The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

I pity the reviewers for this.

Imagine if it really is just as bleak, miserable, desperate and soul-destroying a meditation on dog and people murder as it looks. And in this current climate you look at what the world is becoming in real-time, and you look at the upturned faces of your young family, and you know you just hated every minute, and would rather have been playing anything else, or at least have been out in the bright light while it lasts...

Then you have to do this:

“Brutal and beautiful, not for the faint of heart, but improves on the original in every way: 94%.“

Cos if you don’t, all your hardcore peers will point and laugh at you, and those readers with well thumbed, limited edition Ellie statues will dox you.

#prayforthereviewers

21 hours ago, jonamok said:

I pity the reviewers for this.

Imagine if it really is just as bleak, miserable, desperate and soul-destroying a meditation on dog and people murder as it looks. And in this current climate you look at what the world is becoming in real-time, and you look at the upturned faces of your young family, and you know you just hated every minute, and would rather have been playing anything else, or at least have been out in the bright light while it lasts...

Then you have to do this:

“Brutal and beautiful, not for the faint of heart, but improves on the original in every way: 94%.“

Cos if you don’t, all your hardcore peers will point and laugh at you, and those readers with well thumbed, limited edition Ellie statues will dox you.

#prayforthereviewers

Let’s go judge this game before playing it. :seanr:

The first game is extremely bleak, but very well judged in its tone. And condemning it’s sequel (based on a few out of context clips) is pretty Mary Whitehouse out of ten.

Up to Bill's after starting a new playthrough of Remastered last night.

Had to tinker with TV brightness as it looked a bit grey in the night scenes.

The dialogue between characters is still wonderfully natural despite the years that have passed and numerous narrative games that have launched in that time.

Clickers still shit me up too!!

I've just finished replaying TLOU and Left Behind in preparation for TLOU2. I very rarely replay games, the last one I can think of is Bioshock. 

In the years since playing TLOU for the first time I have had some nagging doubts about the gameplay and within an hour those concerns were fully met. The gameplay, whilst good, was just that. Where was the stellar gameplay that others rave about? You could argue that the superb voice acting, wonderfully evocative soundtrack, natural dialogue, riveting plot and the formation of an emotional bond with the characters would overcome that grievance. But there was a nagging feeling that whilst it is a very good game, it's not excellent. 

And then, a few hours in, it just clicked. The scarcity of resources push you to embrace the futility of the characters' existence and that this is a game of survival in the most harrowing of situations. There's no blasé approach to overcoming the hurdles you face and the game demands that you treat its encounters with thoughtfulness. A thoughtfulness that the game's plot, script and acting talent delivers back to you in spades. 

What surprised me most, was that this wasn't a game that was all about Joel and Ellie. The supporting cast were well fleshed out and avoided the cliches of so many creative products. They served to further develop the world, as well as Joel and Ellie's characters and really helped embed the humanity that is at the heart of the proceedings. And then there were the collectables, so often an interminable gaming dirge . However, the stories within them were heartbreaking and believable; of desperation, of spirited fight, of fatigue, of societal breakdown and suspicion of the media narrative. 

I'd also forgotten how visceral and unrelenting the violence was in parts. To the point at which I had to look away on occasion. But I think this plays a key role in making those quiet, contemplative, sensitive parts even more evocative. The giraffes have that emotional resonance because of what has come before. That these characters are capable of such incredible (yet necessary) violence doesn't eradicate their humanity; it brings this to the fore and the bond between the two develops. 

I was expecting to play through it again and say that it's still an excellent game but just falls short of greatness. But, it's superb. Just wonderful. 

I don't think it's been mentioned that the review embargo lifts 12th of June, a full week ahead of launch. I suspect most of us maintain a healthy caution these days with regard to critical opinion, but I've never been as curious to see how a game will be received.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1267534713230508032.html

This is cool stuff.
See also:
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/21274923/the-last-of-us-part-2-accessibility-features-naughty-dog-interview-ps4

Difficulty is highly customizable too.
https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2020/06/01/15-things-i-learned-from-two-hours-playing-the-last-of-us-part-ii

5. Difficulty is highly customizable. However, you aren’t bound to defined modes like easy, normal, or hard; you can also fine-tune specific elements of the experience, like how much damage Ellie takes, how perceptive enemies are, and how plentiful resources are in the world.

Seems they are going all-out with this game.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Turns out I have lost my disc of LoU which was annoying as I fancied another playthrough before the sequel arrives.

Off to order another copy...

Wasn't it free on psplus a while back? 

1 hour ago, kempstar said:

I replayed Left Behind last night. Also amazing. My body is ready.

Where are people preordering from? Want this to be a day-1 purchase.

Just on the off chance they send it early like Final Fantasy 7, Simply games. 

14 minutes ago, Len said:

Wasn't it free on psplus a while back? 

It may have been but I must have missed it which, of course, makes my losing the disc all the more annoying! Hopefully the DLC will still work as that was a download...

The PS4 doesn't get turned on very often these days unfortunately...

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

It may have been but I must have missed it which, of course, makes my losing the disc all the more annoying! Hopefully the DLC will still work as that was a download...

The PS4 doesn't get turned on very often these days unfortunately...

Might be worth holding on until sometime tomorrow when the Days of Play stuff goes up on the digital store? 

10 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Might be worth holding on until sometime tomorrow when the Days of Play stuff goes up on the digital store? 

I've already ordered! 

It's only £11 and I'm not really fussed about a digital v disc copy..