etc), but after you do so, his flavour text on the completed affinity node tells you another character’s favourite food. Let me discover Pyra’s favourite drink, which I needed to unlock her affinity chart. I also noted Zenobia’s affinity chart is pretty ace - you have to kill a specific named unique for each node. 

Funny, I posted in the Switch thread how refreshing the quests were, particularly noting that no-one had asked me to Kill X Ys - but I just realised that the affinity graph asks you to do that kind of thing quite a lot. But somehow it feels better doing it to unlock affinity than just being given a makework quest by a generic NPC. 

On spoilers, I’d say anything plot related should be spoilers, but stuff about rare blades got from vanilla core crystals is fair game. I’ve already had a few things spoilt, but I’m not that bothered - kind of interested to see whether they’re foreshadowed and how the game pulls them off!

zenobia blade quest

argh - the stones to release the big monster need me to level up loads of field skills, this is going to take a while.  I'm really enjoying her affinity quests though, jumping all over the world battering named monsters.

Done and dusted. What a journey.

Finished the final battle in my first attempt, taking the story to 97 hours. I went in the same level as the boss but it was not prepared for what I unleashed. It was a similar story with all bosses ever since that harsh schooling at the end of chapter 3.

I’ll miss the gang and Alrest. Sad to think we’ll never see these characters again outside of the DLC. That’s what separates finishing this from Zelda. Poppi in particular deserves a spin off game and series of her own.