Retroarch

Mentazm

Stupid noob questions incoming!  I put together my first Retropie machine yesterday but I'm having a few issues with certain ROMs.

First of all, why do I have duplicates of some of the SNES games I've added?  I've added Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (USA).sfc, Super Mario World (USA).sfc, and Donkey Kong Country (USA).sfc, just one version of each, yet they all appear twice in Retropie. Super Mario All-Stars (USA).sfc and Rock N' Roll Racing (E).zip both correctly appear just once though.

I've only had a quick play with one Master System ROM so far, Sonic the Hedgehog, and it seemed to be running way too fast.  Am I imagining things, or is it indeed too fast, and if so, is there a way to slow it down?

I'm using MAME4ALL for arcade ROMs, but cannot get Metal Slug to run.  I have the neogeo.zip in the bios folder on the PI.  What else am I missing?

I have one PSP game on it at the moment, but Retropie doesn't list it at all.  It is on .rar format, is that why?

EDIT: I've just added 1005_WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION) for the GBA which is also listed twice as well as below:

._ 1005 - WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION)
1005 - WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION)

Gah!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2017 at 10:58, Stejay said:

Stupid noob questions incoming!  I put together my first Retropie machine yesterday but I'm having a few issues with certain ROMs.

First of all, why do I have duplicates of some of the SNES games I've added?  I've added Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island (USA).sfc, Super Mario World (USA).sfc, and Donkey Kong Country (USA).sfc, just one version of each, yet they all appear twice in Retropie. Super Mario All-Stars (USA).sfc and Rock N' Roll Racing (E).zip both correctly appear just once though.

I've only had a quick play with one Master System ROM so far, Sonic the Hedgehog, and it seemed to be running way too fast.  Am I imagining things, or is it indeed too fast, and if so, is there a way to slow it down?

I'm using MAME4ALL for arcade ROMs, but cannot get Metal Slug to run.  I have the neogeo.zip in the bios folder on the PI.  What else am I missing?

I have one PSP game on it at the moment, but Retropie doesn't list it at all.  It is on .rar format, is that why?

EDIT: I've just added 1005_WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION) for the GBA which is also listed twice as well as below:

._ 1005 - WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION)
1005 - WARIO WARE INC (U)(PRECISION)

Gah!

The .- version of a file is a mac OS X file that gets written if you copy files via Mac OS X.

the emulator you are using for your mame Roma will need the correct rom version of metal slug for it.  You can use clrmame to check your roms or rebuild them for a particular rom set ( e.g. If you wanted to use fba or mame2003 instead).  The retropie documentation over at GitHub is extremely good. Try changing the emulator for that game to a couple of different types.  Lr-fba is pretty good and I think has a neogeo unibios built in?

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update here; managed to get my emulators sorted in and outside of RetroArch (i.e. Dolphin). I've had Burnout 3, Driver 2, Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker going. Still yet to test Sega Saturn, CD and Dreamcast fully but everything else I've tried has worked perfectly...

...except for PPSSPP (using the in built version not standalone).

It works fine for God of War but doesn't display visuals on Vice City Stories and crashes everytime I boot Metal Gear Acid.

Any suggestions please folks?

I had trouble with the retroarch PPSSPP core too. Finally I decided to try the standalone version, which was a lot further along. Suddenly all my (legally owned) PSP roms worked. Before less, in RetroArch, less than half of that same rom collection worked. So I added standalone PPSSPP to my frontend launcher (EmulationStation in my case), same way I added Dolphin, PCSX2 and some Dreamcast emulator before. Never looked back, it all works perfectly now. 

@Mentazm Im my case, they're ALL in my to-play list! :)

Note that I don't use 'complete' sets in my EmulationStation set-up though, I carefully selected a bunch of interesting games for each platform. Still adds up to 700GB total :)

To the people having issue with the Retroarch core for PPSSPP. @Mr. Gerbik @smithstock

Did you miss this step?

PPSSPP requires the asset files from https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp/tree/master/assets as well as the lang and flash0 folders from https://github.com/libretro/libretro-ppsspp be placed in the system\PPSSPP folder for operation. The lang folder requires updating the submodule to acquire and this can be done with 'git submodule update --init lang'.

