The Last of Us Part 2

2 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Reading reviews of this makes me wonder if it’ll be the second title, in my twenty five years of gaming, that I stop playing because I’m so opposed to the actions of the protagonist. 

I mean, it's got to be Dreamweb, right? Proper dickhead of a protagonist, that one.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Same as Hitcher. Shadow of the Colossus. 

Oh. Well. I do sort of agree. Poor Colossi. 

Interesting. I like that feeling of tension between the character and player. It's the sensation that you're doing something you don't want to, but you're so far down a wrong path that you commit to finishing it through desperation.

13 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

I mean, it's got to be Dreamweb, right? Proper dickhead of a protagonist, that one.

Interesting example! I loved Dreamweb. The protagonist was unhinged, for sure, but it also felt like he was a pawn of otherworldly forces, whereas the protagonist in SOTC is entirely clear on what he’s doing and why the whole way through. 

Not sure anyone will get it early according to this:

Even if they were dispatched early, Royal Mail are a bit slower these days.

20 minutes ago, Pug said:

Shite! We may not even get to play it next weekend. :(

£54.99 on the PS Store...

Crikey! Even Amazon appear to have sold out of the standard and their steel book versions.

They've got the £69.99 LE in stock.

They use their own delivery staff so it'll be there on launch.

EDIT: Smyth's Toys is £44.99 for click and collect pre-order and their stores open tomorrow if you've one near you?

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Pug said:

Yeah, I've had 'next day delivery' stuff take 3-4 days, and that's better than some areas. 

This game sounds far too depressing for the moment. Can't imagine wanting to play it. 

On 13/06/2020 at 08:45, Talk Show Host said:

Are you suggesting that a game like LouII should have stories which allow multiple paths?

You've played it, right? Here be spoilers:

Last chance if you clicked on this by accident:

When I entered the surgical theatre in the first game I immediately decided not to harm any of the surgeons, but then Joel killed one anyway. I hoped it was because I'd stood too close to him and triggered an automatic proximity response, so I reloaded my save to try again. This time I stood as far back as I could, and still the game took that choice out of my hands. It soured the ending for me.

So when I read that this event sets up the sequel, it cemented in me the feeling that I'm overruled whenever the story requires it. And since we play games to exert control in virtual worlds, I think prioritising a narrative at the cost of respecting our choices is running counter to the very heart of gaming's appeal. Go watch a film, innit.

I've read complaints about stealthing through a section only to have your character commit murders in a cutscene, rewriting your actions to serve a story you wanted but weren't allowed to help write.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Has anyone been following Neil Druckmann acting like a whining piss-baby because a handful of people on twitter had the temerity to mock a pull quote comparing TLoU2 to Schindlers List?

Cory Balrog even joins in and calls it bullying! Specifically the person they’re calling a bully is Jason Schreier, who wrote the report on the horrendous working conditions inside Naughty Dog, which I’m sure is purely coincidental. These guys need to take a long hard look at themselves and pull their heads out of their arses.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1
2 hours ago, Escaped said:

You've played it, right? Here be spoilers:

Hide contents

Last chance if you clicked on this by accident:

Hide contents
When I entered the surgical theatre in the first game I immediately decided not to harm any of the surgeons, but then Joel killed one anyway. I hoped it was because I'd stood too close to him and triggered an automatic proximity response, so I reloaded my save to try again. This time I stood as far back as I could, and still the game took that choice out of my hands. It soured the ending for me.

So when I read that this event sets up the sequel, it cemented in me the feeling that I'm overruled whenever the story requires it. And since we play games to exert control in virtual worlds, I think prioritising a narrative at the cost of respecting our choices is running counter to the very heart of gaming's appeal. Go watch a film, innit.

I've read complaints about stealthing through a section only to have your character commit murders in a cutscene, rewriting your actions to serve a story you wanted but weren't allowed to help write.

