rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Basically I came in with a little bit of a debaser style chip on my shoulder, but rather than sit with a stopwatch as the game loads thinking "this'll get 'em!" I'm definitely being turned around to its charms. It's good. It's the good game. People should play the good game. 

I haven’t got a chip on my shoulder, I just see a game full of faults which has gameplay mechanics which should have been long consigned to the scrapheap. I’m sorry I expected more from the most hyped game in years. 

And it does take too long to load. 

every time there is one guy left in an encounter I follow him around for ages before whispering 'applesauce, bitch', popping up and blowing his head off with my revolver. Lolz

very impressive 

Spoiler

stretchy face technology on display in the museum flashback

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

every time there is one guy left in an encounter I follow him around for ages before whispering 'applesauce, bitch', popping up and blowing his head off with my revolver. Lolz

Word, bitch! Phantoms like a mofucka!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dvdx2 said:

Few nitpicks; 

I’d like to see an auto collect item and disable film grain in game - you can do it in photo mode, but not in the main game; it’s not as bad in light scenes, but I think it would look better with it removed.

i have seen a few reused assets - the same white board appeared with the same management brain storming notes in two different locations. I’ve also had a few bugs, such as not being able to go back to the game from viewing a trading card (O button unresponsive) and my gun got stuck in the wall, whilst flicking really fast. 

Great game though!

Almost certain there’s an auto loot option in the accessibly options. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

very impressive 

Reveal hidden contents

stretchy face technology on display in the museum flashback

I keep saying to myself “Good night sweet prince!” When taking out the baddies. This is normal right? 

Also that’s a Robocop “Good night sweet prince!”, not a Hamlet one. 

49 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I haven’t got a chip on my shoulder, I just see a game full of faults which has gameplay mechanics which should have been long consigned to the scrapheap. I’m sorry I expected more from the most hyped game in years. 

And it does take too long to load. 

Ok I’ll bite. It takes a little while to launch but in game there is no loading at all it’s seamless, and even when you die it drops you back in the game in like 10 seconds or less - so unless you’re quitting and reloading a lot for some reason I can’t see how it’s even worth mentioning. 

Which gameplay mechanics are dated? 

• Upvote 2

I just died and the X to continue came up literally THREE SECONDS later. I'm constantly restarting checkpoints precisely because it's fast.

• Upvote 3

It hides quite a bit of loading in cutscenes as well. If you start skipping on a second play through, it's noticeable. Not a complaint - it's still really impressive overall.

WOO-HOO!!!

Arrived 2 weeks earlier than expected. ❤️

105275261_10222648964156505_3409191553862048385_o.jpg

Currys however have utterly fucked it by sending my controller in what was basically a sandwich bag. :angry:

105032765_10222649100959925_4051174842047948420_o.jpg

106031934_10222649101119929_8323078305806421858_o.jpg

104968236_10222649101719944_1799837273188993589_o.jpg

• Empathy 4

2 hours ago, Number 28 said:

I might try this. I'm really sensitive to motion sickness, and this game requires you to constantly spin the camera around in tight confines whilst exploring and looking for items. Add to that the flashlight narrowing things further and I'm not doing too well. *green emoji*

There’s a whole section for motion sickness, including persistent centre dot and removing dolly zoom!

10 minutes ago, Moz said:

dolly zoom

Naughty Dog, you savages - its proper name is contrazoom. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Yup, I just discovered that. It's hard to tell if any of it will help, I'll just have to tinker. I tried setting the camera to be as far away from the character as possible but the difference is negligible.

Damn, this section is brilliant...I think I'm still day 2

Spoiler

Coming up on the Scars/Seraphites and using stealth against them. Arrows, trip mines and a fully upgraded bolt-action rifle with scope. Now I have what looks like a fucking pick axe as my melee weapon. I can't wait to stove a head or two with that.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow auto pick up, amazing, wish it had been the default.

2 hours ago, Moz said:

I’d like the items to be more visible without using the low contrast filters. Maybe if they flashed a bit more or something. My eyes are too old!

