3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

For the cabaret club stuff there's not really any need to, is there? It's all self-explanatory and just a matter of paying attention and quick reactions

Raising the level of Platinum hostesses in conversations.

Exactly! I try and spend as little time as possible in those sections so picking the right answers saves messing up and having to re-do anything.

Same with visiting hostess bars in previous games.

In a series where it's very easy to play each game for 150+ hours, I try to minimise repetition and guesswork.

I couldn't resist any longer. I bought this. I have enough time before Persona 5 hits. I do. I will not be hypnotized by side activities like all you weaklings.

What an amazing story setup. Off we go.

"Hey! Leave that woman alone!"

"Hm. I will try all the burgers you have."

"I wonder how many food joints I can visit in 5 minutes."

"I guess I can take a two minute break for some karaoke."

"Yoronotaki Kamurocho looks nice. Some sour grapefruit please".

"Is that Outrun?!"

"Entertain myself 10 times. Pfft! That's such an easy achievement SEGA."

"DRUNKARDS! YOU WILL BE FISTED BY THE (future) DRAGON OF DOJIMA"

"HOOLIGANS YOU WILL ALSO BE FISTED"

"STREET PUNKS. ALSO. FISTED"

"FIST..."

:hmm:

Yeah, good luck with not doing any side stuff :lol:

Game is so good. Even now I keep wanting to go back and fight Kuze all over again, as well as the property king's.

And if you skip the side stuff you miss out on stuff like this:

I have been playing this with almost no breaks. It is way too difficult to tear yourself away, innit? The world, the characters, the diversity... It is just way too incredible. I love the writing too. It has, of course, that certain Japanese anime style, from time to time, where people just explain things over to themselves again and again, but the attention to detail and the quality of the translation is top notch.

Writing can be sharp and the banter between characters has rhythm and gives them presence and history. Without a doubt the performances are some of the best we have ever seen in a videogame during cutscenes. Delivered with passion and proper Japanese exaggeration, you believe that these people inhabit an amazing and exotic world and that they follow its rules to the letter. Writing, scene direction and performances are very important in a complex story like this and Yakuza 0 delivers in spades. The touch of melodrama is a series hallmark and even though it can get a bit tiring, I don't think this specific game would be the same without it.

What impressed me more about the writing and how it fits in the realization of this world is the little incidental dialogues with random and unimportant NPCs. I know previous Yakuza games followed the same pattern, more or less, but here everything feels richer and more pronounced.

I was surprised, for example, when Kiryu has to buy some alcohol for some homeless men and one of them goes on and on about how amazing the alcohol is, how great its quality, etc. And then when he tells Kiryu that all he wants is a beer, Kiryu comments that, after his epic speech, he would have expect something higher in quality than a beer. And this is exactly what I was thinking but I never expected the writers to go to such lengths and write a comment like that for when Kiryu is addressing a random NPC. This level of detail is almost everywhere in all the little NPCs and it is a breath of fresh air for me after the excruciatingly tiring Torment (which I don't think I can push through its gigantic verbosity).

Sidequests have been fun, proper mental also :P, and after spending so much time with Kiryu, when Majima was introduced it really felt like another game completely. Simply glorious. I daresay it is the best Yakuza I have ever played, unless everything goes to shit from here on.

I had a weird bug on this last night.  It was the bit where you're...

Spoiler

...protecting Makimura, Assassins Creeding through crowds...

...and I got to the last fight, but the camera stuck where a cutscene just happened, so I was fighting off screen.  I still somehow won, by using audio cues and the minimap for lining myself up against opponents!  Then I realised, this is the first bug I've had in this game.  I've played loads of Horizon and FFXV and Dishonoured recently, which are laden with fuck ups and crashes.  This is just really solid piece of game too, as well as being AWESOME.

Can't wait to get stuck into the real estate stuff tonight.  \o/

tumblr_omh46iIT8v1v0fkzqo1_540.jpg.4f33e4f800e8a48b30144e0e750cee87.jpg

1 hour ago, Harmunt said:

Only just completed chapter 4 at the moment but it is, without a shadow of doubt, my current GOTY. At this point I don't even think that the mighty Breath Of The Wild will de-throne it...

Don't make me choose...

Up to Chapter 14 now and it's definitely still the best Yakuza game ever. The story, the serious drama, the absurd humour, the twists and turns, the combat, the side stuff... every single thing has been perfected and polished to the nth degree. Amazing stuff, the entire team behind this game should be damn proud of their achievement. Keeping a videogame series interesting for this long is already damn impressive, but Yakuza even keeps getting better and better.

