Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

What's strange about that is that all three of my team have a Fire driver at present; I picked fire for all three and they targeted different orbs.

Will play around with it a bit more, probably need to change the team up a bit.

As Larsen says, you need to set up orbs of the opposing elements; attacks always target a random orb unless you use an attack which is the opposing element of an orb, in which case they will always attack the opposing orb. So, in your case, if you had a water orb floating around you could guarantee that your team would destroy it in two hits by using fire attacks, then for your third attack of the cycle you can safely opt for another element (ideally one where, again, you have an opposing element orb to target, as that means in the next round you can guarantee the destruction of it by repeating the attack element used).

It's been a while, but IIRC the oppositions are:

Fire <> Water

Earth <> Lightning

Dark <> Light

Ice <> Wind

chapter 7 chat

Must admit, being down to only 2 drivers made it really tough... I reckon it's done to force you to make Nia into blade form... but with Nia with no WP points, the battles took a lot longer than normal with constant healing, which made it more grindy than normal.  A couple of named beasts made it a pest in certain areas and I ended up just having to leg it to the end of chapter battle and avoid combat, something I've not really done since the beginning of the game.  I imagine that's deliberate.

Absolutely 100% invested in the story and characters now.  I think it's better at keeping the pace than XC1 was.

Just discovered that I can Quick Travel to the Argentum Trade Guild in Chapter 3, despite having no means of transport (indeed, the main plot quest is all about finding a ship). That’s… convenient, if plot-breakingly odd?

Talked to lots of Nopon and levelled up Poppi’s Nopon Wisdom skill anyway, and managed to find her favourite pouch item too. I also found a Core Chip in a chest which is so ridiculously overpowered compared to the rest of my gear that it probably constitutes cheating (it would take Rex’s damage up to 219). I’ll sit on it until I can legitimately get back to Argentum. 

New patch today. Exciting, right? It’s a fantastic game but there’s plenty that can make it even better. One of the changes...

’Think you can take me’ and ‘don’t forget me’ have been removed.

Um...

This has to be the worst patch any game has ever received.

2 hours ago, DC LEMON said:

New patch today. Exciting, right? It’s a fantastic game but there’s plenty that can make it even better. One of the changes...

Um...

This has to be the worst patch any game has ever received.

YOU'RE JOKING?!?!?!

I'd interpret this as seeing people posting it and talking about it as a negative, when we actually love it.

3 minutes ago, Dave White said:

fucking hell whats with the environmental stuff on chapter 7. Im stuck on a cliff , I have poppis wall leap up but its saying I need to raise earth? Proper stupid design this. any pointers?

change your assigned blades across *all characters* (not just the active ones) to have the appropriate level.  

10 minutes ago, Dave White said:

cheers scottcr, its so not clear

yeah - took me a bit to figure that out... then when I did, I concentrated more on levelling up my blades (hover over skills to find out what you need to do) and opening up areas in bits earlier in the game.  To be honest, it was around Chapter 7 where I did that... I think I cheesed my way into the old factory in Mor Ardain but managing to fall off a cliff but not die and leg it past some massive level basts.

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

If you buy the season pass, can you pick which items you want to download? Quite tempted by the extra quests, extra blade etc, but the helpful items seem a bit like cheating/P2W. 

honest - don't worry about the extra items... just roll with it

Got my first rare blade last night - Electra, a child lightning elemental tank with a massive hammer, bonded to Nia. Got her from my first Rare Core Crystal.

Immediately fast-travelled back to Torigoth to buy her a decent Core Chip, only for her subquest to start, and she ran away. Safely back in the fold now, though.

The hammer seems incredibly slow, meaning she’s slow to build up arts. Guess I’ll make her a secondary blade, and charge up quickly with Dromarch’s hoops before switching her in. Got to say, I find the fact that the Blade Arts charge-up is shared between your blades quite counter-intuitive, for all that it’s mechanically useful. 

Relieved it’s a largely unsexualised character, and not one of the enormous tit-monsters. 

7 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Got to say, I find the fact that the Blade Arts charge-up is shared between your blades quite counter-intuitive, for all that it’s mechanically useful.

This does get solved when you unlock the "have the Art assigned to Y straight away" etc. skills on your various drivers' affinity trees.

Got another rare core crystal, used a salad of boosters and opened it with Nia… L2 common blade. Balls. 

