rllmuk
Nespresso

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

6 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Also, when I first got a switch well over a year ago I only played typos for an hour. It didn't take at all but now I've given it another go I am having quite a bit of fun. On balance I still think I preferred Mario in its 2D versions though. I still think SMW was the peak bit will see when I've played through this. 

I've always found the 3D version to be less immediate in how you pay it. When it is 2D I always feel I can get more "flow" to it whereas in 3D I'm usually having finesse where I am taking my jumps from to get to another ledge etc.  I also get a boot frustrating with the wind up when you start moving too.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy this game at the moment. 

A literal typo.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, iknowgungfu said:

:rolleyes:. There are quite a few to that post! Delerious with tiredness I think. So, 500 moons eh? Is that a difficult task?

I thought it was funny - no offence intended.

500 isnt too bad to get to, the game throws them at you.

• Upvote 1

The more I think about this game the more disappointed I am.

The movement and mechanics were smooth and wonderful but it was just too damn easy.

They should have cut the number of moons by 80% and made them a lot harder to collect. There was nothing satisfying about running through a level picking up 3-4 moons in a matter of minutes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

9 hours ago, skittles said:

The more I think about this game the more disappointed I am.

The movement and mechanics were smooth and wonderful but it was just too damn easy.

They should have cut the number of moons by 80% and made them a lot harder to collect. There was nothing satisfying about running through a level picking up 3-4 moons in a matter of minutes.

I said pretty much this at the time and was negged to within an inch of my life.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5
  • Empathy 2

I've been playing this over the past few days in the run up to Mario Maker 2 and have been really enjoying it, just clearing out worlds. Am up to 740 without using any guides, and I don't buy any.

I can see what people are saying about the moons. Lots of them are just a bit silly, like notice a glittery bit of the floor and ground pound, but there are just so many of them and it's so much to move around the levels that I don't really mind.

There are some really tough bits, though. There's a few moons which I've resigned myself to never collecting.

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

and I don't buy any.

Buying one per level is part of the completionist list.

I've revisited this recently too, am only using a guide for those times where I've practically cleared a level and still can't find that last one or two.

Some of the best moons are the hard to get ones. 

1 minute ago, Danster said:

Buying one per level is part of the completionist list.

I've revisited this recently too, am only using a guide for those times where I've practically cleared a level and still can't find that last one or two.

Some of the best moons are the hard to get ones. 

Yeah, I've bought those already. I'm not buying any packs of 10 to max out my moons, though.

There's a 2D Mario one in Mushroom Kingdom which is hard as hell. 

Man, I gave up on this one ages ago because after I got to the bullet bills I got to this bit and it drove me nuts, but it really wasn’t that hard this time around!

• Upvote 3

Return to the dark side has reminded me of how brutal this game can be, I spent nearly two hours on two levels last night, most of it on this one level, which I finally nailed - man it was a relief when I did.

• Upvote 4

Can’t remember if I’ve got that one. 

Finishing a couple of the levels has been quite sad - knowing I’ve got no reason to go back. 

Also, it just struck me out of the blue yesterday that the Donk in New Donk City is short for Donkey Kong. Don’t know how I missed that and just thought it was a silly word which is a bit like York. :facepalm:

On 17/06/2019 at 11:26, Danster said:

Return to the dark side has reminded me of how brutal this game can be, I spent nearly two hours on two levels last night, most of it on this one level, which I finally nailed - man it was a relief when I did.

Funnily enough just got the game last week and popped in here to see what rllmuk had to say... and this is the very level I'm stuck on now. Have given up on the overland route back and trying to nail the super jumps on the bottom floor as an alternative escape, but the timing is a bastard. Spent about half an hour on it and have given up for now.

It's at these moments you just wish they'd skip the death coin countdown and other unskippable bits and throw you back into the action, those 5 seconds are torture!

Anyway its a great game, I romped through the main story and now am on clean up duty, only 250 moons got so far and the waterfalls the only 100 percent cleared area. Had to check a guide for a hint on the "good shot with a chain chomp" moon in the falls as it was quite misleading. I spent over an hour trying everything I could think of in the main rooms and I'm not alone according to the internet!

There's so many great ideas in this game it really feels like Galaxy, where you're constantly finding new toys, mechanics and memorable bits. Yes some of the moons are filler but it makes up for it with the amount of really imaginative, fun and clever ones. It looks gorgeous too.

I wish they'd ditched the motion controls and the camera can be an arse. One thing I really miss in modern 3D Mario games is the snappiness of the N64 controller. On that, doing moves like the side flip was much easier because the analogue stick had those indents around the frame and the stick would "lock" into the indents. So far my movement in Oddysey feels a bit woolly compared to previous 3D Marios although the bigger moveset is great.

The cap capturing mechanic is amazing and always fun, turning every enemy into a opportunity. The best thing is each enemy feels great to control and is like relearning the game. I love how they based entire sublevels, secrets and bosses around the capturing, rather than it just be a fun gimmick. The laughs and sense of awe you get when you realise you're suddenly a giant T-Rex with a moustache, or any of the other mad creatures, can't be beat.

Also a final nod to the player friendly features, like the move set screen complete with videos of the controller. That you can speak to the parrot or Toad to get hints for those final moons, you can fast travel around the map. You can skip most cutscenes. Load times are very small. It streamlines a lot of stuff from the old Marios so you can just concentrate on finding new moons.

Also this Mario has some banging tunes, I loved building up the band in Metro city and if you leave Mario alone in the theatre he'll just start dancing. It's wee moments like that which put a smile on your face and what makes this game so special. Only 15 million moons to go!

• Upvote 4

I’ve got the main path done and I’m kind of staggered at what there is left to do. I felt like I was a constant Moon-harvesting fiend the whole way through but I’ve barely scratched the surface.

Such a constant delight, full of surprises and neat tricks. I’ve got to get back to Zelda but I can see myself dipping in to this for a very long time.

• Upvote 7

I wish you good luck on the skipping challenge, the volleyball challenge, and the challenge where you have to run a way from a huge bullet bill, hatless.

• Upvote 5

I absolutely cannot do win the harder bound bowl level - nor can I get Darker Side of the Moon.  I get all the way to the bit where you lose your cap... and then die and it's back to the start.  I'm going to snap my switch in half I reckon.

Am i right in thinking it’s impossible to get all 999 moons on this game without a walkthrough or guide. I’m on 810 going for the lot and have been using one and so many I’ve thought how on earth would I have supposed to have known such a such was there.

2 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

Am i right in thinking it’s impossible to get all 999 moons on this game without a walkthrough or guide. I’m on 810 going for the lot and have been using one and so many I’ve thought how on earth would I have supposed to have known such a such was there.

Nah, most are pretty reasonable and the game offers clues to point you in the general direction.