'Special Editions' without the game

Harsin

I liked paying the extra tenner for a big fucking tin and an art book or DVD or something, like Halo and Gears of War used to do. I even managed to sell the golden lancer code that came with Gears 2 for twenty quid to some fucking idiot a couple of years afterwards, and not long before Gears 3 came out.

I've given up on them now though, after excitedly buying a mispriced Dead or Alive 5 collector's edition from Amazon, and then watching the price plummet to much less than I paid for it and being stuck with a game that was significantly worse than I remember the Dreamcast one being. Plus I look like a pervert for owning a big fucking tin edition of that bouncing titty game.

2 minutes ago, angel said:

I don't understand any of this, you're having a go at me for buying some special editions? I've got my TLG statue, the MK-X one is brill, I just bought the Halo 5 one for 30 quid and I'd like the Songbird from Infinite. I've also decided the quality lately has gone down so I won't be bothering any more. Why would I lie, why is that so hilarious? I've never understood people mocking other people's purchases.

Calm down, you fanny. I'm not having a go at you at all, simply laughing at how many times you said you were out and then a couple of posts later saying you wanted another one. I found it funny. I'm not mocking your purchase, I give less than zero shits about what you spend your money on. God, so defensive. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Oh, who actually gives a shit? It was a harmless joke, stop being so sensitive. Not everyone is out to get you. 

I've no idea what you're talking about regarding any of this, some of the special editions are good, that's why people buy them. Anyway.

Back on topic, I remember I really wanted the Dead Rising tin about 10 years ago, couldnt find it anywhere. Then a few years later I saw it for about 4 quid in a bargain bin. That made me look at it and think well, I'd have stored it in a drawer most likely, and now here it is in a dump bin. At about that point I mostly swore off steelbooks and special versions. Around the same time I got Portrait of Ruin on the DS imported special edition, and it came with this wax sealed pack of stuff, pretty nice. Still in my game box in my loft, probably worth tuppence. So again, I stopped bothering with the tat editions, and just went for the ones that came with worthwhile stuff. Like the Halo 3 with the documentaries on the 2nd disc, that sort of thing.

Had a long gap with no fancy special editions, really fancied that MK statue, but yeah, no Dishonored 2 masks, Drake statues or any of that for me. Oh and one last thing, I remember the Gears of War chainsaw bayonet, it was like 150 quid or something and of course the teeth didnt move (but it had sound effects I think). I saw that in Gamestation at the time and it was utterly ridiculous, massive too. I just thought anyone buying that must be insane, where would you even put it?

1 minute ago, Mr Cochese said:

It's still just stupid tat, though.

Everything is tat, we're all just shuffling around various molecules for hopefully around 70 years upwards, before we shuffle off this realm. I'm not suggesting any of it matters, but I have the cracking MK-X statue still on display, it looks awesome, I couldn't be happier with it. Sometimes its nice to have nice things.

What are you judging it against though, great works of art? I don't want that,  its the Scorpion version that only came out with X, he's Ed Boons favourite character (hence being on the cover, getting the statue etc). That's what I wanted and that's what I got, and it's cracking. I mean this is it, it's very tall, I think it's a belter.

Scorpion_zps3639f201.png

I agree, lots of them are crap. I just like collectibles, but yeah these days I stick to the proper brands. Just one of lifes pleasures for me, I mean my fave Dragonball character is Beerus, and when his figuarts figure came out i was so excited, then I actually found it in newcastle. Snapped it up, I was buzzing. Just something I enjoy.

On 09/01/2017 at 00:45, petrolgirls said:

I've only special edition I ever bought was Ico, mainly due the to the delightful Chiricoesque postcards. Never seen the appeal in having some ghastly overpriced plastic/pewter crap accompanying my game.

What, you wouldn't want this proudly adorning your mantelpiece?

9Pt0zn0.jpg

11 hours ago, angel said:

Maybe, is it a nice cupboard?

You might ask if it's a nice cupboard, a I might tell you that, yes, it is. You might then ask me if it's full of rare gaming treasures, and I might reply in the affirmative. But if you start nosily asking me if it contains a portal to another world, a world that's trapped in a permanent state of winter, where fantastical creatures roam and Turkish delight is distributed freely, then I will refuse to answer - 'cos that's Narnia business, son. 

• 1 year later...