rllmuk
Uzi

The Last of Us Part 2

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Post- Day 3 spoilers

Hide contents

I’m really enjoying Abby’s, how can I put this, more direct approach to situations? I feel like the game is saying, “maybe shoot more things and toss some pipe bombs around”, which is much needed.

Abby is badass . She’s great

Just finished. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but I did think it dragged on quite a bit. I think I preferred the first game overall, especially when it came to story and pacing.

It was technically amazing though, and the encounters allowed for some impressive freedom. On the flip side though, there were a few encounters where I felt forced to do things I really didn't want to as a player, which made me feel a bit detached. I'm not usually one for saying "they should have just made a movie", but there's definitely stuff in this that would have worked a lot better for me if I wasn't in control.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Thor said:

To those of you grumbling about the film grain effect, are you playing on a base/slim PS4? My brother is playing it on a 4ktv with his slim at 1080p, and the grain effect is significantly more noticeable than it is when running at 1440p on my PS4 Pro on a 4ktv.

No. PS4 Pro on 65" LG C9. It was more noticeable in the snowy areas, but it's still quite aggressive in Seattle. 

Still no patch out to sort out the grain disable? Dear oh dear. Naughty dog must be short of a bob or two ;-)

• Empathy 3

I just thought that grain was some graphical trick to make it actually run on the PS4 Pro, sort of a downgrading technique, I didn't think it was done on purpose as it doesn't look great to my eyes. I would definitely turn it off if I had a choice.

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

On the flip side though, there were a few encounters where I felt forced to do things I really didn't want to as a player, which made me feel a bit detached. I'm not usually one for saying "they should have just made a movie", but there's definitely stuff in this that would have worked a lot better for me if I wasn't in control.

I think that was on purpose. I don't think the game wants you to feel good about 

Spoiler

bashing Nora's face in for example.

I keep plugging it because it is really good, but Noah Caldwell-Gervais spends a lot of time on this subject in his longform analysis of both games.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

No. PS4 Pro on 65" LG C9. It was more noticeable in the snowy areas, but it's still quite aggressive in Seattle. 

Interesting, I have the exact same setup, maybe something in our TV settings differ? 

8 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I think that was on purpose. I don't think the game wants you to feel good about 

Reveal hidden contents

bashing Nora's face in for example.

I keep plugging it because it is really good, but Noah Caldwell-Gervais spends a lot of time on this subject in his longform analysis of both games.

Could I have a link to that please @Vemsie sorry if you’ve posted it already. 

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 

Spoiler

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 

Really spectacular stuff. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Hide contents

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 

Have you ever thought that,  instead of pushing on whilst endlessly moaning about the game, you should just walk away?

It seems like the game is just not for you.

Edited by Mike S
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Could I have a link to that please @Vemsie sorry if you’ve posted it already. 

Sure. 

Spoiler

It's long, but I really enjoyed it. Skip to the half mark if you just want his opinion on TLoU 2, but the whole video is worth it.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Reveal hidden contents

You have to accept those moments are done for cinematic and dramatic purposes and are not there for involved gameplay. I mean what do you want, a pipe-mania minigame or something to do in the corner of the screen while the cutscene plays out, so you're always playing a 'game'?

99% of players will get to those sections and will be hammering the square button out of wide-eyed panic, going "oh fuck!" etc.

So congratulations, you are in the 1% who has seen behind the curtain and understood its all a magic trick. Well done. :lol:

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Sure. 

Reveal hidden contents

It's long, but I really enjoyed it. Skip to the half mark if you just want his opinion on TLoU 2, but the whole video is worth it.

Thanks, I’ll watch it all this weekend :)

I'd actually say the balance of, and transitions between, gameplay, gameplay + dialogue, and full cutscene, is absolutely perfect. They are true masters of this style of gaming experience. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Hide contents

Well you’re not going to get anywhere pressing the “x” button. The game is asking you to press the “square” button.

I can see why you don't like it.

• Upvote 3

He probably does like it, just likes to have a moan and a bit of banter on here, which is fine. 

23 minutes ago, AI1 said:

You have to accept those moments are done for cinematic and dramatic purposes and are not there for involved gameplay. I mean what do you want, a pipe-mania minigame or something to do in the corner of the screen while the cutscene plays out, so you're always playing a 'game'?

99% of players will get to those sections and will be hammering the square button out of wide-eyed panic, going "oh fuck!" etc.

