IGNORED

Forza Motorsport 7 - join the weekly time trial!

Yoshimax

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Don't suppose you have a video of the lap that you could share? Just curious to see what a lap ~5s faster than I can do looks like.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

You can search for Meatball in the 'my friends' leaderboards (provided that you are friends) and then click on his name to watch the replay of his fastest lap. At least, that's how it always worked in previous Forza Motorsport titles.

Yep, what Mr Meers said. You can view and also race against ghosts off the leaderboards there. But here's one from just now...

Meatball - 1:01.584

44 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Great having the replays to watch... :) Although essentially the trick is to control the car with the throttle, don't use brakes and if your tyres are screechin' your are losing time! :D 

Yeah, this. Also notice how smooth Meatball's lines are. To do that, you need to think 2 or 3 corners ahead at all times. Track knowledge, smoothness and throttle control is key.

Stuck at 01:03.634 

I did have all assists switched off but I ended up giving in and switching to normal steering. I’ve got Meatball’s ghost loaded and while I’m pretty close the first half of the lap, he just smashes my face in for the second half. I can’t get that last corner right at all.

24 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Stuck at 01:03.634 

I did have all assists switched off but I ended up giving in and switching to normal steering. I’ve got Meatball’s ghost loaded and while I’m pretty close the first half of the lap, he just smashes my face in for the second half. I can’t get that last corner right at all.

That last corner is really tricky. Hard to carry the speed through it but you have to get the speed down so braking at the right time is key.

spatular - 1:02.767

that was with the wheel and some more assists turned off, think i still have abs on. Thought it was going terribly but turns out it was Meatballs ghost i was following! Guess im losing around a second on the last corner.

Well now we have a top 10 I think I want to be in the top 10, so going to put in some laps tonight with the braking line on. Hoping it helps me develop some muscle memory, and deal with the throttle feathering through the S curves.

12 minutes ago, spatular said:spatular - 1:02.767

that was with the wheel and some more assists turned off, think i still have abs on. Thought it was going terribly but turns out it was Meatballs ghost i was following! Guess im losing around a second on the last corner.

Oh I need to friend you: following M Speech is just slightly too dispiriting (I can’t see my ancient muscles being steady enough to knock 1.2 seconds off my time) but if you’re half a second ahead it’s probably a little more plausible. 

Curse it!  I said to myself this would be it for this week (I need to practice for the ACC race), but I can't stop thinking about my lap and when I watch it over I can see where I'd gain loads of time.  When is the cut off point again?

Still, I'm happy to be sitting in third despite only downloading the game this weekend.

10 minutes ago, spatular said:

spatular - 1:02.767

Which wheel are you using? Having issues here as I just have to tap the brake pedal breifly and it spins out. I know...don't tap the brake :) Have all the assists off though and steering set to simulation and manual gears. Bit of a handful. All just seems really sensitive. Think I just need to spend some time learning the wheel with this and getting around the circuit first and then work on getting my time down.

Also cheers to Boozy for organising this! Guess at some point might be worth organising a race or two perhaps see how the TT go and then maybe once a month some racing. Although this is usually a nightmare to get everyone together.....

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

ArN3cmv.png

KYl7yGp.png

Absolutely blown away.....

Thank every one of you for giving it a go.

There being a second image with more than 12 laptimes on it has made me feel a smidge better.

Had no doubts I'd be down near the bottom, but I'm definitely up for another round. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

Oh I need to friend you: 

nice one, i just added you and anyone else who posted their gamertag :)

59 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Which wheel are you using? Having issues here as I just have to tap the brake pedal breifly and it spins out. I know...don't tap the brake :) Have all the assists off though and steering set to simulation and manual gears. Bit of a handful. All just seems really sensitive. 

it's a T300, pedals are really old G25 ones, which maybe going faulty as the brake light occasionally flickers (i checked the deadzone and it's 5%), but i've got ABS on so haven't had braking problems. i guess there's some way of turning down brake sensitivity in the settings somewhere?

44 minutes ago, milko said:

I cannot get the hang of this at ALL, hahaha. Completely disastrous. I might try my luck on the pad and see if that helps, or maybe I need to turn some assists on.

