rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

3 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

The key is in

Reveal hidden contents

the diner on the corner, north of the courthouse.

You'll want what's in there. Pretty sure you can still do it after the ch, tho.

Completely missed that area! Obviously I wasn't as thorough as I thought.

19 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Completely missed that area! Obviously I wasn't as thorough as I thought.

Spoiler

Something you pick up adds a ? on your map, so if you missed that... Now I'm wondering if I got everything in that area.

Edit: Sheeit, no idea what to put in spoilers anymore, so I'll just do everything. :D(Day 1 btw)

14 minutes ago, Number 28 said:
  Hide contents

Something you pick up adds a ? on your map, so if you missed that... Now I'm wondering if I got everything in that area.

Edit: Sheeit, no idea what to put in spoilers anymore, so I'll just do everything. :D

Found it!

After finding everything in the area

Spoiler

I got a trophy called 'Sightseer', so if you've got that as well then you found it all.

Off to bed now but the four hours I've spent with this so far have been entirely compelling. The acting and writing really are second to none. It looks amazing and I'm completely intrigued to find out what's going to happen.

If I had one quibble it's that, up until this point, things have been quite easy, even playing on hard mode, but then I did recently complete the first game, so I've had some practice. A small but important difference between this and 1 is the fact that you can sneak kill Clickers now, which reduces their threat somewhat, although I've got a feeling the game's going to have some tougher encounters in store...

Anyway, proper loving it so far. Well worth the day 1 purchase :)

10 1/2 hours in.

Just awestruck by the whole experience. Not finding the violence to be too much but I don't know what that says about me as a person...?

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

After finding everything in the area

Hide contents

I got a trophy called 'Sightseer', so if you've got that as well then you found it all.

Well darn...

Agreed on the clickers. The original's shiv management was kinda good? Not sure why they had to totally junk it...presumably because Ellie has to have her ICONIC switchblade. I'm also playing on hard and I've not used a single health pack.

• Upvote 1

I spent most of my scrap upgrading my rifle-barrel to deal 25% more damage. The results are pretty gruesome.:o 

The gameplay in this is just exquisite, each combat encounter is just so exciting and compelling - I love how the areas open up to become more open and complex as they pour more & more ingredients into the soup. Everything just feels like a step up from the first game - so many ways around things and for scenarios to play out. 

Lots of people love the stories but the actual game is brilliant - not since Half-Life 2, Halo or Manhunt have I had this much fun. 

Using clickers on fire as weapons :twisted:

My finally copy finally tuned up today, hurray! Was delivered to the apartment above so had negotiate it's retrieval after wondering where it had got to but all good.

Too late to start this evening but it is all loaded and ready to go. Hopefully can get stuck in over the next few days. 

Don't think anyone answered before but have most started on normal or hard? I'm thinking hard after really enjoying my replay of the original on that.

Anyway, I look forward to coming back in here to sing praises and whatnot soon. :D

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Len said:

My finally copy finally tuned up today, hurray! Was delivered to the apartment above so had negotiate is retrieval after wondering where it had got to but all good.

Too late to start this evening but it is all loaded and ready to go. Hopefully can get stuck in over the next few days. 

Don't think anyone answered before but have most started on normal or hard? I'm thinking hard after really enjoying my replay of the original on that.

Anyway, I look forward to coming back in here to sing praises and whatnot soon. :D

100% start on hard, especially if you've played the first game already. I played for about 6 hours on normal and everything went down so easily I never felt even slightly punished by making obviously stupid mistakes. After about 7 hours on hard it just feels like most other game's normal setting.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

The gameplay in this is just exquisite, each combat encounter is just so exciting and compelling - I love how the areas open up to become more open and complex as they pour more & more ingredients into the soup. Everything just feels like a step up from the first game - so many ways around things and for scenarios to play out. 

Lots of people love the stories but the actual game is brilliant - not since Half-Life 2, Halo or Manhunt have I had this much fun. 

Using clickers on fire as weapons :twisted:

Yes. The actual gameplay is superb and deserves all the credit. Gifs are non-spoilery and include an enemy already seen in the State of Play, but still.

Spoiler

Great guitar sim too!

And a crazy bit of coding. Early day 1 spoilers.

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

^ That bit in the second spoiler, I was like...did that just happen how it appeared? The animations and physical transitions are unbelievable, so many things I've never seen before elsewhere. 

How can I look at a video game horse's eye and feel like it has a soul? 