Popped open a common with Rex afterwards, just for giggles, and got Ursula, a little girl with a giant polar bear. Ice element healer with claw weapons. 

I don’t think I mind the gacha element so much, but the blade being bound to whoever resonated the crystal is a nuisance. Ursula looks like she’d be great for Nia, but I don’t want to use one of the scanty overdrive protocols. 

So I cheesed my way off of the (up to chap 9 spoilers)

Titan weapon on Temperantia and down to the surface for an explore...  Bloody hell, there's so much stuff down there.  Found a group of lizard monsters worshiping some massive monster in a miasma field, I managed to get rid of that, but then couldn't get rid of the ice block afterwards.  So, in my rage, I stole all the groups loot which included a legendary crystal from which I got another rare blade.  NICE.

Most of the monsters in this area are around the high 40s, and I'm 64, so I reckon I'm massively levelled and should have been there earlier... is there another way to get down to the ground without cheesing it down like I feel I did?

I also found..

A blocked up cave entrance with 4 stones in front of it with different coloured glyphs on them.  There was one level 60 odd monster around it and some swamp, which made it difficult.  I do't seem to be able to do anything at the stones.. is this something I should ignore for now, is this part of the story for later??

8 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Got another rare core crystal, used a salad of boosters and opened it with Nia… L2 common blade. Balls. 

Popped open a common with Rex afterwards, just for giggles, and got Ursula, a little girl with a giant polar bear. Ice element healer with claw weapons. 

I don’t think I mind the gacha element so much, but the blade being bound to whoever resonated the crystal is a nuisance. Ursula looks like she’d be great for Nia, but I don’t want to use one of the scanty overdrive protocols. 

Definitely use an overdrive to put Ursula to Nia if you can.

Am I right that if you're going for the classic DPS/Tank/Healer trinity, the CPU can't be trusted to use a mixed set of blades safely? e.g. if I gave Nia a Tank blade (Electra), then would I hit situations where I need healing, but she's busy tanking and can't/won't switch back?

4 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Am I right that if you're going for the classic DPS/Tank/Healer trinity, the CPU can't be trusted to use a mixed set of blades safely? e.g. if I gave Nia a Tank blade (Electra), then would I hit situations where I need healing, but she's busy tanking and can't/won't switch back?

I've found once you get to higher levels, the battle system is a bit more nuanced than that. If you level up the skills grid or whatever it's called, you'll find that your party switch blades à lot more depending on the situation. It might even be more beneficial to not have 3 blades of the same type for them. For example, Nia might have 2 healers and a tank - she won't attract aggro depending on your set-up but sometimes she loses health from AoE attacks and won't health quick enough. If she has a tank, she can heal herself and absorb damage too before switching back.

Same with your tank types, having two tank blades and one attack means they can absorb a lot of damage then dish some out if there's an opportunity.

I started sticking with a few regular rare blades towards the end, so when the special affinity attacks line up for a combo, you can nudge them into switching by setting up a specific combo. For example, if your healer has an electric type tank then if you switch to a blade with a light special and use that, the AI will switch over to offer you the ability to continue the combo. You don't have to use it though so the battle continues while your party member sticks with the tank. Of course if they have more than one blade that can contribute then they'll start to switch but by and large the AI knew what I wanted to do.

27 minutes ago, SMD said:

You need to go to the location mentioned in the Merc quest or affinity chart.

I will do - once this endless set of cut-scenes in the Final Chapter finish...

Also, question about Temperantia

sounds as though those 4 stones with glyphs that I found have nothing to do with the main quest - any hints?

Just now, scottcr said:

I will do - once this endless set of cut-scenes in the Final Chapter finish...

Also, question about Temperantia

Hide contents

sounds as though those 4 stones with glyphs that I found have nothing to do with the main quest - any hints?

If that's what I think it is

Spoiler

Rare blade quest as a general rule of thumb if you can't do something in the main quest or just roaming, it's for a rare blade.

’Think you can take me [out]’ 

‘Don’t forget me’ [we won't]

:(

This article is so off the mark.  Glad I finished the story before they patched it, especially if they continue to patch out the lovely localisation that added bags to the charm of the game imo.

The patch also says:

"Voiced segments in menus can now be skipped with the A or B button."

Does that mean it's now quicker to bond with a new blade, or is it just changing the skip mapping from + to A/B ?