rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

That dodging system in the melee attacks looks so fluid. The camera work is terrific, it's weighty, bloody and the sound design really sells it

On 21/05/2020 at 20:46, Uncle Nasty said:

Boring. Mash square to escape.

This didn't age well at all did it 

I've watched that State of Play 4 times now.

I cannot believe that TLOU2 is running on a PS4 Pro

• Upvote 1

How spoilerific is it? I have avoided all videos so far, but want to get excited!

1 minute ago, kempstar said:

How spoilerific is it? I have avoided all videos so far, but want to get excited!

Not at all. Some very generic set-up for the scenario that you watch, definitely no big story-based revelations.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Not very, unless you don't wat to see new mechanics, one new Infected and some of the locations. Story-wise it doesn't contain spoilers.

Really liked what I saw in terms of new mechanics that are added to the toolset, the dodge in particular. 

Looked utterly daft, I'm very pumped for it. 

I've really loved almost everything that Naughty Dog have pumped out and they're right up there with the best for me, and I just can not wait for this. 

I think it'd be great if action sequences like that in the video were far more sporadic than in previous ND games. I'd appreciate longer periods of quiet and exploration of those environments, with the occasional burst of violence, each of which feels like a meaningful event. But from the looks of it, they'll be popping up regularly as you're wandering around and become routine.

Also I know when I do that sequence, it'll be a comedy of errors and all that gritty realism will disappear in an instant.

Uncharted is a good clean (mass murdering!) fun. But pretty superficial. The Last Of Us is something else entirely. Deep, compelling and tragic. It’s a video game that stands as a genuine piece of art.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Fairly sure I've had this spoiled for me now. Only took two words.

What sentences can you form with two words?

"______ dies."

Cheers for that.

I'm a bit worried how disturbed I was watching that. The first game was super violent but in a way that still felt safely genre-based i.e. you were braining biker goons and thugs and faceless soldiers for the most part. But these bad guys are people. Beautifully rendered, wonderfully voice acted people, who like music and talk to their dogs. It made me wince watching Ellie knife people in throat and say weird one-lines like 'just like that' as she murdered another person. ND is maybe its own worse enemy here - they are bringing such life to these enemies that it's making it uncomfortable to watch the blood pour out of them. I'm a massive fan of the first and will still be buying this, but yeah - from a game point of view this looks like a masterpiece. From an ethical point of view - this looks like a genuine murder simulator and it made me uncomfortable.

• Upvote 3

Like BadgerFarmer says above, you’ll most likely be Benny Hilling all over the place when you play it.

Until your second playthrough. :)

33 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

"______ dies."

Cheers for that.

Wow. We've reached new levels of spoiler over-sensitivity. You're clearly just speculating there.

Also, given the first game, I daresay it's pretty safe to say that there's going to be some death in this game.

I've avoided quite a lot of chat and videos about this on purpose so forgive me if this has been answered or shown recently but is there a noticeable improvement over PS4 and the Pro version?

I've got standard ps4 and would seriously consider a Pro if it was worthwhile.

35 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I'm a bit worried how disturbed I was watching that. The first game was super violent but in a way that still felt safely genre-based i.e. you were braining biker goons and thugs and faceless soldiers for the most part. But these bad guys are people. Beautifully rendered, wonderfully voice acted people, who like music and talk to their dogs. It made me wince watching Ellie knife people in throat and say weird one-lines like 'just like that' as she murdered another person. ND is maybe its own worse enemy here - they are bringing such life to these enemies that it's making it uncomfortable to watch the blood pour out of them. I'm a massive fan of the first and will still be buying this, but yeah - from a game point of view this looks like a masterpiece. From an ethical point of view - this looks like a genuine murder simulator and it made me uncomfortable.

I think that's kinda the point. The violence is brutal, ugly and drawn out, not flashy and glamorous. ND probably wants you to feel disturbed

55 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think it'd be great if action sequences like that in the video were far more sporadic than in previous ND games. I'd appreciate longer periods of quiet and exploration of those environments, with the occasional burst of violence, each of which feels like a meaningful event. But from the looks of it, they'll be popping up regularly as you're wandering around and become routine.

Also I know when I do that sequence, it'll be a comedy of errors and all that gritty realism will disappear in an instant.

