Forza Motorsport 7 - join the weekly time trial!

Yoshimax

25 minutes ago, milko said:

i feel like the on-screen wheel turns a lot more than my actual one, maybe there’s some settings to adjust? And then yeah, to brake while steering in this thing seems to invite a spin very quickly unless you switch on the stability control assist. 

Probably. I drive from the bonnet cam view as I find all the instrumentation a distraction and blocks your view of the circuit - cockpit view works better in VR from my experience where you can have a quick look around but no VR in this game unfortunately. Hopefully next PC iteration will support it - like Flight Sim.

I'd try switching to a non-cockpit view and see how you get on... Might be worth a try. Not sure if there are any adjustments for the wheel I haven't had a proper look around yet - think there is an "advanced options" in the controller menu somewhere so there maybe something that can be tweaked in there perhaps. Once you get used to things though after a few laps the spins go down and you get to feel the road through the wheel a bit more. 

24 minutes ago, milko said:

i feel like the on-screen wheel turns a lot more than my actual one, maybe there’s some settings to adjust? And then yeah, to brake while steering in this thing seems to invite a spin very quickly unless you switch on the stability control assist. 

When I'm playing FM7 with a wheel, I switch the view to the dashboard cam (instead of the 'driver eyes' view). It has no wheel in sight, and you can see the track better whilst still 'sitting' in the car. I don't think the PC version of FM7 has an adjustable field of view* setting found in most PC racing sims, so you'll have to do with what you get unfortunately.

(A correct FoV is one of the most important things in sim racing, as it calculates the viewing angle of the human eye. This gives you the same sense of speed and depth perception that you have when driving a real car. Along with a minimum of 60fps, a correct FoV is pretty much essential for sim racing and it's a shame that most console sim racing titles don't have this option.)

multiClunk - 1:03.597

Took me more than 20 laps just now chasing Skondos ghost to get below 1.04 but think I might be able to knock a further few 10ths off now that I'm getting the rhythm of the track a bit better.

Edit - looking at the leaderboard it's showing that I had ABS and TCS on, which I did for the first 10 laps but switched them back off after that. Mustn't have done it properly.

LowCostMonkey - 01:02:893

Had to ditch the steering wheel and go back to the controller. I've got normal steering and auto gears on but all other assists off. I was using manual gears for a while but for some reason I couldn't get the first corner right using manual gears, I kept downshifting at the wrong time and pitching the car. Will try it again with simulation steering but keeping autogears.

1041743060_time(2).jpg.f96332caba6569a016cd834ac518768b.jpg

Yes me too. Stock is best for this.

Didn't forzamotorsport.net used to have the leaderboards on their website? I seem to remember you could watch leaderboards and replays on the site away from your xbox during the Forza 3 and 4 era. Or did I dream it?

I am quite bad at Forza.

Specifically I seem to be having the same issue on a variety of cars and circuits. I'll get a bit loose, give it a dab of oppo to correct, and before I know it the car has whipped violently round in the counter-direction and I'm backwards in the wall. 

It doesn't happen when I play other racing games/sims but all the time in Forza, so there's clearly something about my driving style that doesn't play nicely with the physics model. 

I'll stick with it and hopefully it's something I'll get used to/learn to avoid. 

6 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm thinking of allowing upgrades to D500 and tuning from midnight on Wednesday to keep it interesting.

Thoughts ?

Tuning is a different set of skills. One of the joys of your initial ruleset is the barrier to entry is “can I turn the console on and load the game”, and the differences between players isn’t “are the dampers correctly adjusted” but “can I move the throttle smoothly enough”.

hence so many of us have had a go :)

6 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

I am quite bad at Forza.

Specifically I seem to be having the same issue on a variety of cars and circuits. I'll get a bit loose, give it a dab of oppo to correct, and before I know it the car has whipped violently round in the counter-direction and I'm backwards in the wall. 

It doesn't happen when I play other racing games/sims but all the time in Forza, so there's clearly something about my driving style that doesn't play nicely with the physics model. 

I'll stick with it and hopefully it's something I'll get used to/learn to avoid. 

Have you got all assists off and simulation steering? Have the same problems when playing with the wheel. Find that I have to be extremely careful braking and steering has to be very light. It's very twitchy indeed. Think there are some advanced settings somewhere for the controllers that might be worth looking at.

Turned traction control off and stability control off.  That was another learning curve. Right up boozies arse but just can’t get him

on the last set of corners. 

This I’m sure is the best I will be on this track. 

33 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yep its the simulation steering that makes it  more twitchy IMHO. Just glad real life cars don't handle like this!!!

It is horribly twitchy indeed. Shockingly so as a matter of fact and I refuse to believe the real car handles like this. I'll try the normal steering tomorrow. Just came off ACC which was actually relaxing compared to my earlier stint on FM7. 

19 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

How do I just see my xbox friends times? When I go to the leader board it's the whole world. 

Press X a couple of times once you're in the leaderboard. Check the buttons at the bottom of the screen. 

6 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, unless you have steering on normal, it does feel like you're driving a 90s MR2 on bald tyres on ice.

Yeah,  and here was I thinking simulation was for wheels and normal for pads. Now I suspect the former is for drifting. 

Changed steering to normal and it makes sense now. Thanks all!

I’m still slow but, like, respectably slow now. Not nonsensically slow.

A7401287-67EB-49E4-BA0E-787A186FE837.thumb.jpeg.a6083c97b57fa9ef8a96f753e9c584f1.jpeg

Did about a dozen laps. I was into the 1:06s a few times but ran outside the lines and invalidated them. (It’d be nice if it had a system like ACC does, where it doesn’t penalise you for an excursion if it calculates you didn’t save any time from it.)