The Last of Us Part 2

26 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Please tell me this is immediately after Day 3...

Reveal hidden contents

I thought this game was in masterpiece territory, but having done the first few sections with Abi it's beginning to feel like it's dragging. I'm still enjoying the action, but there's a nagging feeling of starting again with a new character, which isn't sitting right with me. I think playing as Abi is a great idea, but I expected it to be a short section of the game. I can't shake the feeling of wanting to get back to that last scene with Ellie, but it feels like a bit of that tension is being lost with how long this bit is. 

Certainly for me, I was a little worried for an hour or two post Day 3 that I was losing interest. I think you'll get back into it fairly soon.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Tetchy said:

The ambition is not in question, but even lazy people can have grand ambitions, but it’s whether the effort pays off.

For me, this did not.

Edited for sure 

I think there’s much more to it than that, and more importantly it serves the gameplay, but I don’t think it’s fair to level the ‘lazy’ criticism at it. 

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

At the macro scale it's fine, but there have definitely been instances where they weren't hitting the beat the same way they did in the first.

Reveal hidden contents

Doing the Stalker intro, then going outside for literally 30 seconds, then immediately back inside for more Stalkers is the obvious one. I think breaking that up with something might have worked better.

It's minor, but the first game was pretty impeachable pacing wise, so that's probably the only reason I've been picking up on it.

I've literally just replayed that bit, and again totally disagree. 

Introduction of something > expand on that idea immediately in next section is very "videogame design 101" but this game is meant to catch you off guard as much as possible, so they way they've inserted calm moments like that totally works for this game. 

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I've literally just replayed that bit, and again totally disagree. 

Introduction of something > expand on that idea immediately in next section is very "videogame design 101" but this game is meant to catch you off guard as much as possible, so they way they've inserted calm moments like that totally works for this game. 

I reckon it would have been far more effective if...

Spoiler

Stalkers didn't effectively disappear from the game for the next 3-4 hours. If you're going to drip-feed them, then space them out, rather than ramming two encounters together. The dread that you're encountering them drops off as you fight them, it needs some time to recharge.

The moment you climb back into the next bit, it's obvious that there's more Stalkers. It's not really a surprise, or if it's meant to be, t's not an effective one. I'm just like, "ah, more of these guys".

The calm moment isn't even a particularly calm moment- it's just a tiny walk between two combat encounters, like you'd get between rooms in Doom or something. It would be more effecting IMO if there was a bigger gap.

It's nitpicking but like I say, it's minor things like that which stand out.

34 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I reckon it would have been far more effective if...

Reveal hidden contents

Stalkers didn't effectively disappear from the game for the next 3-4 hours. If you're going to drip-feed them, then space them out, rather than ramming two encounters together. The dread that you're encountering them drops off as you fight them, it needs some time to recharge.

The moment you climb back into the next bit, it's obvious that there's more Stalkers. It's not really a surprise, or if it's meant to be, t's not an effective one. I'm just like, "ah, more of these guys".

The calm moment isn't even a particularly calm moment- it's just a tiny walk between two combat encounters, like you'd get between rooms in Doom or something. It would be more effecting IMO if there was a bigger gap.

It's nitpicking but like I say, it's minor things like that which stand out.

It can't be too big though! Other wise you lose the knowledge of the first encounter. I just don't agree. 

20 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Weird thing - I played through the whole game and don't think I ever saw an ally alert the enemy. Then I played one early part again in NG+ and D got seen and chased by clickers when I was on the other side of the room. She jumped back up to where we'd entered the area and they lost interest. No idea what triggered that.

I read that as chased by chickens and now I wish it was. 

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Tetchy said:

Hmm, don’t think there is anything on there which could even remotely count as spoiler, just an indication of my feelings in response to Stanley.

It's a massive spoiler. Sort it out.

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It can't be too big though! Other wise you loose the knowledge of the first encounter. I just don't agree. 

I was thinking, like, 30 minutes tops. Stick the second encounter

Spoiler

Just after the sewer level fake-out or something, possibly after a quick WLF encounter.

But I'm armchair designing at this point.

3 hours ago, Hylian said:

Please tell me this is immediately after Day 3...