I know that sounds utterly ridiculous and excessive but the eyes in this game are so full of life. 

I love the prone in this. I had a full on home invasion scenario earlier and it was like home alone on steroids. Hiding under a bed with a silenced pistol, shooting feet then faces as they drop to the floor. Sticking mines at the top of the stairs, jumping out the window and lying on the patio roof with a bow and arrow sticking fools. All going swimmingly well until they set the dogs on me. They are a game changer in terms of disrupting the typical stealth gameplay. 

Also the smoke that ejects from the Shotgun chamber when you pump it is 

HugeWarlikeBadger-size_restricted.gif

John Woo would be proud 

• Upvote 3

I love all those little details, like how Ellie cocks her pistol. Also ND properly school Rockstar in how you implement controls properly in a game like this, and UI. Switching between weapons with all the various upgrades and what have you is just :wub:

28 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

^ That bit in the second spoiler, I was like...did that just happen how it appeared? The animations and physical transitions are unbelievable, so many things I've never seen before elsewhere. 

Assuming you're talking about the second gif in the first spoiler tag, it's partly scripted which is why the physical transitions in the first part of that gif seem so perfect - if you come across that encounter (and if I remember correctly it's in an optional section during day 2) then you'll instantly know what I'm talking about because it's very memorable. The second half of that gif is all player agency though.

10 1/2 hours in now. Making my way through Day 2.

Hillcrest was intense. I'd made a decision not to hurt any doggos before starting but that when out the window very early!! Terrifying.

On my way to the hospital and found a safe house that could only be entered using a rope and strategic glass breakage.

Then I found another safe house with a workbench and I start upgrading my pistol only to be interrupted by a group returning back who took issue with me raiding their house. It didn't end well for them.

It's just, I can't, I mean, I never imagined that the sequel to my favourite game of all time would be this good. From a gameplay and systems perspective it is better than the first game. Technically it is refined beyond belief. It just remains to be seen if the story can carry it for the remainder of the run time and usurp the first game from top of my ranking.

• Upvote 1

Is there any way to get a different stealth kill animation? Even when I’m carrying a pipe or baseball bat, I always slit their throats. Possible to use another weapon for that? 

I thought it was pretty boring until I got past the synagogue, then it completely opened up into an amazing combat area, I triggered some standoffs between infected and humans and just watched the carnage. Limbs getting blown off, legless clickers dragging themselves around by their hands, total madness. 

1 hour ago, Majora said:

Assuming you're talking about the second gif in the first spoiler tag, it's partly scripted which is why the physical transitions in the first part of that gif seem so perfect - if you come across that encounter (and if I remember correctly it's in an optional section during day 2) then you'll instantly know what I'm talking about because it's very memorable. The second half of that gif is all player agency though.

it’s probably the rope in the second spoiler tag. I’m mentioning it because people really should have more of a play than I did - and it’s really a mechanic/simulation not a story spoiler.

its the kind of thing that looks simple, but when you see people really playing with it and throwing it around things and across itself:

- the physics is great

- the animation of the rope and Ellie is great.

the technical animator for Ellie in that part has posted in Twitter - there was about four of them working on it, and then a load of QA. Terrifying amount of resource.

• Upvote 1

They really ease you into the combat. First small buildings with a few infected. Then a couple of humans. Then more open environments. Some Scramblers. Then some dogs and before you know it, you jump through windows, sprint over rooftops, crawl through grass, hide under beds, place traps and desperately try to find a safe spot to bandage yourself while groups of humans and dogs hunt you, all in the same encounter. 

I'm super curious where ND goes next. Probably something more light-hearted, but I do hope they keep building on this type of encounter design because they're really good at it and it's much better balanced on higher difficulties than UC4 ever was. Though The Lost Legacy was already an improvement over that game and it makes me think Kurt Margenau, who co-directed both games, might actually be as important for ND as Druckmann is.

10 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

They really ease you into the combat. First small buildings with a few infected. Then a couple of humans. Then more open environments. Some Scramblers. Then some dogs and before you know it, you jump through windows, sprint over rooftops, crawl through grass, hide under beds, place traps and desperately try to find a safe spot to bandage yourself while groups of humans and dogs hunt you, all in the same encounter. 

I'm super curious where ND goes next. Probably something more light-hearted, but I do hope they keep building on this type of encounter design because they're really good at it and it's much better balanced on higher difficulties than UC4 ever was. Though The Lost Legacy was already an improvement over that game and it makes me think Kurt Margenau, who co-directed both games, might actually be as important for ND as Druckmann is.