I dare not imagine how awesome Yakuza 6 is going to be :o

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

Question: if I've never played a Yakuza game before, can I play this? Just wondering how connected the series is and if I can jump in with no prior knowledge.

It's a prequel and the perfect starting point if you've never played one before 

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Up to Chapter 14 now and it's definitely still the best Yakuza game ever. The story, the serious drama, the absurd humour, the twists and turns, the combat, the side stuff... every single thing has been perfected and polished to the nth degree. Amazing stuff, the entire team behind this game should be damn proud of their achievement. Keeping a videogame series interesting for this long is already damn impressive, but Yakuza even keeps getting better and better.

I dare not imagine how awesome Yakuza 6 is going to be :o

I agree wholeheartedly. Even if I am still way too early in the game (just finished chapter 4), the way they tie everything into a coherent whole is amazing. What elevates this than other open or semi open world games is how everything is tied into the narrative or character progression. For example, managing real estate is not just a mini game, it has a proper quest behind it, a side quest, that is tied to the whole city of Kamurocho and the main narrative. Compare this to classic RPG templates where resource management and side questing is just an afterthought loosely tied to the main narrative or the main character's godly importance (even Andromeda will use this awfully boring way to justify exploration from what I have seen - "hey, you need to fight for a new home for humanity - wow - go search all the planets for everything"), and Yakuza 0 feels way ahead of the curve. There is, dare I say, a Witcher 3 quality to it, where all the little details are thought out and implemented to suit the character and the narrative and not to prolong gametime for the player.

I know what you are thinking, but unlocking Japanese teens blowing into balloons in their underwear is an essential part of the story.

edit: the engine though sucks. I haven't seen this much tearing since... I can't remember.:P

Boost Mode on PS4 Pro completely eliminated performance problems for me. Obviously that may not be a solution for you.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a prequel and the perfect starting point if you've never played one before 

You won't appreciate the some of the substories though!

20 minutes ago, Larsen B said:

You won't appreciate the some of the substories though!

You might miss a few references but the sub-stories are enjoyable and hilarious nonetheless. Yakuza 0 is the perfect starting point right now and the best game in the series

43 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Think I'll get this when it's cheaper. Perhaps if Mass Effect wasn't just around the corner I'd give it a go now. But I'm really put off by what I've read of the creepy sexual side of this game. 

This is one of the perviest games I've ever played. No nudity, no sex scenes... but some of the most bizarre sex comedy I've ever seen in a game. It's got such a silly "WTF" factor that you can't really get offended or disturbed by it.

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Wow. Now that you mention it. :lol:

But seriously. I'm talking about Yakuza, and many Japanese games in general - with all the ridiculous outfits and crotch shots. 

I imagine this to be a dev's face when showing his colleague "Perfect Crotch shot #5"

a1e2a359bd72a56a1382e467f19387d4.jpg

Well, this is a game that is essentially a Japanese documentary and also about Yakuza. Any kind of normal, as we westerners know it, is expected to be thrown out of the window. It makes sense for this game to be sexist, violent and have men crying "abuse me" while kneeling in front of teen mistresses.

But I can't say the same about other JRPGs, like Tales of Berseria, for example, where the outfit of the main character is pure trash and makes no sense in the context of the game.

6 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Think I'll get this when it's cheaper. Perhaps if Mass Effect wasn't just around the corner I'd give it a go now. But I'm really put off by what I've read of the creepy sexual side of this game. 

If I wasn't currently posting while in work, you'd be getting another essence of salting!

9 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I think the game does a pretty good job of steering just clear of creepy, honestly. It tends to couch anything sexual in humour — typically at the expense of a male character — and even the most graphic content is pretty tame by modern standards.

The game wouldn't really be any worse for ditching some of that stuff, but I generally find it a lot less offensive than the faux indignation around Quiet's backstory for MGSV, or the tonally inconsistent strip clubs of GTA. The idea of hostess clubs is off-putting to me, for example, but Zero goes out of its way to frame the one you can run in as wholesome a light as possible; it's a pretty decent management game-within-a-game, not a half-hearted excuse to perv on 3D models. Despite appearances I'd say it's a lot less concerned with titillation than most games coming out of Japan.

The series definitely has representation issues* which I've no desire to defend, but it's never struck me as mean-spirited or overly lascivious. In terms of being harmful — or simply embarrassing — to play I'd say it's a minor offender at worst. Room for improvement? Absolutely. But ignoring Zero for a perceived "creepy sexual side" would do both the game and yourself a disservice.

*Perhaps making it a more apt reflection of Japan? It seems that way to me, but I've only experienced the country from some of the media it puts out.