VN1X

Super Mario Odyssey - ALL CAPS

Looks great.

I'm sort of glad it's not out till 'The Holidays' as it'll provide that nostalgic Christmas Nintendo magic and, besides, Zelda and a few of the others should fill the time nicely.

Now, where the hell can I rustle up the cash for this on Launch day... :(

Also, was there any mention of consistent online accounts or an achievement/trophy system being introduced?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Punished Smitty said:

City part made me want to boak.

Not vomit joy?

Surprised at the Sonic Adventure comparisons. For me this looked unexpectedly fresh, less trying to latch on to using a city in a desperate attempt to find inspiration, and more like being let loose to not adhere to the Mario style. Mario Sushine was the last Mario that I found interesting, it had a beautiful, distinct flavour to it unlike any other game. Galaxy was always a colossal disappointment to me with the premise setting up planets and then them not exploring that, they really settled into a tame form of creativity that informed everything since, as in Super Mario 3D World, I find the art style and mainly colour palette horrendous, which is where Sunshine really excelled. Odyssey shows some signs of life I thought Nintendo had strangled out of themselves long ago. Sunshine realised that the worlds didn't satisfy pure platforming (hence the void levels), but they still had a playful sense to them. I find this here too, like when Mario bounces on the taxi's bonnet as it dents like he really is a fat heavy plumber, and swings on the lamp post, and even the hat throwing is neat and elegant. I never realised I'd want to climb a building as Mario until I saw him shifting across the ledge.

If Nintendo had followed Sunshine up with an entirely different themed Mario and explored that with the same individuality then there would be no need to dumb it down to become The Greatest Game Ever, and they'd find that each game would grow in appreciation and each would have its passionate fans. It's against Nintendo's pursuit of growth to create these alternative quirky deviations in the formula, because anything specific might not appeal to everyone, but it's eeked out here. The forest looks so intriguing, genuinely curious to see how will that creature react, what does this plant do, what's inside that building, what's around this corner, what will the next world bring. They're using the environment to lure you in and intrigue you and that's not been part of Mario for a long time, and rarely ever.

I didn't mean to stay up til 4am last night but watched a bit of the conference near the end, and the Mario video gave me a sense of the excitement of a new game reveal I used to get when I was at school. I thought it was just because I was getting older and becoming increasingly dead inside that games no longer do anything for me, but it felt fresh.

• Upvote 8

I love the contrast of Mario's cartoony charm against the reliastic style of the city, though it does feel very Sonic Adventure - it doesnt bother me because EAD Tokyo are gods and they've never made a bad game - and it looks fun as hell to bounce around the city.

It's hard to tell if it's a hub world or not. On one hand it could be because of the level of detail, long introduction, free-roam nature, and big signs showcasing other levels shown - so you might jump-in to these pictures like the paintings in  SM64. On the other hand it looks small when zoomed out, and the Mario ship is there so it could just be another level Mario visits.

The graphics, style variety and fluidness of Marios movements looks SO GOOD. I never played 3D world cause I didnt have a wii u but I can imagine how it plays as I love 3d land - but Mario Galaxy is way more ambitious than those games so it's good to see these detailed large worlds.

Can't wait to see more of this game, just wish i didnt have to buy a Switch for it.

6 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If only Mario looked exactly like this during the city bits, then there wouldn't be any controversy:

BgaF57K.jpg

I've watched so much of his work that watching this makes me slightly aroused. and by slightly I mean fully aroused.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, revlob said:

I actually really like the look of the city level. It's very different to anything we've had before in a 3D Mario game, 

And very similar to what we saw in GTA 3.

11 minutes ago, Oz said:

And very similar to what we saw in GTA 3.

Excpt skipping ropes with citizens to jaunty tunes instead of mowing down hookers while listening to lazlow be a perv

When Mario was first shown in the Switch teaser running through a Mexican village everyone thought it was great. A city though oh noes that's not Mario. 

Looks great to me and can't wait to bounce around the block.

18 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

3a1.jpg

That could either mean 'you found Mario interesting?!', or something about how placing a less rated Mario as the last high point and dismissing the rest as not up to it is funny ?

Quality discussion though.

The aliasing shimmering away reminds me of the ropey videos at the beginning of Mario Sunshine. 

Looks like they've licensed the physics from Dead or Alive for Mario's nose. It bounces around like mad. 

Every time I see this trailer I'm filled with excitement. It's been so long since I've played a proper Mario game (haven't we all eh?). It will be perfect for the HOLIDAYS. 

• Upvote 1

I think it looks great.

When I look back at the older 3D Marios, I found Mario 64 very good (although I never rated it as highly as most others it seems; I enjoyed it but it never came close to my all-time top 10), Sunshine was disappointing as it relied too much on the water nozzle gimmick and was in places rough and unpolished, Galaxy was pure magic and is in my opinion still the best 3D platformer ever, Galaxy 2 was good but felt more like an expansion pack and lacked the impact of the original and 3D World was great but too conventional to my taste and lacked impact due to coming shortly on the heels of 3D Land and feeling like a bigger version of that.

This seems like it's turning some stuff on its head again - the real world setting, the diverse settings, new moves and tools, levels seem larger and more open and free to explore. It looks fresh and trying to do new things which is a good thing IMO. While I'm very underwhelmed by the Switch software line-up so far, this is the one that may well persuade me to get one anyway by the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

This looks magnificent and I'm glad the leaks about it supposedly being finished and ready for launch were bollocks. Like I said they would be, hah! ;) It's launching at exactly the right time of year, IF Nintendo don't bork that up (there's still time kids!) so hopefully they can use the rest of the year polishing. Like others I'm not sold on the human representations, but what the hey, the rest looks lush.

1 hour ago, buizel said:

Excpt skipping ropes with citizens to jaunty tunes instead of mowing down hookers while listening to lazlow be a perv

same difference. lol