Alternatively all of the required asset files can be downloaded or cloned with git from https://github.com/orbea/libretro-ppsspp-assets.

I did all that, and I think I did it right because otherwise none of the PSP games would work  - right? :unsure: Somewhere in the RetroArch settings, core info iirc, you can also check whether RetroArch itself sees all the necessary assets.

One core I never got to work at all was the Dreamcast one, so I might ask you for advice on that one sometime @Blu3Flame :)

On 2/18/2017 at 11:31, Mr. Gerbik said:

I had trouble with the retroarch PPSSPP core too. Finally I decided to try the standalone version, which was a lot further along. Suddenly all my (legally owned) PSP roms worked.

Awesome. Standalone worked fine cheers. What's your thoughts on Emulation Station? Torn between that and Launch Box. Does it do all the scraping and such? Nice front end layouts?

On 2/18/2017 at 14:15, Blu3Flame said:

To the people having issue with the Retroarch core for PPSSPP. @Mr. Gerbik @smithstock

Did you miss this step?

Cheers for the info, I tried this but seems to not make any difference. The ROMs I used worked fine in standalone though.

Only trouble I'm having now is getting Saturn and Sega CD working. Dolphin standalone seems to throw up a few errors on boot too.

EDIT: @StoooTube Got Saturn working - give it a google but essentially, RetroArch/system folder is missing two BIOS files.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got retroarch running on a firestick. Connected to the firestick are 2 controllers, the bundled fire remote, and the SFC 8bitdo pad. I've configured retroarch to use the 8bitdo pad for user1. Both are connected to the firestick when launching retroarch

When I launch retroarch from the fire menu, using the fire remote, or the 8bitdo pad, the menu opens, retroarch detects the 8bitdo pad, and I can navigate the UI using the pad. Great. HOWEVER, when I launch a game,SNES, MD, SMS, it doesn't matter, it wants to default to the fire remote. The 8bitdo pad is no longer usable in-game until I hit HOME on the fire remote, go to amazon home, relaunch retroarch (which is in the rom at this point) and then I can use the 8bitdo pad.

Any ideas about this minor annoyance? it works fine on my shield K1 tab with the same pad, so I'm guessing it's getting confused by the 2 controllers.

That was a timely bump since 1.5 came out yesterday.

I've had a problem with this for ages that I've not been able to figure out despite trying all sorts of approaches so I'll throw it out there in case anyone can help. I've got a USB Saturn pad set up as my Retroarch controller which is great for most stuff, but I'd like to be able to use my Xbox One controller as the default for systems with analog sticks (Playstation, N64 etc.) This sounds pretty simple but the way this program deals with controllers is so horrible that I've found it impossible despite trying various things that seemed like they should work. I'm almost at the point of setting up the One controller as the main one and using Joy2Key alongside it when I want to use the Saturn pad.

Can this work if I keep all of my ROMs on a USB stick?

Has anyone managed to work out how to make something like this work with "cloud" functionality yet? Like loading roms from archive.org or some other online location?

I've tried so many emulator front-ends and all-in-one solutions over the years and they've always involved downloading and sorting out different, massive ROM sets. I lost my big Gamebase installation when my NAS drive died a year or so ago so not too excited about the idea of building up ROM collections for all of the machines again. 

That was why the RetroPi idea really appealed to me - the prebuilt images with all the games and directories already set up and assigned. Is there anything like this for Windows Retroarch?

Edit: Also - is "cores" just what this calls Emulators? So when I download a core for, say, BNes, from directly in retroarch, it's downloading a modified version of BNes which is tailored to run in Retroarch? Or it's downloading the original BNes emulator, and then configuring it to work with BNes?

Edit: Edit - Just had the brainwave of trying to run this on Android rather than my PC. The App seems to have just been updated to v1.5 just like the Win version, so I assume that the port is up to date.

Having installed it though, it doesn't seem to be able to look for files anywhere other than on my phone's storage - does this mean that if I want to use the Android version, I nee to keep all of my ROM sets physically located on my phone? Can't I tell it to load ROMs or thumbs/screenshots from cloud or Google Drive or somewhere? 

