Yoshimax

Forza Motorsport 7

On 14/01/2019 at 21:13, Boozy The Clown said:

Out tomorrow, free for car pass owners.

Love it.

Are those the real in-game engine sounds?

Cheers for the updates Boozy. Just loading this up for a play, been a while since I was last on it and not since before I upgraded to the X for FH4 so hopefully it's going to look a bit nicer than I remember. I'm probably going to be rusty as fuck though!

Had 6 million credits and a load of new cars waiting for me to download so that was nice :)

I wish they would take a leaf out of Polyphonys book and add some more tracks. I suspect we won't see another Forza this year so giving this game a new lease of life with some tracks would be nice. 

I've no idea how Polyphony is remotely profitable at this point. Sales of a now £15 game can't be funded that kind of content.

5 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've no idea how Polyphony is remotely profitable at this point. Sales of a now £15 game can't be funded that kind of content.

It's a loss-leader to shift playstation hardware, with the losses offset somewhat by the demos they make for automakers.

Nice to see the FM7 thread getting some action after many months of inactivity, I'll just click to see which of the new features are being discussed. Maybe it's my favourite, the return of rivals mode and the replay mode showing the fastest laps. Could it be the new crash physics which make collisions and rubbing more realistic ? The new FFB for wheels, the new menus, or experimental drag feature ? It's probably the latest crazy car pack with it's unique one off custom cars but then it could also be the race shop, forzathons or one of the monthly free cars. Maybe it's the return of the rumour that Turn 10 are working on PGR5 or that the next Forza game could be an amalgamation of the 2 series. This is so exciting to see my favourite game finally being discussed again on the forum which I have invested over a decade on,of which the Forza series was a mainstay of the great online times I've had over the years and the many friendships made.

<Clicks thread>

oBnCHGq.gif

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 2

On 17/01/2019 at 14:24, Boozy The Clown said:

Why wouldn't they be ?

I've never heard a V8 sound anything like as realistic as that in a game. Maybe I should get this game and whatever XBox it needs now :)

Edit: Just watched a couple of bits of these Forza monthly videos. Seems the sound is the same as it ever was :(

They just sound really weak and disappointing and nothing like real engine sounds, as has always been the case for sampled engine sounds in games. I'm not sure why it is, there must be something about engine noises that makes them really difficult to recreate. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to it than others, for me sound is a big part of the appeal of cars.

The last V8 I stood next to (Mustang GT) kinda rattled my ribcage, you're right in that it could be difficult to reproduce. Even with a woofer turned up, that kind of rumble you mentally associate with a big engine will be missing.

I found this comparison, all of the games feel like you can sort of recognise the sound from the real life version, but the bit that makes you shit your pants with excitement is just missing.

Forza is by far the best effort though. I can't believe Gran Turismo still add that reverb, it sounds like it's being recorded in a cave rather than a racetrack. I remember that from the original Gran Turismo on PS1.

Is there a general sim racing thread? I'm sure there used to be. I've watched too many Jimmy Broadbent videos and want to talk about seats/wheels and iRacing/Assetto Corsa, VR etc. :)

• Upvote 2

Have to say I am with @Boozy The Clown on this one - invested a decade and had so much enjoyment from the series. I played FM5 for over three years. Still barely scratching the surface of 7 due to work commitments. It's been THE showcase OLED demo in my house. HDR adds to much it's often hard to describe it.

Just started playing with a wheel and enjoying it.

• Upvote 2

I haven't played this in a long long time. I had no idea about all these changes and improvements until I caught up with the thread.

Think I might well switch it back on this evening to see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for drawing it all to my attention @Boozy The Clown

Does anyone still play this? 

Going to be dusting my virtual copy off and having a go at it. Not really scratched the surface on this. 

Is there any interest in a weekly racing session? I like the idea and TBH bit jealous of the GT Sport sessions. I think we could get on and do a Forza night.

I know they are difficult to arrange but guess if we have a night and just turn up. Not really that knowlegable on the setup side of all this for mulitplayer so if someone would be kind enough to take the lead if interest is great enough that would be awesome?

I was thinking to keep it fun why not have different class of vehicle every week? F1, Trucks, Off Roaders etc etc. Also keep is semi-fun not too hardcore... guessing people don't want everything too serious with rules etc?

Anyhow just an idea.. hardly play anything online these days but love cars and racers. If we get a good crowd together here i'd love to have a go at some online racing too.... 

I wish Toyota would have their cars in this. The new Supra is in GT, which is kind of annoying not seeing it in Forza. 

37 minutes ago, Sumire said:

I wish Toyota would have their cars in this. The new Supra is in GT, which is kind of annoying not seeing it in Forza. 

There are quite a few cars missing I'd like in this... also some of the older tracks in particular from FM3. Guess it is what it is though..... Guessing 8 will be out in October anyway going by the previous cycles.

Wish they would actually just build on 7 and just add more tracks. Call it just Forza Motorsport and drop the numeric suffix totally. Kind of like Gran Turismo has... 

As a side note decided to get all the Alfa Romeos in this to honour my fav marque! :D 

Then just get all the Italian cars... It will get me back into it a bit...

Okay first things first, Forza 8 is at least a next gen launch title. I.e. it will not be appearing this year.

My current FM7 mission. I've removed the homologation upgrades from every car in the game. So every car I own is now pure clean stock.

That's the back end work done. It took about 5 hours all in to do with 750+ cars.

Next I'm diving deep into rivals mode.Starting with E class I'm playing each track with a random car until I set a clean lap I'm happy with. In car no Hud bar lap times.I've distilled the game down to it's purest form. Removed all annoyances and am chuffing loving it all over again.

• Upvote 1

I hope the next game has AI cars that race each other in single player.  I like this game, but the other cars seem to be driving to see if I can beat them, rather than racing against each other.  When I'm not around them, they just drive around in a procession.

Well managed to get most.of the Alfas. Just need to start earning some credits now to get the last few. Also I think the 8C is part of a car pack so I'll probably need to buy that at some point.

Noticed that one of the Alfas (GT6) has an odd engine size and power rating on Forza Vista. It's a stock car but the BHP and top end speed seems to be way off. Wondering if it's tuned somehow or just incorrect.... Hmm.... 

EDIT It seems it wasn't stock after all sorted now!