WipEout Omega Collection - VR Update out now

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

1 hour ago, dave7g said:

Switched to using the fastest ship, now it's raining gold medals everywhere.  Always found them a bit twitchy to control usually, but not in VR. VR is glorious.

Glad it helped.

In other news...

Killer app?

Once I got the prototype ships unlocked it was all good. To be honest I didn't really know anything about them, the layout isn't very clear as what to do. Hit Mach 1.2 on a zone, felt very strange during, not sick, just odd. I'm quite sure VR could easily be used for some crazy mind experiments. It's only a matter of time.

Ugh, Sebenco Climb. Don't think I even managed a full lap. I was convinced Metropia was going to be the one to finish me off but I actually found that really gentle on my stomach. I need a poo just thinking about Sebenco Climb though.

1 hour ago, Strangelite said:

*Ahem* That may have been my fault...

We played the original vita version of the 2048's with a PlayStation 4 pad and it was super easy.. (Like.... every race we were winning with 30-40 seconds lead)  So we enlisted the help of some veteran QA testers to increase the difficulty. There'll be definitely some "spotty" races which are unnaturally hard.

My big of advice would be, stick to the Feisar speed for nearly all the races. The game is tuned against that ship primarily, and all races are all "comfortably possible" with that ship.(Elite level maybe not so much) Except the combat races - use the Qirex for those, but they are actually exactly the same as the Vita (which must have been insanely difficult....

Anyway, "soz" and that...

Don't feel so bad I'm actually finding it quite a bit easier in VR, I struggled with it on Vita and pretty much gave up although I would have continued if it worked on PSTV.  I didn't fare much better when PS4 Omega collection initially came out tbh.

However now I have just 2 events left (out of 2048/49/50) that aren't elite passed. Some time trial which is a bastard and a combat one (score 100) which is also a bastard.  I wasn't anywhere near as good as this before.

3 hours ago, EUkdazs said:

Ugh, Sebenco Climb. Don't think I even managed a full lap. I was convinced Metropia was going to be the one to finish me off but I actually found that really gentle on my stomach. I need a poo just thinking about Sebenco Climb though.

I hate that track and according to the stats it is my favourite track, lies lies all lies.  :lol:

4 hours ago, Strangelite said:

We played the original vita version of the 2048's with a PlayStation 4 pad and it was super easy.. (Like.... every race we were winning with 30-40 seconds lead)  So we enlisted the help of some veteran QA testers to increase the difficulty. There'll be definitely some "spotty" races which are unnaturally hard.

My big of advice would be, stick to the Feisar speed for nearly all the races. The game is tuned against that ship primarily, and all races are all "comfortably possible" with that ship.(Elite level maybe not so much) Except the combat races - use the Qirex for those, but they are actually exactly the same as the Vita (which must have been insanely difficult....

The Feisar Prototype is easy on the eye and easy on the track. Once that's unlocked, the game is fine. I found the Vita version to be far tougher to be honest. You've done a great job on this collection, and the VR is all I can think about now.

I've been taking it very easy after my first attempt with pilot tracking messed me up for over a day. Turned on most of the comfort settings for a while, then got myself back to full cockpit view and track camera (whats the difference between track and cockpit btw? I couldnt tell).

My first time to do Moa Therma, the game told me that track causes VR sickness in some players and defaulted me back to full comfort settings. Really??? Moa Therma? I got no warnings for Sebenco Climb, what is it about the former that makes it a trigger for people?

I really do want to get back to pilot tracking, would it help to do so with the narrow cockpit enabled? Scared to try tbh.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:58, Strangelite said:

I play AG systems and the A+ challenges are nigh on impossible even with perfect laps as they just aren't fast enough. 

I am another person who has grown accustomed to VR so that initial wow factor has diminished. Despite that, there have been moments in this that have made me think about what just happened with some disbelief.

1: Amphiseum, coming down the long straight towards the right-hand hairpin, all the while looking to the right (at the corner exit) before I turn. It's just so natural, and inconceivable in regular gaming.

2: Talon's Junction. Hitting the mag-strip that loops over your head, and looking directly up through the canopy as I move forward to line up the boost pad (that used to have to be done by instinct/memory as I couldn't see it). When a competitor is up there too it's a Top Gun moment.