I'd stick with the wheel. Despite my disastrous attempts at laps at the moment actually quite enjoying the learning experience of using a wheel with this. Flicked between the pad and wheel. Pad was giving me better times but I was using auto gearbox with all the assists off. 

Now gone full manual with all the assists off but the braking line. However think I'm going to take that off too as its distracting me! :D 

Think the key with the wheel is to take it nice and smooth and don't oversteer. It's easy to put your foot down too much on the first half of the circuit and it will just spin. Had trouble with the first corner initially with spin outs - I'm just using the gears to get my speed down for the first turn and a very slight dab of the brake. The rest of the circuit doesn't really need the brake at all... OK possibly the entry into the final corner depending on how much speed you are carrying into it. Generally find I can get around most of the circuit in 3rd with a gentle nudge and release of the accelerator. 

Still working on my times with the wheel as they are way out at the moment to those I can get with the pad but having more fun with the wheel its a challenge for sure but enjoying wrestling with it. Smoothing out those rough edges bit by bit.

Also I'd turn off all the assists as soon as you can.... :D Frustrating for a few laps but rewarding when you get the hang of it....

1 hour ago, Meatball said:

TBH I'm damn surprised how high up that list @SteveH is.

I reckon he must've paid someone to set that time for him :P

:sealclap: Managed to improve slightly after chasing @footle's ghost for what seemed like an eternity. 

MrBungle06 1:03.787 - I reckon I could get that down to the 1:02's if I could get that first corner right. 

8 hours ago, milko said:

I cannot get the hang of this at ALL, hahaha. Completely disastrous. I might try my luck on the pad and see if that helps, or maybe I need to turn some assists on.

[rant]

Forget about the controller. I used it for clay pigeon shooting yesterday after a very, VERY frustrating 'just a couple of laps before bed' attempt to beat my lap time with the assists off. Conclusion: FM7no assists + controller = fucking murder. I don't know how some of you do it, it's so bloody sensitive!

Wheel tonight on my rig at the PC in the attic, after I've set a time in our weekly free practice for the ACC league.

Racing sims and controllers just don't work. It's like driving one of those really old cars that used a rod to steer:

image.png.4f0ec54f9e2c0822b7a9eb57b023be7d.png

[/rant]

2 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

As someone who has never really done this kind of thing before, or much in the way of online gaming, what's the etiquette for adding the dozen or so people who are participating as Xbox friends? Should I be asking first or what?

Not sure just send them... think most of us have been here long enough... :D  But usually we all know who we are in this thread so will be expecting a FR at some point....

Speaking of which in the good old 360 days you just sent and invite over and people accepted and job done. These days (since the Xbox One) seems to be slightly different... You "follow" someone and I guess when someone "follows" you back then you are friends? Seems to be how it works anyway. 

7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

As someone who has never really done this kind of thing before, or much in the way of online gaming, what's the etiquette for adding the dozen or so people who are participating as Xbox friends? Should I be asking first or what?

Send them flowers and chocolate first. I still haven't received mine!

JK, just add them as friends as I'm sure no-one here will mind. If the feeling isn't mutual you will just be a follower.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

You "follow" someone and I guess when someone "follows" you back then you are friends? Seems to be how it works anyway. 

It does indeed work this way. You'll get a message saying that X had added you as a friend, which makes you a 'follower' until they friend you back.

After that you can change some people's friendship to 'favourite' which makes them always appear at the top of your friends list.

9 hours ago, MattyP said:

Think the key with the wheel is to take it nice and smooth and don't oversteer. It's easy to put your foot down too much on the first half of the circuit and it will just spin. Had trouble with the first corner initially with spin outs - I'm just using the gears to get my speed down for the first turn and a very slight dab of the brake. The rest of the circuit doesn't really need the brake at all... OK possibly the entry into the final corner depending on how much speed you are carrying into it. Generally find I can get around most of the circuit in 3rd with a gentle nudge and release of the accelerator. 

i feel like the on-screen wheel turns a lot more than my actual one, maybe there’s some settings to adjust? And then yeah, to brake while steering in this thing seems to invite a spin very quickly unless you switch on the stability control assist.