The Last of Us Part 2

Knowing that I'll not be buying a PS4 again or getting a PS5 for at least a year (or ever) I've been watching a walkthrough in 4K (captured from a PS4 pro.). 

Lovely audio visuals love the little attention to detail in there lots more environmental things. Grass swaying in the wind, snow falling off trees as you brush past them.

Reminds me a bit of the Tomb Raider reboot though for some reason except obviously no Zombies in TR. 

Lovely game sad I won't be playing it but at least I get to see the story develop :)

38 minutes ago, Moz said:

Alternatively, switch your Pro to 1080p and it’ll sound like a hair dryer instead of a helicopter. That’s what I had to do. 

Something's wrong with your PS4 Pro. I've had other games get my Pro's fans going far harder than this game has.

• Upvote 3
49 minutes ago, Moz said:

Alternatively, switch your Pro to 1080p and it’ll sound like a hair dryer instead of a helicopter. That’s what I had to do. 

Does the version of the pro make any difference? When I had mine it was the updated version with the smaller power header (PS4 size not the kettle lead). It was pretty quiet not super quiet but bearable.

Ok. Done the first one, I’m in. 

How does this compare difficulty wise with the first? Played through that on Normal and guess found it “nicely challenging” with a couple of bastard bits. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Something's wrong with your PS4 Pro. I've had other games get my Pro's fans going far harder than this game has.

If it’s not the fan it’s usually the heat sink that’s full of crud... seems to require a proper dismantling to service. 

The PS4 Pro started things with the removable lid, but I’d like to see even more user serviceable things with the new consoles, and for them to be quiet in the first place. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

If it’s not the fan it’s usually the heat sink that’s full of crud... seems to require a proper dismantling to service. 

The PS4 Pro started things with the removable lid, but I’d like to see even more user serviceable things with the new consoles, and for them to be quiet in the first place. 

Also the thermal compound dries out so probably worth cleaning that off and applying some fresh.

• Upvote 1

Gah, I knew this was coming, I'm surprised it took so long...

Click if you're past day 3

Spoiler

Click if it's no longer day time

Spoiler

Ok, so, it's an infected siege with only a hammer. Anyone managed this on hard? It's so frustrating. I think I'm going to switch the dodge prompts to 'always'.

43 minutes ago, spanx said:

How does this compare difficulty wise with the first? Played through that on Normal and guess found it “nicely challenging” with a couple of bastard bits. 

I'd say the sequel is easier on normal than the first. Can't say I've struggled with much so far. 

45 minutes ago, spanx said:

Normal and Hard will give you chance to get through with just enough challenge to be able to have a good play with the guns.

Any harder (where’s Grounded??) should be considered a longer term project. You’ll get fuck all ammo and no room for error.

Just a quick heads up for anyone who doesn't know and hasn't guessed, this is an all-timer on headphones. Some of the greatest sound design I've ever heard. Makes me think of the first time I heard Battlefield 4 on headphones, jaw-dropping. 

• Upvote 3
49 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Gah, I knew this was coming, I'm surprised it took so long...

Click if you're past day 3

Hide contents

Click if it's no longer day time

Hide contents

Ok, so, it's an infected siege with only a hammer. Anyone managed this on hard? It's so frustrating. I think I'm going to switch the dodge prompts to 'always'.

I did it on hard but it took me about 10 tries. 

Just finished. I swear it could have ended at any one of about 5 different points in the last hour or two and I'm not sure they picked the right one, but still. What a game.

The best analogy I can think of between this and the first game is that the first game is the perfectly formed first season of a TV show where they get everything just right. All the characters work, all the sub-plots work, it ends on just the right moment. It feels like it could well be self-contained and you think you want more but you're not sure because you don't want them to ruin the perfection of the story and the ending.

TLOU2 is the messier follow-up season. The messier follow-up seasons 2, 3 and 4 all in one package, even. It gets bigger and broadens its horizons even further and in the end it inevitably loses that beautiful perfection of the original season's relative simplicity. Some new characters are better than others, some episodes feel a bit like filler in the scheme of things, it doesn't quite know how to quit when it's on top and goes on a bit longer than you'd like. But it builds on that perfect first season to create something beautifully, imperfectly, sprawling, ambitious and impactful that you're still incredibly glad exists. 

• Upvote 1

Fuck me, what a game! Jesus. I haven't even finished day 2 yet and it's my game of the year. It's the tensest game I've ever played. Tenser than my first time through Dark Souls, even. Goddamn.

38 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Fuck me, what a game! Jesus. I haven't even finished day 2 yet and it's my game of the year. It's the tensest game I've ever played. Tenser than my first time through Dark Souls, even. Goddamn.