Random tip: increasing the camera distance and FOV to max gives you greater ability to see around you and see more of the character model. Recommend everyone try it, that’s how I’m playing. 

Bumping both those slides to 5 makes massive difference - cheers

Is it worth diving into the difficulty sliders? I am not sure I want to tinker, I would rather experience it how the dev wanted at the standard difficulty level

I’d recommend playing on hard, it’s a little bit easy on normal. Reviewers and people in this thread also noted the same thing. 

11 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Bumping both those slides to 5 makes massive difference - cheers

Cool I much prefer it. I did the same thing in FF7R and it solved a lot of problems. Console FOV is always way too tight for me. 

I’m totally going to play on normal. Complete wimp when it comes to this kind of game. Although if it’s as good as you’re all saying maybe I’ll try a second play on hard. 

I’m playing on Normal and I find it challenging enough for my first play through, balancing that with story pacing. 

Will absolutely be playing through it again on a tougher difficulty. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Ok I’ll bite. It takes a little while to launch but in game there is no loading at all it’s seamless, and even when you die it drops you back in the game in like 10 seconds or less - so unless you’re quitting and reloading a lot for some reason I can’t see how it’s even worth mentioning. 

Which gameplay mechanics are dated? 

Best way to describe it is the experience is incredibly linear but not streamlined. Like you go into a room and the character will say something like

Spoiler

“Oooh, there must be a generator around here.” Then you turn the corner and low and behold, there is a generator. Then you can turn it on. But instead of just turning it on, you have to play some stupid one off tap the x button 3 times qte to get it going. In this example it wasn’t particularly fun to find the generator because I knew it was going to be there and it also wasn’t fun to turn it on. Pressing a button three times instead of once is just a hassle. QTEs should have died with shenmue. 

The game of full of moments like that. I remember during the intro I had to press a button to get past a horse because the game said press x.  Press a button to hand something to someone because the game said press x. Push in a few directions to play a chord or two on a guitar halfway through a 10 minute cut scene. I try and lift a toppled drawer but I can’t so I have to call for my mate to help and then I have to long press a button rather than tap or simply not press because of reasons. I have to press a button once to open a drawer which is beautifully detailed but which has a big ass triangle above it so I know I can interact, yet I have to press a second time to take the contents in the drawer. Why not just once? I can’t explore a room without my mate constantly saying ‘look over here’ or ‘how can we get out’??? I have to constantly hold forward during what are effectively cut scenes where I’m following someone. And it’s not like I can avoid doing that or the game simply stops dead. I have to occasionally press a button to jump when I’m on my horse because there is a log in the middle of a road everyone uses all the time. Ocarina of time got rid of that 20+ years ago because horses aren’t stupid and won’t just run into things. 

I shouldn’t have to put up with that stuff in 2020. It’s archaic. It’s shouldn’t be in there because it’s shit, inefficient and it would fail QA testing in any application other than video games. But instead, once again, they think make you briefly interaction via a little bit of busywork is rewarding. 

Personally I find it a constant hassle and I get fucked off with it.

• Empathy 1

On 21/06/2020 at 14:36, Thor said:

Will people please prefix their spoilers with the day they are on. 

I didn't know the game was divided into days. thanks for the spoiler lechuck. :angry:

• Empathy 2

on day zero.

Spoiler

the scene of ellie looking through joel's house hit me real hard as I remembered having to clear our my dad's stuff when he passed away. I appreciated how carefully that was done. clearly someone with some experience with grief. I have not played since but will jump back in probably tonight. 

• Empathy 4

20 minutes ago, Oz said:

I didn't know the game was divided into days. thanks for the spoiler lechuck. :angry:

SafeScratchyGenet-size_restricted.gif

32 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Best way to describe it is the experience is incredibly linear but not streamlined. Like you go into a room and the character will say something like

Hide contents

“Oooh, there must be a generator around here.” Then you turn the corner and low and behold, there is a generator. Then you can turn it on. But instead of just turning it on, you have to play some stupid one off tap the x button 3 times qte to get it going. In this example it wasn’t particularly fun to find the generator because I knew it was going to be there and it also wasn’t fun to turn it on. Pressing a button three times instead of once is just a hassle. QTEs should have died with shenmue. 

