rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

Now that multiple people are getting a decent way in, probably worth moving this to here as there's loads to discuss.

Best things:

The realistic zips jiggling around on Ellie's schoolbag.

Shooting some cunt in the face and his mate's being all like 'Alan!! noooo!' and I'm all like 'lol fuck you Alan'

• Upvote 8

Was up to 1.30 last night, just keeps getting better and better. The story beats felt deserved and earned. Not finished yet

So I'm someone that really liked The Last of Us, but have always felt the Sony first party "walk around as story plays out" took away from it a little. And with this I was feeling exactly the same after the first two hours. There's just something about the way they tell their stories that makes me feel more like I'm an actor in a play than a real character in an apocalyptic world. Everything's so beautifully designed but it still kind of felt like I was just being funnelled along a path, and everyone was waiting for me to hit my mark and say my line so that the story could continue. 

Then I hit day 1 and everything started to open up a bit more and this is slowly turning into something very special indeed. They've managed to take a lot of the environmental style puzzles from the Uncharted games and make them feel a lot less "find the right bit to climb up in the video game world", even if that's exactly what you're doing. And the combat, in a really weird way, reminds me of the original Battlefield: Bad Company. You're given these really big feeling sandboxes filled with well placed, intelligent enough, enemies and are basically told "have a go at this, then." There's very little freedom in the game's A > B, even if they have made it feel a bit more like there is, but in the combat you're completely free to engage enemies in any way you want and that's so exciting given how much of the game I know there is to come. Earlier on I had a moment in which I could have snuck around taking every guard and infected out one by one, and that would have been a fun, valid, tense experience. Instead though I snuck up next to one of the clickers and fired my gun in the air, before leading them on a 28 Days Later style chase outside where, after a few shots were fired at/in me, I hid and watched the carnage ensue through my rifle scope. It was a brilliant, thrilling moment that felt truly mine, despite the fact everyone on here will have had similar experiences. 

The game still devolves every so often into that actorly feel, but the story is really really good, the characters are well drawn and I'm having a nice time getting to know them. I think anyone suggesting it does anything new for storytelling in video games should go and play Outer Wilds, but for what this is, essentially hours and hours of walking around as exposition is barked at you, it's clearly best in class. And with that combat system there's a really nice blend between the big HBO story they're telling, and the much smaller stories that I get to tell when they crop up via the emergent combat systems. 

Basically I came in with a little bit of a debaser style chip on my shoulder, but rather than sit with a stopwatch as the game loads thinking "this'll get 'em!" I'm definitely being turned around to its charms. It's good. It's the good game. People should play the good game. 

• Upvote 2

Anyone notice that occasionally you’ll hear a cricket (or some other insect) in slightly unusual places? I’ve found one in a sewer area, another one in a parking lot, another one in another underground area . It’s probably nothing (maybe a sound attached to an item of debris) but they’re conspicuously always jammed in out-of-the-way corners. My Easter egg senses are tingling. 

22 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

They've managed to take a lot of the environmental style puzzles from the Uncharted games and make them feel a lot less "find the right bit to climb up in the video game world", even if that's exactly what you're doing.

It's quite impressive, because the environmental puzzles can only ever be three or four moves long (and often, 1, break glass to continue), but that's still a huge improvement over repeating the same "move this box, climb on this box" with no variations for the whole game's length.

There's something wrong with me but I have to smash every single pane of glass because it's so satisfying and substantial. It sounds like the heaviest, smashiest glass ever. 

*CLANNNSSHHH*

My son is off ill today (Year 6). My wife has allowed him to use the X1X which is in the sitting room so she can 'keep an eye on him'. The same TV that my PS4 Pro is hooked up to. I don't want to move it elsewhere in the house because I have a decent set up in the sitting room. 

I'm resentful of my ill son. That's how great this game is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

We’ve had a fucking bastard of a winter this year, all I dreamt of was sunny summer days. Fuck this midnight sun blaring through my livingroom windows ruining my nightime gaming.:mad:

• Upvote 3

The explosive traps are so brutally effective, the way they actually look like a bomb obliterating the bodies is absolutely amazing. Last night I booby trapped a door for a bunch of infected inside a building, a single pistol shot was enough to encourage them outside straight into the trap so I could enjoy the view from a safe distance, the way it tore them apart when the first one staggered into the trap was so gnarly and real, then lobbing molotovs into the writhing mess that was left alive with their legs blown away, trying to drag themselves away from the carnage by their hands, just insane.

The way you can trigger fights between humans and infected reminds me of Halo and sitting back and watching the Covenant and Flood tearing each other apart. I like sitting just out of sight and throwing in the occasional molotov just to keep things spicy, then picking my way through the corpses collecting their ammo and weapons. Naughty boy bringing a machete to a gunfight, I'll be having that, thank you.

I love how messy and heavy the combat feels, it's tiring and draining, just like it should be.

• Upvote 6

What difficulty sliders are people using? I've gone for normal on perception, hard enemies, hard Ellie, I had gone for hard on scavenging but I found it wasn't giving me any ammo from dead lads, which was stopping me playing around/experimenting in combat. 

Ah, so there's difficulty sliders for perception? Is that your perception (listening mode), or enemy perception? I've not really had a tinker, I just selected hard at the start. I mentioned a few pages ago that I upgraded my listening mode and nothing seemed to change, difficulty settings could be why. Do the enemies look more defined through walls on normal? Hard sticks everything on hard, presumably? (I'll have a look :unsure:)

Oh sorry it's enemy perception, or something like that. To do with how quickly they spot you in stealth I guess?

