IGNORED

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - New Tracks Released!

Sarlaccfood

4 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Didn't the wii u mario kart 8 do exactly the same thing thinking about it?

It definitely didn't. Matchmaking would put you into DLC / non-DLC filters and you wouldn't be able to join friends playing on DLC tracks.

I bought this again for the third time thanks to the DLC news.

Playing a few mirror GPs I never bothered 3 starring last time, fuuuck it’s so good isn’t it?

Such a tight game to play and still looks spectacular. 

17 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I bought this again for the third time thanks to the DLC news.

Playing a few mirror GPs I never bothered 3 starring last time, fuuuck it’s so good isn’t it?

Such a tight game to play and still looks spectacular. 

Third time? Did you buy it twice on Wii U? 

Incredibly excited for this. Used to play every lunchtime against a pal at work and for aaaaaages went undefeated but he kept getting better and better to the point where it became rare for me to sneak a win. Looking forward to the rivalry heating up all over again in a month.

4 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Third time? Did you buy it twice on Wii U? 

WiiU first, then bought it again when I first got my Switch and there wasn’t much else, but traded it in after a while as I felt I rinsed it and was sure there’d be no more tracks released.

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

WiiU first, then bought it again when I first got my Switch and there wasn’t much else, but traded it in after a while as I felt I rinsed it and was sure there’d be no more tracks released.

I don't own any cartridge games at all for Switch and it genuinely hadn't occurred to me that people could buy Switch games, trade the cartridge in then buy again :)

11 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

I don't own any cartridge games at all for Switch and it genuinely hadn't occurred to me that people could buy Switch games, trade the cartridge in then buy again :)

Mate with Nintendo 1st party you basically get a brand new game for like a tenner.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Which is quite a disappointment if I'm honest. One part of the game will still look gorgeous, while the other will look like lower grade filler.

Looks wise absolutely. Quality wise I don't know. Tour plays entirely different to MK8 by necessity of the limitations of the platform so unless they're going to make the (new) courses longer/more interesting it might be a bit shit. Time will tell.

If I was being cynical I'd absolutely say it's the easy, cheaper way of wringing more money out of an 8 year old game. Doesn't mean it isn't work to port it but you'd kind of hope they'd match the aesthetics at least. Still people are pleased with more content for the game.

12 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Word on the street is that these extra tracks are just spruced up MK Tour tracks, instead of tracks that have been given the same level of polish as the rest of the MK 8 DX tracks :(

omg the guy saying this is a cynical move to lock in family member subscribers for the long term and it’s worse for them because it’s more expensive. Lad! You share your sub with eight people!

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/02/2022 at 23:35, Keyboard Koala said:

Which is quite a disappointment if I'm honest. One part of the game will still look gorgeous, while the other will look like lower grade filler.

Or not!

Going from quite disappointed to cautiously optimistic, which means I'll buy it on release now.

12 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Or not!

Going from quite disappointed to cautiously optimistic, which means I'll buy it on release now.

They've not really done that much here, just a few material swaps, better lighting pass and some new scenery assets. None of the course modelling has changed, so I think its a quick attempt to spruce them up. Fundamentally the models look simpler and a bit more stylised than the original tracks, which will be fine but not the same as original track set to the discerning eye... not that it will matter whilst being battered by 5 shells in a row.

Yeah - I think the materials being updated add a lot though! More physics I noticed on Rock Rock Mountain. Modders have access and posting footage on Twitter. I'm quite impressed it's actually had some further work done and feels improved enough from the MKT base.

I can see the tracks/cup selection in my game now but it says I have to purchase the booster pass or online expansion pack to play them.

I have the online expansion pack, so presumably I need to wait till 11pm? I have a friend in Japan who’s playing the new tracks already.