The Last of Us Part 2

The only lack of agency I minded was not being able to skip the gruesome death animations, which was compounded by the fact it was possible in part 1 and became a reflex action. I had to deprogram my brain and see that huge piece of gristle levered from the protagonist's neck every time. I dunno if it was a loading time issue or a "you must confront the consequences of violence!!" thing.

18 hours ago, Marlew said:

Capacity, but not obligation. They didn't forget, they chose.

If it were an RPG, I'd fully agree that leading you down a prescribed path would be a deceit but here you're simply acting out a prescribed role. It raises an interesting question, though. Under which circumstances do we expect or forgive a lack of narrative agency?

When a game presents that prescription as my free will, saying “Look what you did!” as an appeal to my emotions when I didn't. That the game plays out as it does is fine, I guess, but don't suggest I'm an agent to make me feel regret in the cheapest ways possible.

Even if you were given the choice to spare a particular someone, you just know they'd zombify or get munched anyway. It's gameswriting stuck on 11.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Escaped said:

When a game presents that prescription as my free will, saying “Look what you did!” as an appeal to my emotions when I didn't. That the game plays out as it does is fine, I guess, but don't suggest I'm an agent to make me feel regret in the cheapest ways possible.

I see, yes. I totally get your point.

I understand the appeal for the writers/directors but where it simply creates emotional dissonance or, worse, where it doesn't register at all because of the player's own moral/ethical/narrative leanings, it can feel cheap, I agree.

I respect that they're trying to learn how to make me feel a particular way (and I actually did feel bloodthirsty, then uncomfortable, then remorseful and then exhausted in TLOU2) but you can't force the player to feel a certain way just because you put them directly 'in control'.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that the intention is necessarily always to make the player feel like they're responsible for the decision, rather than simply putting them closer to the character's action. The scene where you 'make someone talk' is from a second person perspective, from memory. Interesting chat. 

• Upvote 2

I've always been a fan of adventure games, where you typically have no input whatsoever and just go around triggering preset events, but they don't attempt to arrogate players' emotions as bulking agents for their narratives by suggesting influence.

Press X to abandon Jason

Just finished this and it really is a masterpiece but I think I will return one day and give it a go on a harder difficulty.  Hopefully they do the same as they did with the original and port it to next gen but I am not really sure they can make it look any better.  60 fps maybe but the amount of detail in the world is staggering.

• 2 weeks later...

Outbreak Day is no more.

The promise of "a lot of exciting things planned" makes me hope for a confirmed 60FPS patch for PS5 and the release of Factions Part II for PS5 launch.

Also, I'd like the moon on a stick!

119912388_10164127617510246_484206034686071629_o.jpg

46 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Nope...Grrr. I GIVE UP

Here's how I'm doing it on an android mobile:

1. From the link @teddymeow posted I click on the gif I want to use.

2. Hold my finger on the newly opened gif until a menu appears, and tap "open image in new tab"

3. Go to new tab and copy the address in the address bar.

4. Paste it on rllmuk.

giphy.gif

There's probably a quicker way, but all other ways have never worked for me. You'll know if whatever you have done has worked because the link will change to a gif before you post. :)

• Upvote 2

Goddamn.

Playing with headphones to really immerse myself (although fan is amazingly not too bad on the Pro) and glad I’ve made that choice. Naughty Dog have done a staggering job. Six hours in now. I’m dreading what could be coming but also can’t wait to see what’s next around the corner.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, glb said:

Goddamn.

Playing with headphones to really immerse myself (although fan is amazingly not too bad on the Pro) and glad I’ve made that choice. Naughty Dog have done a staggering job. Six hours in now. I’m dreading what could be coming but also can’t wait to see what’s next around the corner.

Yep. It's an incredible ride. But it's sometimes hard to describe it as "enjoyable"... I like to balance out my gaming by playing something like Yoshi's Crafted World afterwards :D

It's relentlessly grim, unforgivingly harrowing and at times almost unbearably tense.

It's also the best game I've ever played and a bona fide masterpiece. I'd give anything to be able to experience it all for the first time again. 

• Upvote 2