But how can you change all this without changing the story or writing multiple choice paths? If you simply want gameplay choice you have it on some level but story freedom is a totally different thing and a completely different design. This game tells it’s own story as so many games do. This is, again, a problem all videogames have, if we consider it a problem that is, which I don’t. There are plenty games out there who let you shape their stories, this is not one of them.

I wonder when the preload for digital will start. Normally PSN download speeds are pretty bad so you'd want it as early as possible but yesterday I set Uncharted 4 downloading and then went away and left it. Later I noticed the PS4 was pulling down data at 300meg/sec. I don't think I've ever seen PSN go that fast. Even my Microsoft store connections tend to top out at 200-250 (Slower on the XBox itself)

2 minutes ago, Fargo said:

It’s already available for preload. Mine downloaded over the weekend. It’s around 70GB

Mine has as well, but im sure it said it was only 20gb?

34 minutes ago, Fargo said:

It’s already available for preload. Mine downloaded over the weekend. It’s around 70GB

I am pretty sure it is around 98GB. There is a patch also but not sure if it’s delivered in the preload. Maybe they made the final download smaller?

Weird. I just had to set mine off manually. Oh wait. This is because I let my PS+ lapse isn't it? :)

20 gig to "start" and 76 gig to finish. Not sure if that's 76gig in total.

4 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Has anyone been following Neil Druckmann acting like a whining piss-baby because a handful of people on twitter had the temerity to mock a pull quote comparing TLoU2 to Schindlers List?

Cory Balrog even joins in and calls it bullying! Specifically the person they’re calling a bully is Jason Schreier, who wrote the report on the horrendous working conditions inside Naughty Dog, which I’m sure is purely coincidental. These guys need to take a long hard look at themselves and pull their heads out of their arses.

I've just listened to the Waypoint discussion about the game and it's put me right off. It just sounds so derivative and meh. A competently made game but almost without any real meaning apart from to be brutal and mean for the sake of it. Having to put up with that tone deafness during an overlong game that, while directly borrowing from Spec Ops: The Line in one part, doesn't exactly pay attention to how the medium has evolved.

That combined with the horrific working conditions at Naughty Dog and the mental trauma that some employees are expected to go through with making those gory assets and animations (same reason that Mortal Kombat can go fuck itself), it just seems wrong to support this game.

• Empathy 4
26 minutes ago, barkbat said:

#Xboxowner

I don’t know about that :P but it’s just way too strange for me for someone to claim “violence for the sake of it” considering a) that it’s a videogame and b) that the general narrative is about the effects of revenge in a society without laws, its cost, the need for personal redemption, love, forgiveness  and self change through different views and growth. I kinda get the feeling that some people just have a need to dislike it for some reason, which is quite weird when the first game was as violent as this one is for it’s time.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
34 minutes ago, barkbat said:

#Xboxowner

Is that the hashtag used for someone who would rather not have developers be forced to watch snuff films so they can create their latest masterpiece? But I guess if you want to reduce the human cost of creating the latest shooty bang bang game to simple video game fanboyism, then go ahead.

7 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is that the hashtag used for someone who would rather not have developers be forced to watch snuff films so they can create their latest masterpiece?

Is that so? Appalling if that's the case. Would appreciate a citation.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is that the hashtag used for someone who would rather not have developers be forced to watch snuff films so they can create their latest masterpiece?

Some of the stories coming out of the MK offices are absolutely horrifying. The guy who could only see his dog as a bag of organs after working on fatalities for six months springs to mind.

13 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Is that the hashtag used for someone who would rather not have developers be forced to watch snuff films so they can create their latest masterpiece? But I guess if you want to reduce the human cost of creating the latest shooty bang bang game to simple video game fanboyism, then go ahead.

That has nothing to do with how the game deals with its themes. It’s perfectly logical to be appalled by things like that if actually true, but totally off to say that the game is just violence for the sake of violence. It probably means you slept through half of it.

• Upvote 2