Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - DLC Wave 3 Out December 7th.

Sarlaccfood

16 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

It’s also a master stroke not making all the new tracks available at once. This way people can devote quality time to the each new track and cup and compare notes. Although imagine if this came out 2 years ago just as the first lockdown was about to start.

Although it does mean no new Mario Kart until at least 2024 but that's no bad thing I guess as it's hard to know where they'll go after this. 

I'd hazard Nintendo's first foray into proper gaas/live service territory will be Mario Kart 9. Imagine Tour but less gougy gatcha bullshit. Heaven or hell?

Personally I think there's loads to commend in Tour, and a lot that would be better as a full 'paid' live product rather than the gatcha nonsense.

I await the pile on with bated breath.

Yeah so, my vision for Mario Kart 9, loosely inspired by Death Stranding;

Large map. You can drive to the grand prix and play Mario Kart as you know it. You can also get straight to the grand prix through the initial menus, cool, it's fine.

Anyway, this large map you can drive around has various areas of interests and secrets. There is a main narrative at play that creates different scenarios and you have to build resources by delivering items around the map. Think Deliveroo where you are providing to customers from around the Nintendo universe. So one job for example is picking up a barrel of special coconuts and delivering it to DK but to do so involves driving around and on top of a train, without damaging your cargo too much or losing them etc. Those are the more action packed missions but you also have more puzzle like ones where you are analyzing the environment to figure out the safest/quickest routes. Then boss battles, where you have to take a ramp and land onto a pirate ship and knock down all the anchors to sink Bowsers ship before escaping.

The open world is also full of special ramps and things to find (Think Burnout Paradise) in between all these missions. New areas are added over time via DLC.

On 19/03/2022 at 00:14, shynra said:

Hope we get the London loop

400px-MKT_London_Tour.thumb.png.5ca00d8f9286ab372f83c6c315bd46e0.png

(not played it but saw there's a London level) 

I hope there's a congestion charge section of the track where you're deducted 3 coins on entry, and if you don't boost off the starting line a parking attendant comes and gives you a fine for improper parking. 

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

I hope there's a congestion charge section of the track where you're deducted 3 coins on entry, and if you don't boost off the starting line a parking attendant comes and gives you a fine for improper parking. 

Brilliant ideas - I'd also suggest that instead of other traffic there are hundreds of cyclists swarming round your kart at all times, with many of them waving their fists at you, plus there should be a white van kart which will be by far the fastest thing on the road and none of the starting lights or track directions will apply if you use it. 

On 20/03/2022 at 18:32, Capwn said:

Yeah so, my vision for Mario Kart 9, loosely inspired by Death Stranding;

Large map. You can drive to the grand prix and play Mario Kart as you know it. You can also get straight to the grand prix through the initial menus, cool, it's fine.

Anyway, this large map you can drive around has various areas of interests and secrets. There is a main narrative at play that creates different scenarios and you have to build resources by delivering items around the map. Think Deliveroo where you are providing to customers from around the Nintendo universe. So one job for example is picking up a barrel of special coconuts and delivering it to DK but to do so involves driving around and on top of a train, without damaging your cargo too much or losing them etc. Those are the more action packed missions but you also have more puzzle like ones where you are analyzing the environment to figure out the safest/quickest routes. Then boss battles, where you have to take a ramp and land onto a pirate ship and knock down all the anchors to sink Bowsers ship before escaping.

The open world is also full of special ramps and things to find (Think Burnout Paradise) in between all these missions. New areas are added over time via DLC.

I can't actually be arsed reading that.

These are in rotation online now. Managed to play Ninja Hideaway, Toad Circuit, Sky Garden, and a 200cc fuck up on Choco Mountain.

They might not look as good as the originals and lack anti-gravity twists and thrills, but it is brilliant that they are rescuing these tracks from the mobile game, particularly the new ones like Paris Promenade and Ninja Hideaway, and giving them the attention they clearly deserve. I had no idea how good they were.

Played this online for a bit yesterday and got absolutely battered. I think the arrival of the new tracks in the online rotation has brought a lot of lapsed Mario Kart players back and they are all without exception much better than me! Need to spend some time in single-player I think looking for shortcuts.

Just got around to playing through the new tracks. Whyyyyy have they changed the end of Coconut Mall so the cars stand still in the middle of the parking lot instead of moving back and forth across the road? Could make or break a winning race, it was a proper sweaty palms moment just before the end of the lap. Now you just avoid the middle. Boring.

Never played Tour but I'm surprised at the quality of those tracks. The Paris and Ninja ones are excellent. The Tokyo one left no impression on me whatsoever though.

Not bad overall. They do look a bit cheap next to the original batch of tracks but considering I paid the equivalent of about 30p a track I'm not going to complain too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Trailer is out for the tour - looks like it's taking in a mixture of the city and countryside (these tracks have always taken quite a bit of liberty with the geography)

Looks like the train station is there and would hope the rijksmuseum makes it in as well. Distinct lack of bikes though!

• 3 months later...
  • Sarlaccfood changed the title to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - DLC Wave 3 Out December 7th.