rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

2 minutes ago, Moz said:

Basically skillup is talking out of his arse, don’t worry about it.

I think the problem that Skillup, and Edge, highlighted is that the gameplay loop gets boring and the story goes to shit in the second half. Despite the "feels" you might have now.

Anyway, I'm downloading it now so not long to wait for the definitive review.

• Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I think the problem that Skillup, and Edge, highlighted is that the gameplay loop gets boring and the story goes to shit in the second half. Despite the "feels" you might have now.

The gameplay loop does drag in the end, that was my sentiment as well. The loop didn't feel exactly tailored to the length. 

I’m going to be hearing death gurgles in my sleep tonight.

Me playing this with GF next to me on the sofa -

Dina: makes another horse-related joke

GF: these horse jokes are lame

Me: did you mean to do that?

GF: no?

Me: oh.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I’ve played the first one six times and not tired of the gameplay loop, though. He openly admitted to just shooting his way through it.

Anyone else jumped at their horse yet? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sdmilne said:

Just how bad is the fan noise when playing this?  And does it make a difference whether you are using the disc version or the digital?

Deafening. Constant roar of cheering and applause, which while justified, is distracting enough that I’ve put on subtitles. 

• Upvote 1

I am so in for this horrific, majestic, thrilling, fucking evil ride. Avoid spoilers, everyone - there’s some massive stuff and it starts pretty early.

Technically this is the best game of the generation, too.

• Upvote 2

So far this is just as good as the first one. Been playing it since about 10am but I'm really taking my time and drinking it in, so I'm not very far at all.

My release model base PS4 is being suspiciously quiet playing it, though. Either this game is coded to near perfect levels of efficiency or my PS4 is about to melt.

The thing I got spoiled for me yesterday happened early on, which is nice. I really don’t know where it’s going from here and given that it’s quite long I’m excited by the prospect.

It’s got a wide, slowish vibe of wandering around big areas investigating landmarks etc. I can feel the pull of the story but I’m taking it slow and trying to explore every nook and cranny.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Can anyone who isn't emotionally involved with the characters comment on the gameplay? Better AI this time for buddies and enemies? Fewer cheap puzzles? Improved gunplay? Anything that actually makes this a better videogame than the first one?

It's largely identical to be honest. Some slight refinements and a few new mechanics brought across from the Uncharted games, but the friendly AI issues persist and the enemy AI is nothing to write home about. There's still very little to stop you luring them all into a single room and stealth killing them one by one, I'm seven hours in on hard and haven't used a single crafted item yet.

That said, the puzzles are a lot less forced and the level design is lovely.

I’ve barely used my guns yet, except for one sequence where stealth isn’t an option.

The enemy AI gets smarter and more aggressive on harder difficulties FYI. The difficulty for several components is custom, so you can put the enemies on survivor and leave the rest on hard if you like. 

If anyone’s interested you can tune 

player: damage taken, checkpoints mid encounter

enemies: accuracy, frequency of items, aggression/flanking, melee complexity, movement speed, misc custom tuning in specific encounters

allies: aggressiveness/passivity in combat

stealth: enemy perception, how quickly enemies alert others, takedown distance/angle

resources: quantity/durability/yield of scavenged and crafted items. 

I’ve not played this since I shut down about 4am this morning but I have not... stopped... thinking about it!

Another session getting started very shortly :unsure:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Moz said:

The thing I got spoiled for me yesterday happened early on, which is nice.

Same here. Quite happy that I still didn't see it coming at the time and got a bit of a shock, though.

I'm playing it on normal, and maybe it's because I replayed the fuck out of the original on hard difficulties, but I'm finding this to be quite easy. I'm gathering tons of supplies early on, and I'm barely using my firearms. The clickers are almost certainly much easier to handle than they were in the first game.

Weird people with nothing better to do are bombing this on Metacritic , with the user review average at 3.7 out of 10.  Makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Same here. Quite happy that I still didn't see it coming at the time and got a bit of a shock, though.

I'm playing it on normal, and maybe it's because I replayed the fuck out of the original on hard difficulties, but I'm finding this to be quite easy. I'm gathering tons of supplies early on, and I'm barely using my firearms. The clickers are almost certainly much easier to handle than they were in the first game.

Yeah, must say I'm baffled by people saying the clickers are harder than before. They're a piece of piss now you no longer need shivs, you can even approach them from the front. It's kinda broken the balance because they're easier to take out than runners now.

20 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I’ve not played this since I shut down about 4am this morning but I have not... stopped... thinking about it!

Another session getting started very shortly :unsure:

I’m on strike till they patch the story.

3 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, must say I'm baffled by people saying the clickers are harder than before. They're a piece of piss now you no longer need shivs, you can even approach them from the front.

You should really up the enemies difficulty specifically if you find this too easy. For my first playthrough I had enemies on hard, allies on one up towards aggressive and everything else moderate. I found it pretty tense but manageable. 

Big fan of the destructible windows. I can’t help myself giving my position away by smashing all glass panes.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Weird people with nothing better to do are bombing this on Metacritic , with the user review average at 3.7 out of 10.  Makes you wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

Maybe they dislike it as much as reviewers liked it?

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

Maybe they dislike it as much as reviewers liked it?

Yeah, because they managed to finish a 30 hour game in 10 hours.

• Upvote 1

Anyone having trouble getting the pre-order bonuses (the pistol capacity upgrade and the crafting manual) to work? I’ve entered the code from ShopTo and it’s certainly downloaded the avatar, but the items aren’t appearing in the game (even after restarting the PS4) and I don’t seem to have an option to download any additional DLC items for the game.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

I would really really like it if people were willing to take some shots of the models close up in the viewer or post videos of them looking at them?

Got you covered.

ellie.thumb.jpg.8f70da0d7558bf28f5c3d2fcbe5ba339.jpg

nina.thumb.jpg.244c405e4a95f3490da9d4e9189a69dd.jpg

lou2-2.thumb.jpg.c7b4ac87f6d62fe7feac44d0bd6a7981.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Yeah, because they managed to finish a 30 hour game in 10 hours.

You don’t need to finish a game to have an opinion on it.

No one in their right mind would finish every game they play. I ditch most after an hour if I’m not feeling it. 

• Empathy 3

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

You don’t need to finish a game to have an opinion on it.

No one in their right mind would finish every game they play. I ditch most after an hour if I’m not feeling it. 

Yeah, that is why most of the comments are about the shitty story.... It makes sense to score a game with 0 when you have only played a couple of hours.

• Upvote 2

The Remaster has wound me up I have rage quit!

I am now trying to decide if I should start the sequel now instead. Maybe with a fancy beer?

Easter  egg spoiler 

in the bank in Seattle , once you break into the vault there’s a ring in one of the deposit boxes . It’s dated 29th January 1596 and says “ sig parvis magna” on it. 

that’s Francis drakes ring that Nathan wears round his neck

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Yeah, that is why most of the comments are about the shitty story.... It makes sense to score a game with 0 when you have only played a couple of hours.

Right. I haven’t actually looked at meta critic since I saw GTA or something similarly shite was the best rated game ever. 

Still if people want to call out a game on that website for being shit, if it’s their perception of shit, then that’s their prerogative. 

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The Remaster has wound me up I have rage quit!

I am now trying to decide if I should start the sequel now instead. Maybe with a fancy beer?

Whereabouts did you get to?

I’ve had a brilliant evening on the remaster...

Spoiler

Completed Pittsburgh. That was great! Really tense throughout, especially the section where you get separated  

Really whet my whistle for part two now - gone from probably avoid to definitely get once I’ve finished this. The impressions here are making it hard to hold off if I’m honest.