rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

27 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

This is true for all developers, especially on this level of AAA.

It's really not.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Try to keep an open mind until you've finished, it's very well done and could only be told in this particular way as a game so I have to give it kudos for that. It's impossible to imagine this being executed in the same way in a movie which probably isn't something I could say about the first game, magnificent though it was.

I’m still curious to see where it goes, but this is the first time I’ve found it just as likely that I’ll be playing something else tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It's really not.

It really is. From Rockstar to Ubisoft and Santa Monica and from EA to Epic or Bungie, people are constantly working overtime. Unfortunately it is an industry wide problem.

43 minutes ago, df0 said:

That was the dog of that cunt Alan you shot in the face on the previous page. I hope you feel bad now.

His owner might have been called Kevin. One of the guys I butchered was anyway :lol: 

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

It really is. From Rockstar to Ubisoft and from EA to Epic, people are constantly working overtime.

Overtime != Crunch.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, what does that mean?

Overtime is not equal to crunch.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Spacehost said:

Overtime is not equal to crunch.

I think that’s a word confusion, I’m not a native English speaker. What happens to ND happens to the studios I mentioned. That better?

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

I think that’s a word confusion, I’m not a native English speaker. What happens to ND happens to the studios I mentioned. That better?

It doesn't though. Not on the scale seen at ND.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Pug said:

Here's some glitching I've had. It's at the end of Day 2 for spoiler consideration.

Reveal hidden contents

:lol: You've got the best version of the game!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It doesn't though. Not on the scale seen at ND.

You are wrong, as we have seen in Rockstar, Santa Monica or CD Projekt to name a few. It is general industry issue in varying degrees.

You are wrong, as we have seen in Rockstar, Santa Monica or CD Projekt to name a few. It is general industry issue in varying degrees.

It's absolutely an issue, and ND are worse offenders than others. That shouldn't be brushed off.

• Upvote 3

I thought it was prevalent in many dev studios, particularly Rockstar. What singles out Naughty Dog as the worst offender? Genuine question because I don't know.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought it was prevalent in many dev studios, particularly Rockstar. What singles out Naughty Dog as the worst offender? Genuine question because I don't know.

I never said they were the worst. This is a thread about their game, seems odd not to discuss them specifically?

As df0 says there are other places to discuss this of course.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Worth giving this a read https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962. It includes the quote "Even in an industry where overtime is ubiquitous, where it’s near-impossible to find a game that isn’t the result of weeks or months of crunch, Naughty Dog stands out."

I think both TSH and Spacehost are right, it's a universal problem but Naughty Dog (and Rockstar) do seem to be particularly bad.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

It's absolutely an issue, and ND are worse offenders than others. That shouldn't be brushed off.

It shouldn’t be brushed off regarding any AAA developer. That’s how big of a problem it is. 

And not only in our industry. The movies we enjoy are full of horror stories like that.

3 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I never said they were the worst. This is a thread about their game, seems odd not to discuss them specifically?

As df0 says there are other places to discuss this of course.

Maybe I read too much into your post, but it kind of implied ND were worse than devs TSH mentioned. Either way, I'm not here to defend ND or any other dev team. I agree it's an issue that needs to be addressed. :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

It shouldn’t be brushed off regarding any AAA developer. That’s how big of a problem it is.

So why the "lewt's nowt swingwle owt Nawty Dawg uwu uwu" bullshit whenever anyone brings it up?

• Upvote 1

Could you just go and make another thread if you really want to get into this again? Can't we have a single week of discussing the actual game instead of all the politics that come with making it?

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

So why the "lewt's nowt swingwle owt Nawty Dawg uwu uwu" bullshit whenever anyone brings it up?

When you say anyone you mean “you”? You are the one specifically trying to single out ND so I thought to remind you that this is an industry problem.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Maybe I read too much into your post, but it kind of implied ND were worse than devs TSH mentioned. Either way, I'm not here to defend ND or any other dev team. I agree it's an issue that needs to be addressed. :)

ND are absolutely worse offenders than, say, Respawn. I've not heard anything bad out of Sledgehammer in a long time, or IW. Bungie seem to be managing fine despite being on a content treadmill for the past five years.

It's a fallacy that ND are representative of most AAA studios in terms of crunch culture, they're an outlier. Playing into that kind of narrative leads to the public and press either being uncritical or going into full on cargo-cultism where the belief is a game is good because it involved crunch, the more crunch the better the game.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

Could you just go and make another thread if you really want to get into this again? Can't we have a single week of discussing the actual game instead of all the politics that come with making it?

True. Apologies.

When you say anyone you mean “you”? You are the one specifically trying to single out ND so I thought to remind you that this is an industry problem.

It's a thread about ND's game, it's hard not to talk about them. I'm sorry if people are uncomfortable discussing how the sausage is made when they're eating it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

It's a thread about ND's game, it's hard not to talk about them. I'm sorry if people are uncomfortable discussing how the sausage is made when they're eating it.

True enough, but good table manners preclude that scenario. Now you're just being a dick. Take this to another thread please. 

Sooooo...

The sex scene...felt a bit awkward...could have faded to black? Reminded me a bit of Basic Instinct when Mickey D has some "afternoon delight" with Jeanne Tripplehorn

19 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

ND lose all their employees after each game because they treat their employees like shit. Those people are leaving for the other studios you’re listing, because they’re not as giant of a bunch of cunts to work for as ND. Except Rockstar, they’re also absolutely awful.

Just now, teddymeow said:

Sooooo...

Reveal hidden contents

The sex scene...felt a bit awkward...could have faded to black? Reminded me a bit of Basic Instinct when Mickey D has some "afternoon delight" with Jeanne Tripplehorn

It was unnecessary, but to me wasn't gratuitous. 

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Sooooo...

Reveal hidden contents

Compared to what we find in other games I thought that was Oscar worthy. :D

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

True enough, but good table manners preclude that scenario. Now you're just being a dick. Take this to another thread please. 

I still don't get why games fans are largely either disinterested or actively hostile to the idea of discussing the process that lies behind what they play.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Broker said:

ND lose all their employees after each game because they treat their employees like shit. Those people are leaving for the other studios you’re listing, because they’re not as giant of a bunch of cunts to work for as ND.

I wouldn't use that terminology, but I think a lot of good people collect their bonus and quit for somewhere they can get the same pay cheque with less PTSD. Often clean out of the industry.