All of these front-end/All-in-one emulator solutions just seem so unwieldy! I would love to have access to every Amiga game ever on my phone, but why in this day and age do I need all of the files on my phone too?

Ok - so just because I find it so unbelievable the amount of trouble I have whenever I try to set something like this up - I am going to blog my progress at setting up Retroarch from scratch in this thread. 

I will be setting it up on my main laptop which is an i5 with a 128GB SSD. Because of the limited storage I will be attempting to run Retroarch with all of my ROMs stored on a 32GB SD card.

First problems start before I even get anywhere near Retroarch. The only spare SD card I have, which is clearly marked as 32GB, only formats to 2.4 GB. No explanation from Windows, it just tells me it's a 2.4GB card. Oh well. I don't have any other spare cards so I am going to have to clear some space on my HD and build my ROM collection there for now, and transfer it when I get a new SD card. 

Next problem - My controller is a MOGA 2 - Windows tells me it is connected over Bluetooth but I can't seem to get it to do anything. Where are the settings for gamepads stored in Win 10? I remember the old Control Panel always had an app for setting up and testing gamepads, but damned if I can find it in the stupid Win 10 settings system.

Will skip controller setup for now - it's paired (so it tells me) so maybe it will work in Retroarch. 

Ok, next bit is plain Downloaded and installed Retroarch with no problems. I want to have a nice looking frontend so I guess I need to download some thumbnails ? I've decided I'm going to get NES set up first, then take it from there. So I go to Online Updater, then Thumbnails updater - then choose "NES". I assume that this is going to download a set of thumbnails for NES games for me? But ... well it doesn't seem to have done much. I wait for the download to finish, accidentally hit "enter" again and it starts the download process again. But I can't find these files anywhere? I go back to Windows and look through the Retroarch file structure, it has about 20 different folders for things like "downloads" and "thumbs", either of which presumably should hold the thumbs files I have just downloaded - but no, they are nowhere to be found - can anyone let me know what's happened to them?

Next I know I need a Core which is what Retroarch calls emulators so I download a NES one. This seems to work fine, and as I want to test it before I go hunting for full ROM sets to download (again), I use the content updater to download one of three available NES roms, which works. I run the emulator and it starts the NES game - with no controller support though. 

Ok, so that's where I'm up to - if anyone can chime in with help for any of the many questions I've asked it would be much appreciated!

Edit - More progress - well, I say progress - tried to do a couple of other things, all of which have just failed to work in the way that I assume they are meant to -

Downloaded a collection of NES ROMs (GoodNes set), unzipped it to my folder, then in Retroarch gone to "Add Content", "Collections", tried scanning the folder. It tells me "Scan completed". But, absolutely nothing has happened - when I try and navigate back to the folder I find nothing there. No games in my "Collection".

Sorry to hijack this thread by the way, I just find it absolutely unbelievable that every single one of these multi-emu frontend solutions I've tried over the years - every single one of them! Has been a complete pain in the arse to set up, to the point that I've given up and never really got any of them to work. Every single one!

GoodNES is a poor quality set. You want the No Intro set which is what Retroarch is searching for and has built in support for.

As for your SD card I'm guessing you didn't format with an SD formatter, which is why you're having the space issue.

17 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

GoodNES is a poor quality set. You want the No Intro set which is what Retroarch is searching for and has built in support for.

As for your SD card I'm guessing you didn't format with an SD formatter, which is why you're having the space issue.

Ah, ok - thanks!

See that's the sort of thing it would be useful if it said somewhere in some of these videos or tutorials - I know there is an issue of trying to avoid promoting copyright infringement but it really does make things very difficult!

And I formeted my SD card with Win 10 inbuilt SD format command - guess that was my mistake there?

18 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

Ok-so now I have an SD card, formatted to 32MB - and the No Intro NES set unzipped into a folder called Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System,in the root directory.

I go into Retroarch again and select Load Content > Collections > Scan Directory

It immediately tells me that the scan has completed, but nothing else happens - nothing appears under my "collections"... just the same as when I tried with the Goodnes set...

Don't tell me ... I have the wrong No Intro set? (Dunno if there are different versions or whatever but mine is 277MB, downloaded from emuparadise - simply titled "Nintendo Entertainment System (no intro)".

