IGNORED

Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us?

Oz

Uncharted 4 or The Last of Us?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My friend recently finished The Last of Us for the first time and confidently stated that it was a much better game than Uncharted 4. To which I replied 'yep'. I played some more Uncharted 4 that evening, just to be sure. The question has been stuck on my mind since. They are somewhat different games but considering the overall experience (game play, story, etc.) which one is 'better'?

They're pretty similar, and in terms of gameplay neither is especially inventive or interesting. TLOU is shit stealth with an amazing story and character, U4 is shit shooting and climbing with awesome set pieces. They're both wildly overrated.

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made. U4 is not the best game of 2016.

But why? Surely they are not that different. Uncharted's combat is more dynamic and the story more lighthearted. The Last of Us is all set serious and drab. Why do you think it's better? 

9 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

Dishonored? :wacko: The steampunk setting is enough to put me off, and the gameplay doesn't much to turn that around.

If you're not randomly discouraged by settings then you might prefer a game with actual climbing and stealth instead of a thin facsimile between cutscenes.

13 hours ago, Oz said:

But why? Surely they are not that different. Uncharted's combat is more dynamic and the story more lighthearted. The Last of Us is all set serious and drab. Why do you think it's better? 

Because the combat of the Last of Us allows for many approaches, use of the environment, use of different items to take down enemies or tactics. Stealth is a viable option (also to avoid conflict altogether sometimes) and action feels meaty and sickeningly physical. Most of the encounters feel real for that kind of world and not forced like in U4, so subsequently the world comes alive even better. Secondary systems like crafting have actual uses, and little ideas like healing yourself in real time while unable to move make so much difference on how the tension applies to each situation and the choices the player makes.

The writing is astonishing, the characters feel real, the story is extraordinary (especially for the gaming medium but also much better than many tv shows/movies of the post-apocalyptic genre) and the length of the game is just right. Also, the ending is amazing.

Nothing of the above applies to U4 in my opinion. They are very different games.

Here is where The Last of Us came in the forum top 100 after several pages of tedious arguments, along with a mini review:

I was all set to hate the game after everything I had read about it, but how wrong I was. It completely won me over. Uncharted 2 is also on the list somewhere, and I think that's still considered the best in the series.

Actually here it is:

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Dishonored 2

If Naughty Dogs games are polished to a diamond sheen, then Dishonored 2's equivalent is that of a broken housebrick. One of the very few games I've dropped due to technical reasons.I'm sure it's a very fine game, but it wasn't ready at launch.

I just finished the dlc and even though I was expecting it to be good considering the praise it all managed to exceed my expectations. 

Amazing stuff. Not sure where the sequel can take it but they have made a genuine classic game here 

What is truly staggering is the bar set in singleplayer carries over into multiplayer (for me anyway)

TLoU's MP designers should receive the first Nobel Prize for Game Design.

I'm still playing it (now in 1080p 60FPS) almost daily - after 4 years...

Replaying ability means nothing to me when I am judging a game. I am not looking for replay ability when I am watching a movie or a book for example, why should I expect something different from a game? If a game allows for it, good (though I rarely replay games). But it is not a negative for me and I really think that, most of the times, designing a game to offer replay value really diminishes general aspects of that game that could be really better.

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Replaying ability means nothing to me when I am judging a game. I am not looking for replay ability when I am watching a movie or a book for example, why should I expect something different from a game? If a game allows for it, good (though I rarely replay games). But it is not a negative for me and I really think that, most of the times, designing a game to offer replay value really diminishes general aspects of that game that could be really better.

Its just a shame games don't cost the same as films or books.

Replayability depends on the type of game. I still play Robotron via MAME and that's nearly 40 years old, I couldn't bring myself to start at the beginning on MGSV again though.

The only time I've played a narrative based game through more than once is when a lot of time has passed and it's been re-released on a new console, like the Uncharted trilogy.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Pro rata I would say films generally cost more . A ticket to the cinema is , what, £10?  For 2 hours entertainment . Of course you could wait to rent it . Same as you can wait for games to drop in price .

But comparisons between the two are silly . 

2 hours ago, cubik said:

Replayability depends on the type of game. I still play Robotron via MAME and that's nearly 40 years old, I couldn't bring myself to start at the beginning on MGSV again though.

I would, if I could skip that crappy hospital bit.

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

They last longer though, don't they? Besides, creating each game with replaying in mind is quite impossible and tends to be a very specific procedure, not only resource wise but genre wise also. So it shouldn't be, in my opinion, a deciding factor when it comes to the quality of a game.

The books/films comparison seems to be missing part of the point of many games - the fact that they are (or should be) intrinsically fun to play. Not just once, but in their core they should have something that keeps pulling you back. And in the case of UC4, there's also the online modes - they wouldn't be much cop if you only played each scenario through once, would they?

After last night playing UC4's excellent Survival mode and our team having lots of fun again - a lot more than we have in certain far more popular online shooters which shall remain nameless - I get the impression I must play a different version of UC4 to a lot of people on the forum. The one I'm used to playing has great 3rd person shooting and a fair bit of variety in the way you can choose to engage enemies. I think a lot of people must have just blasted through the campaign on normal or easy and then sold the title on without doing it on harder difficulties or exploring the mechanics in multiplayer at all (even when the game came out there was hardly anyone from the forum playing online), and I reckon they're missing a few tricks.

Each to their own, of course, but I think UC4's combat mechanics really are great fun, if a little light. The worst bits of the game come in those sections of the campaign, of which there are a few, where you're not given enough scope to use them all. When it does give you the tools and lets you run with them, it's up there with the best 3rd person shooters for me. The online stuff is certainly a blast, and that's nothing to do with story or acting.

The books/films thing is a daft argument anyway, because not only are games not these things, if you've never wanted to read a book or watch a film more than once, you can't be that into films and books, or you've never found one that you actually love. Which amounts to the same thing really.