Sign in to follow this  
Yobo Ahoy

Your favourite things to break

No, this isn't a thread about DeKay's ongoing hardware problems. 

I'm talking about destructible objects in games - wholly unrelated to the story - that you just can't resist fucking up because it's so damn satisfying. 

It might just be me but I'm playing Metal Gear Rising at the moment and I just can't help chopping everything I see in half. I'm sure it's taking me double the time as I am scouring every room for something to slice up.

Bookcase? That could do with being half the height.

Palm tree? Why have not two palm trees?

Soldier guy? You weren't using that arm, were you?

And so on. I also liked smashing vases in MGSV because of the comedy sound effect, and back in the day I was quite insistent on blowing up every TV monitor I came across in GoldenEye. 

Anyone else? 

• Upvote 4

Whilst not hugely "destructible" (there are only two states of destruction), tyres in Crackdown were always a weird obsession for me. "Hey you! Try going anywhere with three flats....damnit. Okay... four flats!" Then I'd try driving those cars myself because I really wanted a worse driving model.

EDIT: also - 

UkUWIyQ.jpg

My avatar here used to be a GoldenEye CCTV camera because there's never been as satisfying an animation/sound effect combination as a silenced PP7 bullet straight through the glass lens (as opposed to the metal chassis).

Perfect Dark's cameras were nowhere near the same league. (Though TimeSplitters 2's bricks through glass windows were pretty nice.)

• Upvote 9

Whenever my partner and I play Diablo 3 we have to destroy ALL THE FURNITURE!

I can just imagine our heros swaggering back into town. "Killed the demons? Yep! All gone. Er....by the way.....they seemed to have wrecked all your stuff. Chests, tables ladders....even the barrels. Sorry about that."

• Upvote 1

Trying to draw a smiley face with bullet holes in any game with a gun - ammunition be damned. Also, if the game allows enough decals, a big jizzing cock.

I'm 41 :(

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Trying to draw a smiley face with bullet holes in any game with a gun - ammunition be damned. Also, if the game allows enough decals, a big jizzing cock.

I'm 41 :(

Yes! It used to irritate the piss out of me when systems didn't have the memory to store enough bullet hole decals and the eyes would start to disappear before I'd done the mouth.

Best done in Goldeneye with the paintball cheat enabled.

CCTV cameras in all games. Goldeneye was the first one I remember, then Portal and Portal 2. Think Deadpool as well, but any game I see them in I can't resist.

And pots and grass in Zelda. Got to be done.

Ooh I forgot about parking meters in Sleeping Dogs. Kerching!

Also fire hydrants. If the fire hydrants in an open world game don't explode with water when I smash it up, then it instantly loses points. 

1 minute ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Ooh I forgot about parking meters in Sleeping Dogs. Kerching!

Also fire hydrants. If the fire hydrants in an open world game don't explode with water when I smash it up, then it instantly loses points. 

I would like to see this water actually pool up and make little streams.

On 17/12/2016 at 09:38, ScouserInExile said:

Cones in driving games. Even better if you can punt one all the way around a circuit, at least once

This is very true, loved the sound effect in Daytona!

Perhaps a little too much, I can safely say that in an E reg Vauxhaul Belmont the sound effect of car impacting traffic cone is very different and much more damaging to ones bumper than you would expect...