Who's buying a Switch at launch?

Who's buying a Switch at launch?  

502 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Out of all my IRL gaming pals - it's gone from none of them pre-ordering, to 3 of them now pre-ordering.  I'm probably going to join them next week if I can be sure of getting the funding in place.

YAS NINTENDO BABY

But have you convinced your Gran yet mate ;-)

2 hours ago, momomo said:

I guess I like to tinker about to get things going.

Well each to their own, cant believe i am being negged for stating an opinion and showing an alternative to people here.

I negged you for posting an enourmous, unrelated image which is pain in the arse when reading the forum on my phone. 

As far as I'm concerned, spend your money on whatever makes you happy. ^_^

1 hour ago, S0L said:

Be wary, I've had my eye on one of those for a while as a tinker machine, but don't expect Dolphin to run games at their original framerate. A lot of the examples I've seen have various graphical issues and people are using the PAL versions of the game as it can manage 50fps for some, but not certainly not 60fps. A number of people have managed to overclock to get better results, but they recommend taking them to bits to make sure the heatsink is properly mated up to the CPU/GPU as that's not always the case out of the factory.

It does however manage to run the Windows version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed reasonably well at low settings. I knew that Intel GPU optimisation would come in handy one day!

If you want to play GameCube stuff, you'd likely be better off with a cheap second hand Wii. Though of course, not portable that.

Or there are still rumours Switch will have GameCube Virtual Console. Which oddly... Is about the same price as a GPD Win...

Come on get cracking on Sonic & all stars racing megamix hype turbo edition for the switch. You know it makes sense. Or maybe convert Daytona 3 for it....

8 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Come on get cracking on Sonic & all stars racing megamix hype turbo edition for the switch. You know it makes sense. Or maybe convert Daytona 3 for it....

I'd love too, however I'm sort of busy with Crackdown3. As MS own that, Switch version unlikely :)

Whilst I won't be buying the console at launch I have ordered the Breath Of The Wild limited edition with Master Sword model... :rolleyes:

I'll certainly buy the Switch within the next six months but the sheer volume of games I own on 3DS and PS4 that I've yet to play crave the attention more. Oh, and Titanfall 2 is soooooo good it's consuming 80% of my gaming time.

My preorder is still in but I'm expecting it to be the most disappointing console launch I've ever been in on. It can't really be anything else to anyone who doesn't already own a Wii U. I'm ashamed of myself for seemingly not having the willpower to sit this one out and play Breath of the Wild with an extra £280 in my bank account.

And for some reason Nintendo decided to reupload this hamfisted treehouse presentation of Bomberman.

I'm in for launch day. 

The hardware itself looks wonderful and while the launch line up isn't great, Breath of the Wild will be more than enough to be going on with. There's no way I'd be able to resist once Mario comes out anyway and so the small saving I may or may not get if I waited until then isn't worth missing out on the chance to play Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, and Snipper Clips in the meantime. 

I would only jump into one of these if I played it first and liked it. Other than Zelda, the line-up is poor. Based on my experience of Wii and the Wii-U that wouldn't result in me getting one though. 

For those that jump into the Switch for day one, I hope that investment pays you back over a greater distance than the Wii-U 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38689991

17 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I would only jump into one of these if I played it first and liked it. Other than Zelda, the line-up is poor. Based on my experience of Wii and the Wii-U that wouldn't result in me getting one though. 

For those that jump into the Switch for day one, I hope that investment pays you back over a greater distance than the Wii-U 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38689991

Thats an odd way to look at it, I could sell my wii u now for more than I paid for it and all the games have held their value - without looking I would guess I can make a tiny loss or poss small profit on my total outlay on wii u and all games etc so my 'investment' has been better than pretty much any console ever ;)

Not that I'm selling the wii u, love it!

On 1/20/2017 at 15:21, momomo said:

I have decided I will buy A GPD WIN instead. Its the same price. £280.

Not much information on here about it (unless I have searched incorrectly).

Its a Windows 10 Pocket PC that will play some new games albeit with setting turned down.

The subreddit (get rid of extra space)

https://www.reddit    .com/r/gpdwin/comments/595kax/games_that_are_a_good_fit_for_the_win_nonemulation/

The thing that really sold it to me was that the Dolphin (GC and WII) Emulator it runs so nicely

check out this guy playing Twilight princess on it.

I have one of those, and it's good for the millions of indie games that I have in my steam library but never find time to play at a desktop. However I really don't see how it compares to the Switch. They do different things, play different games, and are vastly different in design and build quality.

You're also massively over-selling the GPD Win. Dolphin is far from stable in most games - get outside of the starting area and Twilight Princess' fps collapses even in 50hz mode - and while it's possible to play new games on it, I'm not sure why you would want to given the compromises that have to be made. It's good for indie games - at least those don't require much precision as the GPD Win controls are ghastly - and emulation up to Dreamcast but it's not going to offer you anything like the Switch is with games like BotW.

8 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Its not just a money thing, investment in more your time, energy and blind faith in it working out. The Wii-U has been a dodo for quite some time. I hope that 18 months into the Switch you don't get that same feeling.

I hope I do get the same feeling after 18 months!! I love the wii u and its easily had the best games of this gen on it - its not my main machine and neither will the switch be because I get hooked on silly FPS games and Destiny - my only concern with the Switch is the kids being able to nick it before  I get home and then I can't play the thing ;)

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I hope I do get the same feeling after 18 months!! I love the wii u and its easily had the best games of this gen on it - its not my main machine and neither will the switch be because I get hooked on silly FPS games and Destiny - my only concern with the Switch is the kids being able to nick it before  I get home and then I can't play the thing ;)

Parental controls app will sort that right out ;)

I'm going to hide my Switch in my bedroom so the kids don't know I have one. 

My eldest wants one for Xmas (yes I know it's January but kids will be kids) so I don't want to tarnish her experience by getting to play on mine. Also I don't want the little gits scratching my Switch!

8 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I hope I do get the same feeling after 18 months!! I love the wii u and its easily had the best games of this gen on it -

Can you list these Wii U games that are easily superior to, say, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, The Last Guardian etc so I can go out and buy them?

7 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I mean, I get that Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are great games, but 'easily' the best games released in the last three years? Nope.

Tokyo Mirage is, without a doubt.

Thing is , these are all subjective and personal preference, you can keep your Witcher 3, Bloodbourne and Last Guardians, I'd rather play the multitude of games mentioned above, but I realise that others may value the games you mentioned in higher regard and that is fine, but what one person thinks is better may be the worst game ever to someone else.

2 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I mean, I get that Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are great games, but 'easily' the best games released in the last three years? Nope.

Splatoon is probably the best game of the generation and I haven't even played it! 

11 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Tokyo Mirage is, without a doubt.

Thing is , these are all subjective and personal preference, you can keep your Witcher 3, Bloodbourne and Last Guardians, I'd rather play the multitude of games mentioned above, but I realise that others may value the games you mentioned in higher regard and that is fine, but what one person thinks is better may be the worst game ever to someone else.

Well, obviously. But saying 'this system easily has the best games of this gen' is quite different from saying 'these were my favourite games'. I absolutely loved Pikmin 4 and Mario Kart 8 (I'll be buying it again on Switch - I'm a sucker) but I wouldn't dream of suggesting they were easily better than everything else. Or Salt and Sanctuary, which snuck in right at the end to become my favourite game of the year, is clearly not the best game released last year.