Reveal hidden contents

I thought this game was in masterpiece territory, but having done the first few sections with Abi it's beginning to feel like it's dragging. I'm still enjoying the action, but there's a nagging feeling of starting again with a new character, which isn't sitting right with me. I think playing as Abi is a great idea, but I expected it to be a short section of the game. I can't shake the feeling of wanting to get back to that last scene with Ellie, but it feels like a bit of that tension is being lost with how long this bit is. 

Yeah that’s the bit I was referring to, my favourites sections and set pieces all follow on from that point. 

• Upvote 1

There’s a lot of post-completion co versatile s going on here. Can’t they be moved to the spoiler thread to avoid the risk of ... well ... spoilers?

For those who think Gustavo Santaolalla's tunes are just as lovely in this as they were in the original, here's a little mini-concert he did:

Infact, I rather like the way in LoU2 his music isn't used in the same way, which is great. Just enough of his stuff in there to remind you of things, but having that really contrasting stuff for most of it worked well I thought.

• Upvote 1

To those of you grumbling about the film grain effect, are you playing on a base/slim PS4? My brother is playing it on a 4ktv with his slim at 1080p, and the grain effect is significantly more noticeable than it is when running at 1440p on my PS4 Pro on a 4ktv.

Post- Day 3 spoilers

Spoiler

I’m really enjoying Abby’s, how can I put this, more direct approach to situations? I feel like the game is saying, “maybe shoot more things and toss some pipe bombs around”, which is much needed.

2 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Post- Day 3 spoilers

Hide contents

I’m really enjoying Abby’s, how can I put this, more direct approach to situations? I feel like the game is saying, “maybe shoot more things and toss some pipe bombs around”, which is much needed.

Abby is badass . She’s great

Just finished. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but I did think it dragged on quite a bit. I think I preferred the first game overall, especially when it came to story and pacing.

It was technically amazing though, and the encounters allowed for some impressive freedom. On the flip side though, there were a few encounters where I felt forced to do things I really didn't want to as a player, which made me feel a bit detached. I'm not usually one for saying "they should have just made a movie", but there's definitely stuff in this that would have worked a lot better for me if I wasn't in control.

• Upvote 6
11 hours ago, Thor said:

To those of you grumbling about the film grain effect, are you playing on a base/slim PS4? My brother is playing it on a 4ktv with his slim at 1080p, and the grain effect is significantly more noticeable than it is when running at 1440p on my PS4 Pro on a 4ktv.

No. PS4 Pro on 65" LG C9. It was more noticeable in the snowy areas, but it's still quite aggressive in Seattle. 

I just thought that grain was some graphical trick to make it actually run on the PS4 Pro, sort of a downgrading technique, I didn't think it was done on purpose as it doesn't look great to my eyes. I would definitely turn it off if I had a choice.

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

On the flip side though, there were a few encounters where I felt forced to do things I really didn't want to as a player, which made me feel a bit detached. I'm not usually one for saying "they should have just made a movie", but there's definitely stuff in this that would have worked a lot better for me if I wasn't in control.

I think that was on purpose. I don't think the game wants you to feel good about 

Spoiler

bashing Nora's face in for example.

I keep plugging it because it is really good, but Noah Caldwell-Gervais spends a lot of time on this subject in his longform analysis of both games.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

No. PS4 Pro on 65" LG C9. It was more noticeable in the snowy areas, but it's still quite aggressive in Seattle. 

Interesting, I have the exact same setup, maybe something in our TV settings differ? 

8 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I think that was on purpose. I don't think the game wants you to feel good about 

Reveal hidden contents

bashing Nora's face in for example.

I keep plugging it because it is really good, but Noah Caldwell-Gervais spends a lot of time on this subject in his longform analysis of both games.

Could I have a link to that please @Vemsie sorry if you’ve posted it already. 

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 

Spoiler

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 

Really spectacular stuff. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 

Hide contents

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 

Really spectacular stuff. 

Have you ever thought that,  instead of pushing on whilst endlessly moaning about the game, you should just walk away?

It seems like the game is just not for you.

Edited by Mike S
  • Upvote 3