IGNORED

Uncharted - The Lost Legacy

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

11 hours ago, Paulando said:

I really wasn't interested in this, as I didn't think much of Uncharted 4. Mark Brown mentioned something on Twitter about this being a bit less linear though. You need to explore a fairly big area using a paper map? If that's true, it's sounds amazing and I want it immediately.

Did I understand that correctly?

Yes. That would be chapter 4 which is massive and completely non-lineair. It's the biggest Uncharted level ever. 
It's not like the entire game is like that, which would hurt the pacing, but that level has non-lineair exploration with lots of optional things to find, platforming, puzzles and some really good combat encounters, which are also very open in their design.

It's really, really good. Brown is spot-on.

Finished that part last night, I'm hoping you can easily return to get the rest of the tokens later?

This game is proper funny, in a bizarre ironic way it's clearly taking ideas straight from modern Lara Croft games! Isn't even trying to disguise it, it's just like 'Well you stole our ideas so we'll take yours' :lol:

The pick tool for climbing into certain parts of terrain from the reboots and then the tile puzzle mechanics from the popular mobile game

11 hours ago, Capwn said:

Finished that part last night, I'm hoping you can easily return to get the rest of the tokens later?

Reveal hidden contents

The pick tool for climbing into certain parts of terrain from the reboots and then the tile puzzle mechanics from the popular mobile game

I'm not sure you do . Because when you

get all 11 tokens , Nadine says to Chloe, " if you're gonna go and use those token , best do it now because we won't be coming  back" or words to that effect . I got all 11 and got the reward . Which is ok but nothing essential

Yeah about 5 hours in now, really impressed with the scope of it. I think they could have released this as Uncharted5, sure people would have called it awful and probably the worst in the series but they would have believed it was actually Uncharted5 which is pretty amazing for a game made in such little time.

Actually, some are calling it the best in the series for good reason. It has a likeable lead, some of the best set-pieces in the series, a snappy pace, nice exploration and probably the best combat of them all. The Phantom Pain comparison from Eurogamer makes sense (from a gameplay perspective, not story-wise).

This game is fantastic on nearly all levels.

I guess not feasible but I'd welcome more shorter single player adventure games at around the £25 price point.

Perhaps the DLC model is the most proven successful way to do this, but for new titles (not spin-offs) it'd be fantastic.

2 hours ago, wullie said:

My copy arrived yesterday, had a quick half hour on it. I really need to exert some willpower and play through it at least once without stopping every 10 seconds to go into the photo mode.

You really do. It only gets harder to resist as you go on. Also, there's a chapter select after completing it.

The intro chapters were crap and reminded me of Uncharted 2 in a bad way because I don't like Uncharted 2. In chapter 4 it opens up massively and in terms of visual quality it seems like you're playing a different game. Based purely on chapter 4 this is fan-fucking-tastic and the best Uncharted yet. It reminds me a bit of MGSV with its sandbox open stealth combat, but  polished to the nth degree and with visuals to die for. It just plays really well, a seamless blend of exploration, platforming, and combat. As someone who disliked the rigid linearity and forced combat scenarios of the earlier games, this is just perfect. It plays better  than the best gameplay bits in Uncharted 4, and - maybe surprisingly - Chloe works just as well as Nathan as the lead character. Maybe even, dare I say it, a bit better. After playing this I would be very disappointed if there ever was an Uncharted 5 with Nathan in the lead role again, especially with the way they gave his story closure in 4.  

39 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Want to pos for glowing impressions, but need to neg for saying you don't like Uncharted 2, which is the best one. Hnnngh. On balance I'll leave you alone to wallow in your weird, wrong, topsy turvy land of nonsense and terrible opinions.

Uhm, thanks I guess. Have a pos from me :)

34 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

God fucking damn it, you guys! I was hoping to avoid the temptation. But your MGS5 comparisons ripped through my defences like the death star. It's downloading now.

Beware that those comparisons don't start until after the intro - before that it's Uncharted-ass Uncharted. Also, it completely lacks the Kojima zaniness of course. The comparisons come from the seamless blend of stealth and combat in an open environment with non-linear objectives. It does it really well. 

I just shot everyone in the balls and head - where rocket-propelled grenades were unavailable. In between collecting trinkets, leafing through the tourist pics I took on my Sony smartphone, and engaging in emotional scenes in which I reminisced about my father with a slight air of wistfulness and regret. But mainly I shot men in the balls and head. And stole some Asian jewellery off dead people.

Was cool, would pillage again.

Chloe is fan-fucking-tastic. Properly fully developed. She was always my fave person in Uncharted 2 and 3 (although she wasn't in it half as much as she should have been). 

It does strike me that Naughty Dog properly know how to write their female characters - although I think it helps that without a fault they've all been acted superbly too.

Only just started Lost Legacy and already I know it's great :D

The open world bit is great. Wonder if their next game might be a bit more open world and this was a dry run.

Also, whichever actress plays Nadine hasn't improved her awful South African accent, wasn't so annoying in UC4 as you didn't see that much of her but she's omnipresent in this and really taking me out the whole experience. It's not even close.  

I love the details in this, like the way that Chloe's hands are all chapped and fucked-up in closeup - presumably because of all the bare-handed climbing and gunplay -  and the way that her hair gets all sweaty after a fight.

21 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

The open world bit is great. Wonder if their next game might be a bit more open world and this was a dry run.

I was thinking the same as I was playing it. Whether this is a dry run for both Chloe as the lead character and a more open world direction for the series. Both with great success!

In fact, as I said earlier, for me it's so successful that I would be very disappointed if it went back to plain old Uncharted starring plain old Nathan in Uncharted 5.

The Last of Us also took a pretty open approach to its combat encounters, but the main difference is that Nate and Chloe are way more dynamic. TLoU is slower and more methodical. But I do think its sequel will build on this wide linearity, as Naughty Dog calls it.

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

The Last of Us also took a pretty open approach to its combat encounters, but the main difference is that Nate and Chloe are way more dynamic. TLoU is slower and more methodical. But I do think its sequel will build on this wide linearity, as Naughty Dog calls it.

It had an open approach within a linear framework. The Lost Legacy chapter 4 has an open approach within an open environment, which greatly benefits the combat and stealth. As well as the feeling of actual exploration of course, no small thing in a game with an Indiana Jones-like theme.

It's true that each UC is more open than the one before it, which could very well influence TLoU 2's design as well. I don't think they'll go full open world as it slows the pace too much and often hampers storytelling, but the mix that TLL has should be the template going forward in my opinion.