In my dreams it is a new sci fi IP. A space saga with this kind of storytelling, graphics and gameplay. In space. From ND. :wub:

• Upvote 4

There are going to be little movement and combat tricks that I’m not going to realise are possible until a 2nd playthrough. There are just so many options.

Had this great moment where I was prone under a storage container or something and 3 human enemies were hunting me. I waited until one was far away, one was really close and I had a head shot lined up on another and then let battle commence. Shooting the guy nearest me in the leg so his face dropped down before putting a hole in it after I had head shotted his mate was fucking glorious. The last guy was easy pickings as he ran over screaming, confused and straight into my arms. I know its not the most sensible thing to do in a world so thin on ammunition, but I just pulled the trigger with the gun held to his temple. I felt nothing. No fear, no remorse, nothing. He was just another person in the way. Violent games are often criticised because it’s felt that the actions of the character are needless or without context. It says a lot about the game that if I was Ellie, in that world and situation... I’m not sure I would do anything different. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

In my dreams it is a new sci fi IP. A space saga with this kind of storytelling, graphics and gameplay. In space. From ND. :wub:

I'm with you. A ND space opera would be awesome. Aliens, incredible otherworldly fauna, crazy weapons and gadgets; I'd love it. I would love to see both them and From Software making a game set in space for different reasons.

• Upvote 1

Just finished is now with * hours showing on the save. I haven't watched the SkillUp video yet as I was worried about spoilers, but I can see what he might not like about the story and it not being about it being 'woke' or whatever. I can see some people not liking where this game goes. Personally I loved the whole experience and didn't want it to end, and it certainly had an emotional impact. I thought the gameplay was vastly improved over the first, and there's a lot of variation (and very few ladder puzzles). At first I thought graphically this was just a slight improvement over Uncharted 4, and there's times when that's "just" how it looks, but at many times it is just spectacular.

Purely length spoiler

Spoiler

23 hours. Moderate difficulty with reasonable but not extensive search for secrets. Didn't feel I rushed. 38% of the trophies.

SkillUp comment. Story spoilers.

Spoiler

The relationship between Ellie and Dina is certainly not the central plot, and there's not that much of it in the game. That they would "spoil" the entire game by including that was, as expected, total nonsense.

End spoiler

Spoiler

I thought the multiple characters and timelines was very well done. Some people are going to really resent the way ND make you have Ellie and Abby fight but for me it had the desired effect of torment that they both must have been feeling.

I think we probably need a plot discussion thread, as very soon this thread is going to be mainly spoiler boxes.

Toward end of Day 1...

Spoiler

The museum. Fuck me :( and :wub: I did think there would be some kind of flashback thing as there was so much teased in the prologue around how Joel and Ellie’s relationship has developed and grown stressed that they had to let us experience that. But I could not have imagined it being as painful and equally heart warming as it was to play through. 

Hopefully there is more of that sprinkled along the journey, but I’m a little worried as to how I’m going to cope as it gets more intense.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Hasn't them doing a space IP been rumoured for a while?

I can see it being something like Sunshine (Danny Boyle).

• Upvote 1

It probably isn’t the intended reaction but I laughed when a dog walked over my proximity bomb.

I hope they serve beer in hell.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The bombs and explosions in this are so brutal. 

They are also misleading.

Set one off with a brick or bottle... “Hhmmm, that doesn’t look too bad. I mean it sounds nasty but just looks like a little puff of dirt”

And then you step across one... “Holy fucking shit. Not even Bob Morton could put me back together now”

• Upvote 1

A few hours in and it’s pretty good. I’m thus far much more impressed with the world than I am with the story, which seems like a formulaic revenge tale (albeit with some nice moments) but hopefully it’ll grow into more. Does annoy me that Naughty Dog were initially very careful with the trailers, but carelessly ruined one early, big story moment with their last one. 

The trailer of theirs which showed Ellie exploring Seattle with Dina. Early trailers implied that it was Dina who was killed, of course, so this just made me think ‘who else does Ellie care about that much?’ Which reduced the early death from ‘oof’ to ‘well, yeah.’

The audio mix seems a bit weird in places, too. Like the early scenes at the town, where I was stopping next to people to listen in on their conversations. In TLOU these were clear and sharp, but here I was really having to strain to make out what was being said.