The Last of Us Part 2

I think I’m into the second half.

Spoiler

If they think I’m going to emphasise or even like playing a roided up woman who brutally killed a main character and who is avenging a father who was up for cutting a brain out of another lead character;  Druckmann hopefully is going to be the best storyteller ever. 

I know that the acoustic soundtrack is very similar to the first game but there's also some heart-rending ambient drone stuff going on here which is tearing me apart. I've just played through a section that is one of the greatest things I've ever experienced in a game and that music will stay with me for a long time. 

Usually, when I’m trying to clear an area, I get one or two stealth kills before someone spots me and it all falls to shit. Running away until I’m backed backed into a corner and defending a choke point. Hoping to kill all the attackers before they kill me. It’s usually 50/50. 

Just had my first prolonged section where I went fucking RAMBO. Traps, silent kills, headshots from cover (and ooft! The upgraded on shot power really makes a mess of heads). It was glorious.

The land mines are my favourite thing in this. Especially if you can “lay” a scent trail on purpose and hide one along it. 

27 minutes ago, macosx said:

Reveal hidden contents

If they think I’m going to emphasise or even like playing a roided up woman who brutally killed a main character and who is avenging a father who was up for cutting a brain out of another lead character;  Druckmann hopefully is going to be the best storyteller ever. 

Will people please prefix their spoilers with the day they are on. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I’m in the backend of the game now and I really would advise staying away from ALL spoilers irrespective of how they’re tagged until you’ve finished it.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

It’s not split into days. If you are that sensitive just don’t read spoilers.

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, macosx said:

Reveal hidden contents

He is close. ;)

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Thor said:

You can't after a certain point in the game. If people haven't listed the day don't risk looking.

Just now, Flub said:

You can't after a certain point in the game. If people haven't listed the day don't risk looking.

Ah, okay, that's fair enough. I'll just avoid clicking. 

Spoiler

Pun totally intended. ;)

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Hasn't them doing a space IP been rumoured for a while?

I can see it being something like Sunshine (Danny Boyle).

Funnily enough, there was a poster or book in one of the shops (can’t remember which) that said something along the lines of ‘What’s next? Space’ or something like that. I wondered at the time if it was a clue to their next game.

11 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Funnily enough, there was a poster or book in one of the shops (can’t remember which) that said something along the lines of ‘What’s next? Space’ or something like that. I wondered at the time if it was a clue to their next game.

According to Druckmann, they haven't decided on their next project yet. But I wouldn't mind it if Savage Starlight is turned into a real game.

Just got to the bit where

Ellie snuck up out of the water, on the girl playing PS Vita. She was playing Hotline Miami! Wicked memorable music track and an awesome touch

3 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I just scoped a guy in the head through some dirty car windows. A nice trick.

I did that last night. I thought "I wonder if..." *BOOM* "...ooh, I can!!"

Yeah, I thought collision detection might trip me up, but no.

It's amazing how I got to this point (start of day 2) last night and I was being handed my arse, but I come back to it today and I've headshotted them all in quick succession like Matt Damon.

Btw, did anyone unlock the skill (not sure exactly when you can access this, but probs late day 1)

Spoiler

LISTEN MODE CLARITY

and feel a bit disappointed? It doesn't seem to have made any difference. I thought it might make enemies appear through the walls as they did in the first game, which made things a lot easier than the white smudge you get here...

Is this game as amazing everyone says it is. 

I hear masterpiece being thrown around like candy, and this is someone who love the first game but is it that good?.

Need to finish FF7 still despite wanting to buy and play it now.

Well, this is rather good isn't it?

Seemed a little underwhelming for the first hour or two but towards the end of the prologue and now into Day One it has really ramped up in almost every way - graphically, gameplay variety, and, of course, the all important 'feels'. The smallish quality of life improvements over the original's handling have made a huge difference - Ellie is so much more fluid to control than either her or Joel were previously and the mechanics do seem a lot more user friendly and enjoyable than than previous story first, gameplay a long way distant, approach of ND. That said, I'm finding it to be overly easy on Normal (so far) so am wondering whether to move up to a harder difficulty or maybe save that for a later play-through.

One thing has really bugged me though, and the original was guilty of this places too, I have just accidentally pushed through an invisible story barrier before completing my exploration of an area (a hotel). After jumping off a balcony I ran round to where I had entered the compound only to discover that the huge waste bin that we had used to access the building has mysteriously disappeared along with my chances to fully search the hotel. It is gnawing away at me now that I may have missed something really useful. There seems no reason for disallowing access to the area either so it's leaving a bad taste.