The first LoU was like that. Huge stretches were you were just traveling through the ruins, soaking up the atmosphere. I don't think this will be any different. Especially since the levels are larger, with horse riding and even a boat to traverse them. They will probably juxtapose the violence with character moments and moments of beauty, like the giraffes and fireflies of the first game or the elephants in The Lost Legacy.

Yeah, It's all about context. You aren't running around slicing people up for the sake of it, they would do the same to you if they caught you. It's meant to be a dangerous, hostile, kill or be killed world. To me that's better than something like Call of Duty where you are sneaking around, headshotting guards with silenced pistols who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

36 minutes ago, barkbat said:

From an ethical point of view - this looks like a genuine murder simulator and it made me uncomfortable.

I had the opposite feeling, in that the fidelity didn't match up with the reality of people bleeding out. Not a criticism though, although it would make for interesting gameplay if a mode introduced such realism.

39 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I’m playing the first game now, and it is filled with the same kind of brutal and raw mechanics. Killing is drawn out and nasty, I am regularly wincing at the brutality of what i have to do - and I think that is the point.

I found it pretty grim and brutal also if I'm honest but that's what they're aiming for so fair enough. And I'm an old man now. ;)

I definitely wouldn't be up for that @GamesGamesGames

I know the brutality is by design (and brilliantly done). I've played through the first game multiple times. Maybe I'm getting old but something didn't sit right with me in that video. In particular the sequence where Ellie knifes the young Asian girl in the throat, which is unbelievably visceral and hard to watch but in the context, tonally perfect, and then the rampage of uber violence that involves her saying the 80's action hero one-liner 'just like that' as she arrows some guy in the head. It created a tonal dissonance for me that made the later slaughter seem psychotic and wanton and throwaway. It's a weird and instinctive feeling - but it doesn't sit right with me. You can have the later (which largely fits the first game) but then you can't have the former (the intensely personal death). Perhaps it's nothing and I just haven't been playing violent video games enough recently - but the intimacy of the first type of death sits poorly with the mass carnage of the later part. It's very similar to what happened with Uncharted - this feeling of deeper characterisation getting in the way of ultra-violent mechanics.

• Upvote 3

It looks fucking nasty got to be honest, the way she holds a gun to their heads when using them as a shield then violently stabs them in the side, it’s fucking awful. I’ll probably buy it and get into it but right now I’m not sure that’s what I want to be doing with my time. 

• Upvote 1

I think that we should have a forum time trial type thing (an FTTTT if you will) based around that new gameplay section. I wonder how many times they had to play through that to achieve a perfect run?

I. Am. So. Hyped!

5c5ad7259e42b911d3055365.jpg

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

"______ dies."

Cheers for that.

Everyone survives?

Happy ending?

Repentant zombies?

Could be anything...

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I’m playing the first game now, and it is filled with the same kind of brutal and raw mechanics. Killing is drawn out and nasty, I am regularly wincing at the brutality of what i have to do - and I think that is the point.

I'm sure it is, but I found it undermined somewhat by how often you have to do it. Each little arena with a handful of goons to kill diminishes the impact slightly, until only a few big moments stick in the memory.

Uncharted has the opposite problem in a way, in that its violence feels too throwaway, but it comes down to the same thing. The traditional action game structure jars against the level of realism they create through their characters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, three1ne said:

I've avoided quite a lot of chat and videos about this on purpose so forgive me if this has been answered or shown recently but is there a noticeable improvement over PS4 and the Pro version?

I've got standard ps4 and would seriously consider a Pro if it was worthwhile.

Obviously there's been a few years for Naughty Dog to improve their engine, but Uncharted 4 worked astonishingly well on the thing and I'm going to assume that you'll get a very decent version of it on the base model. 

You then buy a lovely new PS5 and play it again in ultra crispy deluxe mode.

Or something like that.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like avoiding enemies is more viable in this. For example it's stated that you can lose enemies and regain stealth to some degree, whereas detection in the first game was more of a binary switch. I'm curious to see how much conflict is actually forced upon the player, as that re-contextualises the possibility for extreme violence.

Also, Ellie learned to swim. I hope there's at least one pallet puzzle in their for old times sake.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Everyone survives?

Happy ending?

Repentant zombies?

Could be anything...

Incels triggered?

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Everyone survives?

Happy ending?

Repentant zombies?