So congratulations, you are in the 1% who has seen behind the curtain and understood its all a magic trick. Well done. :lol:

It's weird criticism, especially when it's so infrequent compared to the moment to moment gameplay. And you never hear those same people complain about those same elements in these so called bastions of pure gameplay titles like Metal Gear Rising with all its forced slow Codex walks that are way more annoying than anything in TLoU or the abundance of QTEs in Resident Evil 4.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Interesting, I have the exact same setup, maybe something in our TV settings differ? 

Possibly. I hate film grain, too, so perhaps I just notice it more. Like people chewing. 

14 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

It's weird criticism, especially when it's so infrequent compared to the moment to moment gameplay. And you never hear those same people complain about those same elements in these so called bastions of pure gameplay titles like Metal Gear Rising with all its forced slow Codex walks that are way more annoying than anything in TLoU or the abundance of QTEs in Resident Evil 4.

I replayed Resident Evil 4 last year and it's still a brilliant game, but fuck me having to bring up the briefcase every time to change weapon is a right pain in the arse. Even having access to just two you could swap between would do wonders for the pacing. I used to spend hours in the Mercenary mode alone but the act of swapping weapon became a massive chore and I just sold it on when I was done with it. The inventory system alone in both LOU games in how it never cuts from the gameworld screen is definitely worthy of praise. Even simple things like highlighting where a molotov should be in your quick inventory, and just holding down X to make one rather than going to the specific crafting tab to do that, is excellent.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Hide contents

That's been one of my favourite moments in the game so far, my heart was genuinely racing! 

Spoiler

Obviously when you strip it down it's not groundbreaking or challenging gameplay but within the context of what had just happened, in addition to the direction, camera angles and music (plus the angry and intense gunfight that followed) I was actually thinking about it for a good while afterwards. I didn't know what was going to unfold and felt like the events had quickly gotten out of my control, which is something I'm not sure a game has ever made me really feel before.

When I think of some of my favourite games I've enjoyed in recent years like MGSV, Titanfall 2, or Horizon, even if things get a bit messy at times you are ultimately basically a superhero and in total control of the situation. I don't think I've felt in control for a single second in The Last of Us 2, I feel on edge the entire time and it's so much fun! 

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of it comes down to patience. I love being drawn into a game..Those interactive cinematic moments that set the scene in a way only a game can. Ellie's first walk around Jackson...

Spoiler

Abbie's walk through the stadium to pick up a gun. The drive out with Mel.

Those moments make the game for me.  But I can see how a gamer that just wants to play, just wants to click through this stuff. If you don't appreciate any of the art ND have cooked up then it will just seem like something that is between you and the game. Ever since the PS1 I was always amazed that some people click through cut scenes they haven't seen before, they just want to get to the gameplay. And I guess if you are one of them. This game aint gonna do it for you.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Hide contents

The funniest thing is your in the really good portion of the game. Later on, even I’m starting to fade.

Finished this today, brutal in places, haunting in others but absolutely stunning.

A fantastic swan song for the PS4 generation in terms of gameplay, graphics, plot/story, sound and animation. Imagine what we'll be getting on PS5.

Spoiler

The section with Abby in the sports arena in particular was impressive. No major gameplay to speak of but the scope and size of the place along with the background animation and atmosphere was just something. Also, it was a splash of colour in an otherwise rain filled and intentionally dreary coloured game.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cubik said:

Finished this today, brutal in places, haunting in others but absolutely stunning.

A fantastic swan song for the PS4 generation in terms of gameplay, graphics, plot/story, sound and animation. Imagine what we'll be getting on PS5.

Hide contents

The section with Abby in the sports arena in particular was impressive. No major gameplay to speak of but the scope and size of the place along with the background animation and atmosphere was just something. Also, it was a splash of colour in an otherwise rain filled and intentionally dreary coloured game.

Totally agree, that bit blew me away. I literally walked around it with my mouth wide open!

Tip for those who want to go for the platinum, don't attempt to hoover up all the collectibles on NG+, you may run into a bug where some of the collectibles, especially a specific card, can't be picked up. Looks like it's an NG+ issue, I'm not the only one who's having the problem. 

Shame, I quite fancied grabbing them all on a third run.

I like that the trophies in this aren't tied to the difficulty settings. God of War did the same thing and it actually spurred me on to go for the platinum and get everything out of the game that I could. More of this, please, game developers.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stanley said:

He probably does like it, just likes to have a moan and a bit of banter on here, which is fine. 

It would be fine, we’re it in moderation.