Aside from that aggravation, I am enjoying this at least as much as I did the original and it is certainly turning out to be a late generation highlight. My affection for the original was unusual given that it is the story that makes the game and I am typically someone who loathes exposition heavy games and will always skip cinematics  if given the chance (aside from the short and sparse From style ones). I guess that says an awful lot about ND's story telling and, most importantly, their ability to create characters for whom I have genuine affection for, engagement with, and empathy for. TLOU is unusually good in that respect. I guess the other attraction is that the world  is so convincing and so believable that is is all encompassing. Same as the extraordinary world of RDR2 (another genre that I hate (open world)) but a game which I absolutely loved thanks to it's unrivalled recreation of, and immersion within, an environment. All the tiny environmental cues in both games make them a joy to wander around even if both are less than perfect in terms of gameplay mechanisms (RDR2 not being anywhere near as bad as some hombres claim though).

Reading that back, it's a little odd that two of my favourite (non Soulsborne or Nintendo obvs) games of their generations are from genres that I normally have zero time for. 

Anyways, I am now going to sit in the sun for a bit and fret about what I may have missed in that hotel.

I know this sounds bad but the sound of beating a dog with a wrench is peak audio.

The first time I heard it, I actually fucking winced. It made me laugh nervously it was so horrible. 

31 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Is this game as amazing everyone says it is. 

I hear masterpiece being thrown around like candy, and this is someone who love the first game but is it that good?.

Need to finish FF7 still despite wanting to buy and play it now.

I mean...have you just not bothered reading the thread at all?

• Upvote 1

The story isn’t really doing it for me so far, and as well presented and voice acted as everything concerning the main narrative is, at times it’s just a bit too much of a Very Important, Super Tasteful And Extremely Serious Depiction Of Relationships In A Post-Apocalyptic World. But it’s easy to just wallow in the insane production values, world building and overall level of polish alone. 

One thing I would like to see added in the customization options is a way to change the opacity of the static ammo counter in the lower right corner of the screen. I’m playing on a plasma screen and although you don’t have a HUD for long stretches of the game, that stuff causes image retention easily. 

46 minutes ago, Mike S said:

One thing has really bugged me though, and the original was guilty of this places too, I have just accidentally pushed through an invisible story barrier before completing my exploration of an area (a hotel). After jumping off a balcony I ran round to where I had entered the compound only to discover that the huge waste bin that we had used to access the building has mysteriously disappeared along with my chances to fully search the hotel. It is gnawing away at me now that I may have missed something really useful. There seems no reason for disallowing access to the area either so it's leaving a bad taste.

This irritated me, too. I'm sure there was a window you could smash through to explore the rooftop on the other side, but I'd assumed that was the way to go to progress the story, then I ended up missing out. Why they then had to get rid of the bin so you couldn't go back in, I'm not sure. Something to explore when I go back for a survivor play through, I suppose.

Is the darkness outside of your flashlight beam a lot more impenetrable compared with the first game?

I had a great moment earlier where two infected runners were sprinting towards me & - in a moment of rare calmness - I headshotted them nonchalantly. 

doesn't sound much but it felt great when compared with my usual shitty-pants-combat-style. 

43 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I know this sounds bad but the sound of beating a dog with a wrench is peak audio.

The first time I heard it, I actually fucking winced. It made me laugh nervously it was so horrible. 

The audio is indeed fantastic. I shat a brick on day 1 when they

Spoiler

blow up your horse.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

This irritated me, too. I'm sure there was a window you could smash through to explore the rooftop on the other side, but I'd assumed that was the way to go to progress the story, then I ended up missing out. Why they then had to get rid of the bin so you couldn't go back in, I'm not sure. Something to explore when I go back for a survivor play through, I suppose.

Glad it's not just me!

I try to be pretty thorough in my searching of an area so it was random chance that I opened the story trigger room before exploring the other rooms and, obviously, as I had no idea the jump was a one way trip it eas immensely annoying. It was a pointless, and needlessly antagonising, gameplay decision to block a return to the building..

Grrr.

I'm in the sun calming down with a nice beer now though. I think I've moved on but will see when I fire up the game next...

When do you unlock the "Go free Rover!" skill that lets you kill the dog owners, pat them on the head and send them on their merry way? :(

If the game suddenly gives me a dog companion that can chew the legs off runners, it'll be an instant classic.