IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

First of all Banjo took its main inspiration from Mario 64. There's never been anything in a Rare platformer that's directly influenced Mario.

Except in Mario 64/Sunshine in a new world you are presented with several objectives, and doing them can and does change the world a bit the next time you enter the world. (easy example: koopa the quick, more complex example: the way click clock world works)

Banjo collect-o-thon involves going around a world and finding the stars, without any break in or out of said world to change it. The world itself might still change, but not as drastically as the opportunity can in 64/Sunshine. Sunshine played up 64's mechanic a lot more. The same world could be day one moment, sunset the next time you enter it to do a different objective. Cleaning the hotel, and then look around the hotels surroundings for the next shrine.

So no, there's clearly Banjo influence. Banjo might have not been the first to do it though.

11 minutes ago, Stanley said:

As for it being a retro 90s game or a collectathon, you haven't been watching it properly. There was nothing on this scale back then. 

I mean call it an 80s collectathon if you want to appear really ignorant.

It's still the same formula. A formula I love, mind. I was poking fun at those that have a problem with it being what it is, that is, if it was anything else but Mario in the name. Yooka-Laylee's worlds are about as big (Oddessey's probably are bigger, by the look of things) but scale doesn't make a collect-em-up better, at least from all experiences past mario 64 and banjo-kazooie have proved, reviews-wise. Small but tight worlds can be a delight in of itself.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

If you're referring to Yooka-Laylee, the issue is that it's just not a very good game. I've played a large chunk of it and while I think Sterling's review was hyperbolic, there are all sorts of problems with the game, most damningly with the aimless and directionless level design, that Nintendo will be sure to avoid. 

Yooka certainly has it's problems, but it wasn't 2/10 bad (nor 5, for that matter). But many reviewers bashed it for being exactly what was advertised on the tin, rather then concentrate on what exactly made it average, baffling.

2 hours ago, sir shrew said:

Rabbids is the better looking game, but an RTS combat game doesn't suit Mario at all.

But a golf game, a pinball game, a fighting game and a building demolition game do?

What on earth are you going on about? Saying that this game looks like Banjo Kazooie is like saying that Thelonious Monk sounds like Jamie Cullum. 

Collecting coins in Mario is designed to challenge the player, and the objectives are always fun, it facilitates game play. In Banjo it's collecting for the sake of it. 

This game looks nothing like Yooka Laylee to me. 

@NEG

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What on earth are you going on about? Saying that this game looks like Banjo Kazooie is like saying that Thelonious Monk sounds like Jamie Cullum. 

Who?

Collecting coins in Mario is designed to challenge the player, and the objectives are always fun, it facilitates game play. In Banjo it's collecting for the sake of it. 

You've mixed up coins/feathers with Stars/Jiggies. In any case the objective mcguffin in free roam Mario games and Banjo are the exact same. Collecting for collecting sake complaint can be said of 64/Sunshine too, of any Star/Shine/100 coin/blue coin challenge you find dull. Mario has not been immune to un-fun collectibles in those games.

This game looks nothing like Yooka Laylee to me. 

@NEG

The trailer didn't to me either, it's the gameplay demo that made it apparent it's not quite like 64/Sunshine but another familiar style of 3D collect-em-up platformer. Certainly happy either way, just hope there's enough pure Mario platforming objectives in these banjo worlds as well.

I wasnt sure about the trailer which I think might have been because there was too much new stuff in it for my tiny brain to comprehend but watching the Treehouse playthroughs i'm now hyped as fuck. It looks incredible.

On 2017-6-13 at 19:13, ann coulter said:

Artistically it feels like a Mario game made by a completely different company. I don't know what I think, honestly. The music, the art, the stages ... they feel off. Inconsistent, even. I do like the new mechanics a lot, and how open everything seems. I just wish it felt a bit more Mushroom Kingdom in style, if not in place.

EAD Tokyo are back and they do not give a fuck.  I have never been so nailed on certain a game will be brilliant.

44 minutes ago, b00dles said:

The internet is an amazing place. One 'world' or what have you set in a slightly realistic looking city and everyone goes mental thinking it's not 'fun' any more or trying to be GTA.

Thank fuck the internet wasn't around at the N64 reveal

u wot m8?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.video.misc/mario$2064$201996|sort:date/rec.games.video.misc/982ZGBh8JcI/B9qVFFhgsQ8J

1 minute ago, Corrogate said:

i am fucking dying mate, fucking dying :lol:

It's the backflip on the car at the beginning, slays me. 

And the timing on some of the cuts, genius work.  The final bit where he falls over the bin is amazing. 

On 2017-6-14 at 12:08, NEG said:

I like how people are praising what is essentially (when you watch the gameplay session) Banjo-Mariooie.

Certainly a good thing, but won't be 64/Sunshine style from what we've seen so far either.

I'm sure it'll get bashed for being a retro 90's collect-o-thon, right? right? Oh right, it's Nintendo.

Haha. That cracked me up.