rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

There's extensive audio options in the menus to bump the dialogue if you want.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, pledge said:

There's extensive options for EVERYTHING. The sort of stuff you usually have as a debug feature, all exposed to the user to let them round off any egregious corner that is rubbing on their play experience. It's beautiful. I suspect I could tune this precisely for how distracted and sleep deprived I am.

New Game+ options spoiler

Spoiler

You can even make your own difficulty setting.

30 minutes ago, pledge said:

The dialogue of the main characters is loud and clear, though, just not from NPCs. That’s the issue. 

57 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone else twig the number on the hotel room door in day 1?

Reveal hidden contents

217 :ph34r:

Is that a reference to

The Shining?

Do you only get one chance to collect the crafting manuals? I'm completely bored of of the looking through drawers simulation already and think I've missed a couple of manuals.

4 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Is that a reference to

Reveal hidden contents

The Shining?

yes, though it's just the book, they changed it in the movie

I'm going to post my thoughts of the game tomorrow. I need time to digest everything so far lol.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Do you only get one chance to collect the crafting manuals? I'm completely bored of of the looking through drawers simulation already and think I've missed a couple of manuals.

Nah, I think the manuals are in parts you can't miss.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

I definitely missed one in day 1. Having to scavenge for items, so that you can scavenge for items to craft, is that the meta of this game?

So many things wrong with this game. 

Spoiler

From the interminable first hour of holding forward and pressing x occasionally in cut scenes, it’s now degenerated into a follow the leader scavenging and crafting sim with a useless NPC who keep on asking how to get in and out of rooms. To break up this tedium in the first couple of hours, the developers included this incredibly shit bit where you get caught in a snow storm on your horse. The devs kindly decided that you shouldn’t be able to use the gallop button until you find your annoying NPC, further adding to the frustration. They also added a shit look through the binoculars until you find what I want you to look at bit. Also every 5 minutes it’s making me do a long triangle press to move a fucking cabinet or shift something else. It’s ticking every box of shit game design so far. Now I’ve reached another place where I have to clear the room, check drawers and find the exit. Finally I believe my character is meant to be 18 but she sounds like a 50 year old woman with a 40 a day habit. Very weird casting.

• Empathy 7

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Reveal hidden contents

From the interminable first hour of holding forward and pressing x occasionally in cut scenes, it’s now degenerated into a follow the leader scavenging and crafting sim with a useless NCP who keep on asking how to get in and out of rooms. To break up this tedium in the first couple of hours, the developers included this incredibly shit bit where you get caught in a snow storm on your horse. The devs kindly decided that you shouldn’t be able to use the gallop button until you find your annoying NCP, further adding to the frustration. They also added a shit look through the binoculars until you find what I want you to look at bit. Also every 5 minutes it’s making me do a long triangle press to move a fucking cabinet or shift something else. It’s ticking every box of shit game design so far. Now I’ve reached another place where I have to clear the room, check drawers and find the exit. Finally I believe my character is meant to be 18 but she sounds like a 50 year old woman with a 40 a day habit. Very weird casting.

You could always stop playing it if you hate it that much. :coffee:

The manuals are only in specific places. Often more hidden areas or safes.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy exploring and scavenging more than enemy encounters in this. There's so much detail in the locations, I just have to see inside and look at everything.

• Upvote 6

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Really? I found one and it seemed to be in a place you could just walk past if you weren't looking.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

@the_debaser Ellie is played by the same actress as the first game, you twonk! ;)

Don’t care, she sounds too old. 

Also, to add insult to injury, I just checked and from turning on a base PS4 to getting control of your character, it takes a whopping 2 mins 39 seconds. 

• Empathy 6

Just now, the_debaser said:

Also, to add insult to injury, I just checked and from turning on a base PS4 to getting control of your character, it takes a whopping 2 mins 39 seconds. 

:lol: 

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

It probably isn’t the intended reaction but I laughed when a dog walked over my proximity bomb.

I hope they serve beer in hell.

I laughed when I accidentally jumped off the side of the school. THUD. Like, that's it, roll credits. It reminds me of doing bone crunching high dives in the original Tomb Raider, just for lols.

22 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Reveal hidden contents

From the interminable first hour of holding forward and pressing x occasionally in cut scenes, it’s now degenerated into a follow the leader scavenging and crafting sim with a useless NPC who keep on asking how to get in and out of rooms. To break up this tedium in the first couple of hours, the developers included this incredibly shit bit where you get caught in a snow storm on your horse. The devs kindly decided that you shouldn’t be able to use the gallop button until you find your annoying NPC, further adding to the frustration. They also added a shit look through the binoculars until you find what I want you to look at bit. Also every 5 minutes it’s making me do a long triangle press to move a fucking cabinet or shift something else. It’s ticking every box of shit game design so far. Now I’ve reached another place where I have to clear the room, check drawers and find the exit. Finally I believe my character is meant to be 18 but she sounds like a 50 year old woman with a 40 a day habit. Very weird casting.

Such a shame as you sounded so positive about it beforehand. 

17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Don’t care, she sounds too old. 

You should play the opening to Far Cry 5, or Okami.

I can't imagine why anyone would buy this if they didn't like the first game. It's great but it's an almost identical overall experience to the first game - different story and better graphics obviously and some incremental improvements and refinements to the combat, movement and stealth, some more expansive level design, but there's honestly nothing here for you if you just didn't like the first. Why waste your time and money on it?

• Upvote 1

I think I’m into the second half.

Spoiler

If they think I’m going to emphasise or even like playing a roided up woman who brutally killed a main character and who is avenging a father who was up for cutting a brain out of another lead character;  Druckmann hopefully is going to be the best storyteller ever. 

I know that the acoustic soundtrack is very similar to the first game but there's also some heart-rending ambient drone stuff going on here which is tearing me apart. I've just played through a section that is one of the greatest things I've ever experienced in a game and that music will stay with me for a long time. 

Remember when debaser flounced off the forum for months over a lemon drizzle cake. Good times.

Usually, when I’m trying to clear an area, I get one or two stealth kills before someone spots me and it all falls to shit. Running away until I’m backed backed into a corner and defending a choke point. Hoping to kill all the attackers before they kill me. It’s usually 50/50. 

Just had my first prolonged section where I went fucking RAMBO. Traps, silent kills, headshots from cover (and ooft! The upgraded on shot power really makes a mess of heads). It was glorious.

The land mines are my favourite thing in this. Especially if you can “lay” a scent trail on purpose and hide one along it. 

27 minutes ago, macosx said:

I think I’m into the second half.

Reveal hidden contents

If they think I’m going to emphasise or even like playing a roided up woman who brutally killed a main character and who is avenging a father who was up for cutting a brain out of another lead character;  Druckmann hopefully is going to be the best storyteller ever. 

Will people please prefix their spoilers with the day they are on. 

• Upvote 1