3: Autopilot. I now take these little moments of respite to look back over the side of my seat to see if anyone is coming up behind me.

I'm actually worried that it might have broken vanilla Wipeout for me. I can't imagine playing it the old way now. It's also interesting how quickly I am getting perfect laps on the tracks with tricky sections (Chenghou project stood out as I always used to scrape the walls there).

That said, Phantom class is still a bit of a ping-pong fest so it may just be that venom/flash/rapier feel so much faster from the cockpit that I only think I'm performing better than I used to.

edit - 1 & 2 make me really excited for the forthcoming Ace Combat VR. I really hope it's a fully fleshed out mode. Can't wait!

I've been very much enjoying this lately. Did the basic 2048 races and I think I'll struggle with Elite Pass on those later Combat stages. The races and Time Trials are great though. Not mad keen on the left,right,left input for barrel rolls but everything else is perfect.

Interested in trying the VR too. Sold mine to a friend a while back but I might ask him to bring it over so we can boak all over the carpet.

Ha, the other day I tried to talk my nephew into trying this instead of whatever Lego game he had with him - I turned assists on and picked an easy low-speed track and despite bumping around a bit he went from disinterest to actively stopping me from switching games when I assumed he'd had enough. :D 

Still loving this in VR.

It's as if someone took what Powerdrome on the Amiga looked like in my head and made it reality!

Is it me, or is the audio left/right channels reversed on the main menu. When the ships pass you on either side, the sound comes from the opposite ear.

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Still loving this in VR.

It's as if someone took what Powerdrome on the Amiga looked like in my head and made it reality!

Is it me, or is the audio left/right channels reversed on the main menu. When the ships pass you on either side, the sound comes from the opposite ear.

Yeah I noticed the audio glitch too. 

I've built myself up to using pilot tracking with no cockpit blinkers and not had any ill effects. Three sessions now. Although I am limiting myself to tracks that are proven to be the most comfortable - Anulpha Pass, Chenghou Project, I also managed Sebenco Climb (not touching Moa Therma or Altima yet). Whoever mentioned leaning into the turns helps, I think they were right.

There aren't many games that I play just for the sake of playing, I am a very goal-oriented gamer in general - but this has me going back regularly just for the experience.

Does anyone know if the online community has been revitalised since the VR patch? I run two PS4s at home and the one on the telly has PS plus, the one I use for VR needs to be activated to get online so I wont do it unless its worth it.

• 3 years later...

I went back to this tonight. I'd completely walked away from it a few years back, nothing to do with the quality and the fun, just that thing with games, the allure of the new. I'd had a damn good go at the thing, mind. Plenty of golds and that but also plenty of spaces for medals.

Anyway, playing it on a PS5 on a monster TV with Hue lights flashing all over, a banging Spotify playlist (Plump DJs, The Chemical Brothers etc, all the big beat stuff) and decided I needed to rectify some of those empty spaces.

What a mad fucking rush of a game this is, did they do something to this for PS5, yeah, pretty sure that's a no, it sure looks pretty though and the Dualsence is perfect. Honestly went to another place earlier trying to get to zone 60 on one of the 2048 etc zone races. It might be due to the syncing pulsating lights or the massive TV but I definitely went to some other realm, one I've been to before, mainly with Wipeout going back to the first. Just sort of zone out lol and start driving on autopilot, it's awesome but it didn't get me to 60, scraped a wall and came to. Managed 49.

I'm on this for the rest of the night, it's such a rush and after a few laps you go from thinking 'that medal is impossible' to 'I'll smash that'

Really, really glad I've got back into it, and it might be in my head but I'm sure the image is clearer more crisp than on my Pro in the bedroom. Even if that's just in my head the PS5 pad deffo feels like it's more suited to the game.

Classic.

It looks stunning, same as it did on PS4. I've just had to knock a race down from Elite. It was killing me, no ship could change my only coming 4th. Oh well, Elite back on for my next race.

Just watching the ships flying around after my last race, the game is stunning, absolutely beautiful on the eyes with all the neon and track effects, then the ships. I wanna hold one of the models in my hands. Their design was never beaten.