IGNORED

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Nespresso

For me the hat thing was what really sold me on it. It's like discovering a whole new world of imagination and exploration similar to when you explore Mario Galaxy with all these new mechanics. We've already seen so much standard Mario 3D platforming, this is a nice new gameplay twist and usually each time Nintendo does this with Mario it turns out to be super creative and fun. Like they said in the demo - just throw the hat at everything and see what happens. To me, that discovery is as much fun as the platforming in Mario games.

2 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Do love the 3D -> 2D transitions!

They are so awesome, especially when they're doing it around a 3D pillar. Looks amazing. Then you see a 2D bullet bill pop out of the 2D mural and into 3D to chase you around. So cool.

21 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

New Donk City tho - what were they thinking with that name - lollll

They started talking about it on the Treehouse stream (which Nintendo character had to rescue Pauline, had a name starting with Donk and scaled girders and skyscrapers?) then dropped it and said that was for another time. I don't think this team are capable of making a bad game. Even if they are, Nintendo announced two new Metroid games today, so I couldn't really give a toss.

Yeah I saw the reference on the stream. It's still an amazing name though. Also not keen on all the grey skyscrapers and streets but I'm sure most of the game takes place in the usual fantasy places.

Really hope this one is more challenging than recent entries in the 3D series. It looked pretty tough in the demo. Eurogamer just did an article saying the motion controls are pretty tricky, you control the camera and the hat with them all whilst doing platforming. Hopefully they iron that out. Nice that you can spend your extra coins on stuff, looks like they respawn on death which may make things a doddle if they use a lives system.

It's showing the forest level. It definitely feels like there is more emphasis on exploration and discovering and completing mini tasks than completing platforming gauntlets, so I get more Mario 64 vibes from it than Sunshine or Galaxy. 

Edit - and just as I say that it's gone all 2D platformer

Pretty confident this is going to be up there with BotW when it releases. Seeing the footage it seems to be taking the same kind of approach, with the world being a huge playground and you basically being able to do all the things you think you'd be able to do. Can I transform into that using my hat? Holy shit I can! I bet there's going to be some fiendishly difficult Moons to get, then the purple coin challenges, all the hidden stuff. And all portable too! :omg:

It's got the more open world levels if Mario 64, the tight levels of Galaxy and loads of use once idea madness of 3D - it really could be something special!

BOTW was the game that finally knocked M64 from its best game of all time perch and I'm excited that this could made it a short reign :wub:

1 hour ago, Made of Ghosts said:

I honestly love the graphical weirdness. The series has been zeroing in on a very specific aesthetic for ages now. 3D World looks great but how much further can they go with that style? Chuck out the rulebook, give me realistic dinosaurs and polygonal fruit, I'm into it. 

Yup. Totally on board. It's just what was needed I think. Am reminded of seeing the film Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs for the first time. Not literally, but rather in that spirit of eschewing that ultra-perfect awe/wonderment vibe of Pixar/Disney, and instead succeeding in being brilliantly stupid and weird.

Multiple different videos, including the first Treehouse stream where they talked about the game and the mechanics in full.

"I'm not trying to be negative!" You're literally one of the most negative posters on the forum. :D

6 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

I don't know where you guys are getting true successor to Mario 64 from. Are we watching different videos. I'm not trying to be negative, but really?

More free form than Galaxy or 3D world. Sunshine had a shitty mechanic and dodgy camera so let's just forget that ever happened. 

I wouldn't say it's a true successor, looks like it's forging its own path. 

12 hours ago, probotector said:

I hate the look.

The whole thing stinks of Super Mario Sunshine meets Sonic 2006.

I loved the next gen Mario 3 feel of 3D Land and World.

Hate the hat gimmick. Hope I'm wrong but I've got a bad feeling over it.

Plus it looks shit compared to the Galaxy and 3D games :(

333.gif

I'm also going to avoid the media for this now - I'm already convinced it's going to be great and I rather explore it all for myself from now on.

This is a great quote from EG.

October is Mario. Mad, inventive, improbably, spectacular Mario, a grand tour of Planet Earth - well, he's already done outer space - that manages to look crazier with each new part of it that comes into focus. Mario riding a Vespa around yellow taxi cabs is never going to look normal, but the game clearly doesn't care, and so it pulls it off. And if you don't like it, here's Mario in a sombrero, anyway. Here's Mario racing around inside the walls of a spinning tower in a sequence that riffs on A Link Between Worlds and Mario's own peerless 2D heritage.