Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - DLC Wave 3 Out December 7th.

Sarlaccfood

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

The peach one is good, and the snowy course is great for Christmas (remember when games did that?) 

Yep, I need to crack on with Banjo Kazoo to unlock the Christmas level. Also got Nights into Dreams on my PS3 for the Christmas version of that

The quality seems a bit higher with these eight new courses. The City ones are decent, the only one I’m not that keen on is Peach’s Gardens. 

The real winner, as always, is the soundtrack. The music always has such high production values 🥰

2 hours ago, DC said:

This game is incredible.

It’s up there isn’t it, in the greatest games of all time. 

Makes you wonder what they will do next for Mario Kart 9. We know we have another year of these booster courses so the earliest they could possibly release it is 2024, which is now another reason why I think we won’t get a Switch successor until then. 

I would love it if when all these courses are done they release a physical GOTY version with them all on. 

I hate this game. Fucking hate it. It's slightly depressing that I can't get on the GOAT train as I see why people think it's a greatest ever but the weapons utterly ruin it for me. You can be the most mad ninja skilled person at it in the universe but if the AI decides it wants Lightning, Lightning, Red Shell, Blue shell on the last lap then there's fuck all you can do to stop it. Red Shells are easily dealt with if you're quick enough but you rarely get the horn when you're in first so you're fucked with the Blue Shell and Lightning has no counter as far as I can tell.

Not a very popular opinion but there we go. I still bought the new track pass thingy anyway which is why I've gone back to it. if I'm honest ultimately I prefer Mario Kart Tour as a Mario Kart game because its structure, the way it changes tracks up and the fact it's not so reliant on weapons to fuck you over makes it more fun to play. Saying that I haven't played it for about six months either.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I hate this game. Fucking hate it. It's slightly depressing that I can't get on the GOAT train as I see why people think it's a greatest ever but the weapons utterly ruin it for me. You can be the most mad ninja skilled person at it in the universe but if the AI decides it wants Lightning, Lightning, Red Shell, Blue shell on the last lap then there's fuck all you can do to stop it. Red Shells are easily dealt with if you're quick enough but you rarely get the horn when you're in first so you're fucked with the Blue Shell and Lightning has no counter as far as I can tell.

Not a very popular opinion but there we go. I still bought the new track pass thingy anyway which is why I've gone back to it. if I'm honest ultimately I prefer Mario Kart Tour as a Mario Kart game because its structure, the way it changes tracks up and the fact it's not so reliant on weapons to fuck you over makes it more fun to play. Saying that I haven't played it for about six months either.

That’s literally the point though and makes it fun for people playing of all skillsets. 

It would be nowhere near as popular if everyone didn’t feel like they had a shot of winning. 

5 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That’s literally the point though and makes it fun for people playing of all skillsets. 

It would be nowhere near as popular if everyone didn’t feel like they had a shot of winning. 

I think there's a way of making it so you still have that random bullshit and not making it egregiously infuriating. Have some skill based counter to the shit weapons. Or let me turn off the weapons entirely.

7 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Not quite.

I like lightning the least, followed by triple reds. Blue isn't anywhere near the equation. Against the AI especially the weapons become a total non-issue.

Here's a tip for blue - once you realise one is onto you and you have nothing to block it you can check your map and mirrors (in that order) to see where 2nd/3rd place are at. If you're out in front just eat the blue and carry on after picking yourself up. If 2nd/3rd are close enough you want to let them catch up slightly so that they're also struck with the splash damage. This keeps the positioning relatively as-is.

36 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Or let me turn off the weapons entirely.

We tried that for all of two rounds back when RLLMUK used to gather nightly for hours upon hours of races. No weapons was dog shit boring and we put it back to normal ASAP.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I think there's a way of making it so you still have that random bullshit and not making it egregiously infuriating. Have some skill based counter to the shit weapons. Or let me turn off the weapons entirely.

i thought you loved grinding

I go back and forth on Mario Kart. It's fun, but I find it frustrating in equal amounts. I've had a great time playing with friends online, maybe I need to join more random games.

My 18 year old son really annoys me though. He has been battering me on Mario Kart since the Wii version, and I find the split screen on the switch to provide so little view of what's happening, I use that as an excuse to cover my crapness. I always end up rage quitting after one cup, but the new tracks have drawn me back in so maybe I'll get better

23 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It's the tragic consequence of us true gamers wanting others to appreciate this artform. We have to accept this sacrifice of our beloved series, to consciously degrade it so that the others can enjoy. It's for the greater good.

41 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I love the Berlin one. The music!

Great track! But better in MKT.

I normally really like the 8 proper band versions, but this is one track where the original arrangement is so much better - they just can't recreate that EDM texture properly.

Look forward to Vancouver (snyth keyboard jazz) and Bangkok (flutes and percussion)

On 10/12/2022 at 10:24, moosegrinder said:

Are you talking about the SP?

I think I play 90% of the time with my wife, 9% 4 player when we've friends when they come round.

The only time I've played SP is in hospital when I'm on my own.

The new DLC/update lets you turn off the blue shells and lightning - which are our biggest bugbear. When it comes to playing on my own there's lots of other stuff I'd much rather play but for MP,yeh it's amazing :D

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I play it single GP. It doesn't let you do that in that mode, does it? I couldn't find any options to do so.

Nope it doesn't. Which is why as much as I love MP I can't be fussed with SP. It's up there with racing game elastic banding.