31 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The explosive traps are so brutally effective, the way they actually look like a bomb obliterating the bodies is absolutely amazing. Last night I booby trapped a door for a bunch of infected inside a building, a single pistol shot was enough to encourage them outside straight into the trap so I could enjoy the view from a safe distance, the way it tore them apart when the first one staggered into the trap was so gnarly and real, then lobbing molotovs into the writhing mess that was left alive with their legs blown away, trying to drag themselves away from the carnage by their hands, just insane.

The way you can trigger fights between humans and infected reminds me of Halo and sitting back and watching the Covenant and Flood tearing each other apart. I like sitting just out of sight and throwing in the occasional molotov just to keep things spicy, then picking my way through the corpses collecting their ammo and weapons. Naughty boy bringing a machete to a gunfight, I'll be having that, thank you.

I love how messy and heavy the combat feels, it's tiring and draining, just like it should be.

Yeah there was a particular section I loved with the humans and infected fighting. 

Spoiler

The tunnels.The red light, synth soundtrack, pure carnage with the militia being literally torn apart, zombies on fire - fucking jaw dropping and one of the best sequences in a game I’ve ever played. 

And the best thing is I died a few times there, almost deliberately, so I could try different things, and it does play out differently each time. It’s just, sublime. And there are many other encounters which are just as impressive. God I love it. 

Anyone use smoke bombs much? Was wondering how to use them effectively. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah there was a particular section I loved with the humans and infected fighting. 

Reveal hidden contents

The tunnels.The red light, synth soundtrack, pure carnage with the militia being literally torn apart, zombies on fire - fucking jaw dropping and one of the best sequences in a game I’ve ever played. 

And the best thing is I died a few times there, almost deliberately, so I could try different things, and it does play out differently each time. It’s just, sublime. And there are many other encounters which are just as impressive. God I love it. 

Anyone use smoke bombs much? Was wondering how to use them effectively. 

I do, when I'm out of other things to throw. :)
Sometimes I want or need to save ammo and they're free kills basically. I tend to use molotovs more on infected and smoke bombs on humans.

Do smoke bombs kill then? I use molotovs all the time, and trap bombs :ph34r:

Just now, Stanley said:

Do smoke bombs kill then? I use molotovs all the time, and trap bombs :ph34r:

No, they stun. Basically like bricks and bottles, but you can use them on groups. I don't always have molotovs and when enemies are approaching me and I don't really have the space to run, I tend to throw smoke bombs and then rush in.

• Upvote 1

Late-ish spoiler

Abby having vertigo is a terrific tactic in humanising her character. Very smart stuff

Again I’m wondering what skillup and his bros were smoking when they played this. “No environmental puzzles?” Some areas have multiples of them in quick succession, often optional, especially if you explore the areas properly. The most vital tip is to remember Ellie can jump and prone now. It should change how you view the environment versus the first, look for suspicious prone-height gaps to squeeze under or gaps between ledges that seem traversable. Or landmarks and features that don’t seem to serve an obvious purpose, there’s often a path and some goodies. 

1 hour ago, Number 28 said:

Ah, so there's difficulty sliders for perception? Is that your perception (listening mode), or enemy perception? I've not really had a tinker, I just selected hard at the start. I mentioned a few pages ago that I upgraded my listening mode and nothing seemed to change, difficulty settings could be why. Do the enemies look more defined through walls on normal? Hard sticks everything on hard, presumably? (I'll have a look :unsure:)

It’s both. You can have a visual perception meter and alerts on screen, and control how well/quickly enemies are able to spot you and how quickly they call for help. You can make yourself invisible while prone if you like. You can even put the difficulty of the enemies up to the hardest to make them really aggressive in flanking etc, and then reduce their perception. 

Few nitpicks; 

I’d like to see an auto collect item and disable film grain in game - you can do it in photo mode, but not in the main game; it’s not as bad in light scenes, but I think it would look better with it removed.

i have seen a few reused assets - the same white board appeared with the same management brain storming notes in two different locations. I’ve also had a few bugs, such as not being able to go back to the game from viewing a trading card (O button unresponsive) and my gun got stuck in the wall, whilst flicking really fast. 

Great game though!

• Upvote 1

I’d like the items to be more visible without using the low contrast filters. Maybe if they flashed a bit more or something. My eyes are too old!

Random tip: increasing the camera distance and FOV to max gives you greater ability to see around you and see more of the character model. Recommend everyone try it, that’s how I’m playing. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Crowley said:

We’ve had a fucking bastard of a winter this year, all I dreamt of was sunny summer days. Fuck this midnight sun blaring through my livingroom windows ruining my nightime gaming.:mad:

I ended up destroying my curtain rail fixing by trying to hang a thick blanket over my existing curtains on saturday morning, I am now waiting a delivery from toolstation for some pads I can apparently wrap round some rawlplugs to plug the now large holes so i can fix the curtain rail, I have also ordered some light blocking curtains from ikea. I feel your pain dude!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Moz said:

Random tip: increasing the camera distance and FOV to max gives you greater ability to see around you and see more of the character model. Recommend everyone try it, that’s how I’m playing. 

I might try this. I'm really sensitive to motion sickness, and this game requires you to constantly spin the camera around in tight confines whilst exploring and looking for items. Add to that the flashlight narrowing things further and I'm not doing too well. *green emoji*

My DS4 has developed upward analogue drift and it's causing me to lurch forward comically in stealth sections. It really adds to the tension when you're trying to flank an infected and battle with a faulty controller.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

No, they stun. Basically like bricks and bottles, but you can use them on groups. I don't always have molotovs and when enemies are approaching me and I don't really have the space to run, I tend to throw smoke bombs and then rush in.

I see, I try using them to stealth through sections but I’ve fucked it up a couple of times.