It’s constantly tense . Like all the time . Just like the first one . It’s just an incredible game . You aren’t off your guard for one second 

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Just a quick heads up for anyone who doesn't know and hasn't guessed, this is an all-timer on headphones. Some of the greatest sound design I've ever heard. Makes me think of the first time I heard Battlefield 4 on headphones, jaw-dropping. 

I think the same, the combat in particular is sickeningly realistic when you hear through headphones.

• Upvote 1

So I'm about 5 hours in and so far I'm underwhelmed. The usual production values are there, with game and plot woven with typical skill. But the story is cheap and the gameplay is somehow even slower. I've beaten the original 4 times and I absolutely love it, but this needs to pick up. 

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, nakamura said:

So I'm about 5 hours in and so far I'm underwhelmed. The usual production values are there, with game and plot woven with typical skill. But the story is cheap and the gameplay is somehow even slower. I've beaten the original 4 times and I absolutely love it, but this needs to pick up. 

It does.

4 hours ago, spanx said:

About the same, I'd say.

3 minutes ago, nakamura said:

The original was a masterpiece IMHO. Played it back on the PS3 on its release. Wasn't sure if I'd like it going by the reviews - involved stealth and crafting but both were well implemented.

Watched around three hours of the game play through tonight - sad I know but I'll probably not ever play this. It looks stunning but seems lacking a bit compared to the first. Not sure what it is. Perhaps the first was so good it's difficult to make a follow up that hits the spot..

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

The original was a masterpiece IMHO. Played it back on the PS3 on its release. Wasn't sure if I'd like it going by the reviews - involved stealth and crafting but both were well implemented.

Watched around three hours of the game play through tonight - sad I know but I'll probably not ever play this. It looks stunning but seems lacking a bit compared to the first. Not sure what it is. Perhaps the first was so good it's difficult to make a follow up that hits the spot..

Do you think it might be that you played the original and watched the sequel? 

• Upvote 7
20 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Do you think it might be that you played the original and watched the sequel? 

No. Think the first one has a sense of larger scale traversing a country to be mans last hope etc. Personally also think the story was more engaging that what I've seen so far. Just my thoughts though. Glad people are enjoying it. :) I've stopped watching the gameplay now just in case I get a chance to play at some point in the future - there are rumours Sony might be opening up to ports over to the PC so you never know.... :

Just finished and it was just fantastic. Was even a bit of dust in my eye at the end. Masterful game. When I started it, I couldn’t wait to finish it, the the end, I did t want it to stop. So many moments of beauty and spectacle. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Thor said:

Some PS4 Pros are fucked, some aren’t. New variants are better. It’s been sat doing nothing for a year waiting for this to come out and I’m selling it as soon as I finish this. It’s nothing to do with heat or dust and it was fucked the day I got it. Just like lots of other people. The launch ones in particular are catastrophically loud regardless of heatsink, TIM or actual temperature. 

My launch day Pro sounds like a harrier jump jet. Just cranked up the speakers and getting lost in the world numbs my brain to it. 

Also weapon / ammo type spoiler

Incendiary shotgun rounds! are beautiful and brutal. The first time I fired it lit up the night sky like a firework and took out two runners at once.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think I’m even half way through so it remains to be seen how the overall story compares to the first one but as a piece of video game design I think it is massively superior, and I loved the first game.

I did the (Day 2)

Spoiler

Hillcrest section 

tonight and the comparisons made with MGS V and Halo were apt - an incredibly intense combat sandbox with aggressive AI and great level design that allows you to tackle it umpteen different ways and forces you to use all the options at your disposal. While still maintaining powerful forward narrative momentum. 

The environmental puzzles are also a delight. Would have been so easy to rest on their laurels there but it seems like they really took the criticism of those pallet and ladder sections to heart.

• Upvote 2

I just did my first rage quit. I'm so reluctant to alter the difficulty this far into the game, considering I would say everything else so far has been pretty easy. This is a massive spike. Eventually I managed to get past the part in my previous post:

Spoiler

Now I'm trapped in yet another seige and I'm inside a small maze of a building and the other two have disappeared. There's clickers, runners and eventually TWO shamblers, and I barely have any ammo. Plus it decided to save before I reloaded my gun. It was absolutely infuriating. Add to that the fact I initially thought enemies were infinitely repawning and I needed to find a way out of there rather than fight them...

Honestly, I feel like it could've finished five hours ago and I'd have been happier.

Edit: ok, done. I was never going to bed without conquering that section. Good ol' shotty.