Is there a list anywhere of precisely which full sets Retroarch is designed to work for?

5 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Is there a list anywhere of precisely which full sets Retroarch is designed to work for?

On their website.

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database

Personally I've always grabbed the latest version of the No-Intro sets from Archive.org and have had no trouble with them scanning and appearing in the collections.

21 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

On their website.

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-database

Personally I've always grabbed the latest version of the No-Intro sets from Archive.org and have had no trouble with them scanning and appearing in the collections.

I can load individual games now, by browsing to the files on my SD card with Load Content - but Collections doesn't seem to work at all. 

I'm supposed to unzip it right? As in, unzip the No Intro archive but leave all the individual ROMs zipped?

Just tried it with the files located in c:\roms too, to see if that made a difference but nope. 

For absolute fuck sake - why is the whole fucking thing so ridiculously user-unfriendly and unfathomable? 

It's not like I am computer illiterate - I have been using computers for 35 years and I can strip them down to their bare bones and put them back together again. 

So I go to archive.org looking for No-Intro sets - I have to make an account, fine ...

then search for NES No Intro. 

Here's the results - https://archive.org/search.php?query=nes no intro

Try this one - which is called "latest No Intro" https://archive.org/details/NES-Nointro

DOwnload it, ,a bit concerned that its only 14mb and all the other sets i've seen are 200mb plus ,and yes, sure enough it's just games starting with 0-A. 

Nothing in the item description to let me know this at all...

So not only does this (the "collections" feature), from what I can gather, only work with a specific collection of ROMs, it only works with a specific version of that collection ...

Blu3flame - sorry to have to be spoonfed everything, but could you please send me a direct link to the exact No-intro NES romset that you've used, and know works with the current version of Retroarch?

This is literally making me furious that after all these years of development, emulation is so user unfriendly, non-intuitive and badly documented.  

Thanks for some great help via PM, Blu3Flame. In case anyone else is experiencing the same problem as me, simply installing RetroArch in c:\retroarch, rather than in a folder buried on my desktop, solved the problem with scan not working. For god knows whatever reason. 

Next question - Has anyone got ZX Spectrum games to work in Retroarch? 

I've downloaded the only Spectrum core which seems to be available - Fuze. 

But when I try to "Load Content" in the same way as I do with the NES emulators - the emulation starts then the spectrum resets and I'm looking at the Basic prompt.

I'm using files I found in a +3 No Intro collection, they are all zipped-up IPF files.

Anyone know a good set of Spectrum files which will work with Retroarch?

So, another day, another set of mismatched questions about this ...

Amiga ... anyone used this to play Amiga games successfully?

How does it work? Does it use ADFs or can it work with installed HD images? 

To be honest haven't even tried yet but I imagine using this for Amiga stuff is going to be a total nightmare to set up. But that's ok, because I'm expecting it, so its not going to be nearly as frustrating as it is with the stuff which should be really

Also still interested to hear if anyone has had luck with Speccy stuff  - tried .SNA, .Z80, .TZX and a few others, and they all just make the Speccy reset when I load them through the Load Content option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A (hopefully) quick question.

I have about thirty early-80s arcade ROMs of my old childhood favourites.
RetroArch is picking up most of them, but a few it ain't.

I am using the "Arcade (MAME)" core, which it says is v0.188.

To test this, I also downloaded the actual latest MAME exe, also v0.188.

I've run "mame.exe -verifyroms" and "mame.exe -listcrc" for the games in question.

It reports the ROMs are fine, and the checksums match what's in the zip file.

MAME itself can run the games no problem.

Any advice?

• 4 years later...

So Retroarch is now on Steam.

Great for a) the upcoming Steam Deck of course, great that (I presume) b) save states can be in the cloud, and potentially great that c) the app will stay updated.

re c), would saves be lost on updates being made to the app?

and is it true that save states will be sent to Steam cloud.

I figured I could google these things but retroarch probs needs more chat here anyway.

So I played around with this and used one of my old demo discs to test it out.

Questions.

How is this even allowed on Steam? I mean I'm glad it's there but surely Sony is going to have it removed.

Why doesn't Sony allow me to do this with the old discs I own on their consoles? It just beggars belief that Microsoft is doing this so much better than Sony,