The game of full of moments like that. I remember during the intro I had to press a button to get past a horse because the game said press x.  Press a button to hand something to someone because the game said press x. Push in a few directions to play a chord or two on a guitar halfway through a 10 minute cut scene. I try and lift a toppled drawer but I can’t so I have to call for my mate to help and then I have to long press a button rather than tap or simply not press because of reasons. I have to press a button once to open a drawer which is beautifully detailed but which has a big ass triangle above it so I know I can interact, yet I have to press a second time to take the contents in the drawer. Why not just once? I can’t explore a room without my mate constantly saying ‘look over here’ or ‘how can we get out’??? I have to constantly hold forward during what are effectively cut scenes where I’m following someone. And it’s not like I can avoid doing that or the game simply stops dead. I have to occasionally press a button to jump when I’m on my horse because there is a log in the middle of a road everyone uses all the time. Ocarina of time got rid of that 20+ years ago because horses aren’t stupid and won’t just run into things. 

I shouldn’t have to put up with that stuff in 2020. It’s archaic. It’s shouldn’t be in there because it’s shit, inefficient and it would fail QA testing in any application other than video games. But instead, once again, they think make you briefly interaction via a little bit of busywork is rewarding. 

Personally I find it a constant hassle and I get fucked off with it.

Is there a reason you’ve spoilered that when there are no spoilers I can see?

Anyway, there are quite a few options with which you can tailor the game more to your liking (auto pickup loot for example, get rid of clues, etc.) but other than that I’m not really sure what it is you find so annoying about a game which is, essentially, a walking simulator. It’s all about the story, like the first game. I mean is jumping on your horse really that frustrating? I think it’s probably also there, along with ‘X’ to push through cracks etc, in order for you to commit to the move and to stop you doing it by accident, perhaps even to manage data streaming, but I’m no technical expert so I’m just guessing there. 

There are a few environmental puzzles but I think they’re much better realised and less intrusive than they were back in 2013, most are much more organically integrated into the general exploring, or can be ignored altogether sometimes. 

I mean, I dunno, I just flat out disagree with you, everything about the controls, physics, AI, movement, animation etc. is a fair leap from the last game and IMO the core stealth combat gameplay is best in its class - I can’t think of any game that does it better tbh. 

I mean yeah, ok, pressing jump on your horse might be annoying, I suppose, but when you combine everything else on offer it’s kind of like a tiny pinprick in a huge canvas. 

Oh, and the guitar is fully playable btw, it’s actually really cool. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

on day zero.

Reveal hidden contents

the scene of ellie looking through joel's house hit me real hard as I remembered having to clear our my dad's stuff when he passed away. I appreciated how carefully that was done. clearly someone with some experience with grief. I have not played since but will jump back in probably tonight. 

I felt the same and brought back my own memories of it. This game has such a soul.

• Upvote 1

I think incredibly linear is a weird way of describing this game. Sure, you essentially move from A to B, but the environments are pretty open, with lots of optional stuff to explore. Same with the combat, which always offers enough play space to come up with different tactics, make a run for it etc. I believe they call it wide linear and I really like that approach, because it still allows for exploration and improvisation, but it never becomes aimless or bloated, which often happens in open world games.

• Upvote 1

I’d enjoy this more if there was no combat sections. I care less for em than I did in the original.

Wow. Not questioning how you feel about it, but that's a genuinely amazing perspective to me. The combat feels incredible, to my tastes. I was just thinking about how there are about half a dozen scenarios so far that feel like some of the best combat set pieces I can remember from any game. I've just had three very different encounters in about an hour and each one almost felt like a different kind of game, with influences from survival horror, MGSV stealth and full on guerrilla warfare. It's quite a bit more combat heavy than I expected but I haven't played anything so exhilarating in a long long time. 

• Upvote 7