Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

47 minutes ago, dood said:

Man, these speedrunners are so awesome to watch.. 

Watched five minutes of one level. Wow. The knowledge of the level and timing of the jumps is astonishing. I realised whilst watching it I can’t even remember the levels name! 

23 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Picture Match can fuck off!

Mopping up the final few moons at this point and I'm certain its going to be the last one before 100%.

Cheat and take a picture on your mobile phone.  It helps a lot, well it did for me.  :)

I've finished the story and while it is a great game I just haven't enjoyed it as much as either Galaxy game, the music is a definite step down for one thing. The parts I most enjoyed were the 2D and Void style levels but just wandering around areas to find moons doesn't really do it for me anymore. I'll continue to play it because I downloaded it and it'll be sat on my Switch forever and the game is perfect to dip in and out of but once the credits rolled I felt no urge to rush back in and revisit old areas.

8 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I've finished the story and while it is a great game I just haven't enjoyed it as much as either Galaxy game, the music is a definite step down for one thing. The parts I most enjoyed were the 2D and Void style levels but just wandering around areas to find moons doesn't really do it for me anymore. I'll continue to play it because I downloaded it and it'll be sat on my Switch forever and the game is perfect to dip in and out of but once the credits rolled I felt no urge to rush back in and revisit old areas.

so you haven't done anything at all since you've seen the credits?  

33 minutes ago, ryodi said:

There is a strong argument to suggest you have yet to see some of the best the game has to offer.

Certainly in terms of challenge/difficulty the good stuff only comes from the unlocked post-game content.

It really is a game that keeps on giving.

As for the music comment I also have to strongly disagree, some genius tracks in Odyssey (especially during the final level).

6 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Who was it who said getting to the end credits is just the training for the game? The real game is the post credits content. It's insane how much game there is in there for your money. 

Yeah, I said the ‘main game’ is basically a tutorial for what comes next. It was 8/10 for me until I started the post-game stuff. It went to 10/10 fairly quickly after that.

I'm sure that's true but nothing in the main game has made me want to rush back into playing it which is something that Galaxy and 3D Land did. I'm sure I'll dip back into it and making a mea cupla post 6 months from now but at the moment I'm happy to stop playing.

I guess what Odyssey highlights for me is I'm much more involved with the exploration / secret hunting aspect of a Mario game rather than platforming 'difficulty' or challenge. 

This is the best Mario for exploring awesome levels. 

I finally did the Jump Rope Genius moon! I was convinced there was some trick to it after trying several times and never getting above 57, but after reading online that it really is all just about the timing I had a few more cracks at it and finally made it.

@JLMthat is exactly how I felt x 100 cos my 5 year old son was pulling moves just like Mario, dancing along, to a beautiful homage to Nintendo history. I dont think I have ever been so happy playing a video game. Really over the moon happy. This is why it's my game of the year... Maybe my game of the forever. I've loved Zelda for its technical prowess and complete ability to absorb me in its world but this game has made me almost... Almost cry with joy. So truly wonderful. I can't think of anything else that's done that apart from Mario 64 and Mario World. 

Nailed it:

DOtDZg-UEAAc5-L.thumb.jpg.616a31a7b867258d9aace526848622bb.jpg

The goodness in this game just keeps unfolding, it's like it comes in waves. Wave 1 is the story mission, guiding you through with a light enough touch that you want to move on to the next world, but not right now because I just saw something cool! Then wave 2 which is early post-game, nostalgia tripping and discovering just how hard some of the moons are prepared to be. 3 for me was back to the start, going to each world in order and discovering all the new surprises and things I'd missed. Now I'm on wave 4, which is racking my brain to think about what I said I'd come back to and hopping between worlds at will.

That wave's gonna be tricky, I think - it's becoming more of a puzzle-exploration game than a straight platformer. And I'm not really tempted to look specific things up, because while I'm hunting high and low, I'm always grabbing coins for clues from Toad and those final costumes and moons. I get the criticism that it's a bit of an artificial way to lengthen the game for 100%-ers, I suppose my stance will depend on whether I have to do a bunch of coin-farming at the end.