The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

On 20/05/2020 at 20:04, Trigg said:

I thought it was a universal take that of course she knows. It's written all over her face!

That’s my take, the acting (that’s right) acting is incredible and completely sells it.

My god, I love The Last Of Us, I don’t think any game will ever come close to the sheer emotional highs it constantly gave me when I first play it on release and it’s the main reason I’m unlikely to buy the sequel on launch. It’s also the only time a videogame has ever made me cry. God it’s fucking magnificent.

Slightly off topic but is any chance that both games will be backwards compatible on the PS5? All this talk is making me want to play the games (also Bloodborne although that's a different story) but I don't want to buy a soon to be superceded console.

30 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Slightly off topic but is any chance that both games will be backwards compatible on the PS5? All this talk is making me want to play the games (also Bloodborne although that's a different story) but I don't want to buy a soon to be superceded console.

A very good chance...

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

(Near the bottom.)

I'm on a launch PS4 and an older TV, so I look forward to eventually experiencing whatever small enhancements a PS5 brings to PS4 games...

On 20/05/2020 at 15:07, Talk Show Host said:

Ι do not agree with this :blah:. This is a pivotal moment for the story and Joel's character. If Ellie knows he is lying, his personal tragedy and how it has twisted him means very little. Ellie wants to do the good thing, as opposed to Joel. Knowing that this is a lie would totally dismantle the amazing contradiction between her and her savior. Narrative wise it would make little sense. 

Besides, her acting is very convincing. She asks the questions because she needs reassurance. She wants to trust someone. That is why this moment is possibly one of the most important narrative moments in gaming history: Ellie trusts Joel because she loves him. Joel lies to her because he loves her as well.

They are both acting out of love and we are shown the extremes this incredible feeling can take you.

This sounds silly but I think you're both right. You've both nailed the two interpretations of the ending that I regularly switch between as I think about it years later.

This is why I love the ending so, so much. Does she suspect? Does she believe him? Does she know (e.g. was she awake for parts of the escape?). Is she secretly thankful or feeling betrayed? Does she feel complicit? What does her relationship with Joel mean to her now? Is she scared of the responsibility of meaning so much to someone that they'll cast the world aside to protect her? Does she know he lied but trust him anyway in a "better the devil you know" complex adult relationship sort of way? Does she love him enough to look past his limitations? Endless questions from both of their perspectives. It's a phenomenal ending. One of the best bits of writing I've ever had the joy of absorbing, games or otherwise. It's an ending of questions, not answers.

21 minutes ago, Moz said:

This sounds silly but I think you're both right. You've both nailed the two interpretations of the ending that I regularly switch between as I think about it years later.

This is why I love the ending so, so much. Does she suspect? Does she believe him? Does she know (e.g. was she awake for parts of the escape?). Is she secretly thankful or feeling betrayed? Does she feel complicit? What does her relationship with Joel mean to her now? Is she scared of the responsibility of meaning so much to someone that they'll cast the world aside to protect her? Does she know he lied but trust him anyway in a "better the devil you know" complex adult relationship sort of way? Does she love him enough to look past his limitations? Endless questions from both of their perspectives. It's a phenomenal ending. One of the best bits of writing I've ever had the joy of absorbing, games or otherwise. It's an ending of questions, not answers.

Ι think this nails it better than any explanations actually. :D

6 hours ago, Moz said:

Second spoiler delivered courtesy of a Youtube suggestion (thanks Youtube). 25 days to go. Sigh. 

Some of them aren’t spoilers apparently or are at least unknown and not confirmed. 

I know it’s shit though, it happened to me too :( 

I've never actually been "spoiled" by a spoiler to be fair. I often find I prefer games the second time around as the tension of sticking the landing and getting the pacing right evaporates. E.g. I didn't love TLOU until my second playthrough. It's nice to find things out as the creators intended but a good story doesn't live or die by spoilers.

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

There are probably a lot of fake spoilers floating around too. I think I've avoided them so far.

Other than a gif posted in twitter comments... of what I assume was some awful fan-made machinima. Although the idea it could be real is actually hilarious under the circumstances.

Tbf, there's nothing ND could do narratively that would disappoint me more than what Square just pulled.

Aye I recently saw a twitter GIF of Ellie shagging a goblin which looked like it was made in SFM, I don't THINK that's canon.

I had this partially spoiled again for me the other day so I gave in and went through and read everything about it, as it seems pointless trying to avoid them now. 

I feel completely relieved to be honest and I'm now even more excited to play it.

I'll absolutely not say anything about the leaks here but below are just some brief spoilered thoughts on the internet's reaction to them. 

Spoiler

As I suspected the complete overreaction to these leaks comes from a very bigoted place. If you search for TLOU2 on YouTube you'll be faced with a long list of how ND has ruined gaming, calls to boycott the game, etc. I thought "oh no...have ND gone with an 'it was all a dream ending' or something".

Nah, it's just gaming's alt-right being absolutely awful again. That Angry Joe video is pure cringe, but then there's nothing new there I guess. 

This game is gonna be incredible. 

1 hour ago, CGB said:

I had this partially spoiled again for me the other day so I gave in and went through and read everything about it, as it seems pointless trying to avoid them now. 

I feel completely relieved to be honest and I'm now even more excited to play it.

I'll absolutely not say anything about the leaks here but below are just some brief spoilered thoughts on the internet's reaction to them. 

Reveal hidden contents

As I suspected the complete overreaction to these leaks comes from a very bigoted place. If you search for TLOU2 on YouTube you'll be faced with a long list of how ND has ruined gaming, calls to boycott the game, etc. I thought "oh no...have ND gone with an 'it was all a dream ending' or something".

Nah, it's just gaming's alt-right being absolutely awful again. That Angry Joe video is pure cringe, but then there's nothing new there I guess. 

This game is gonna be incredible. 

NOT TODAY SATAN

I have the toughest time not opening spoiler tags, even for stuff that I'm dying to see and really don't want spoiled. Managed to refrain this time and won't be back in this thread until well after release.

For anyone interested Game have the special edition in stock for £159.99. That might seem obscene but the statue from the last one goes for £600+ alone. You could buy this, flog the statue on ebay and get the game for free or at a profit, if you're willing to put in the effort.

Kept away from all shit talking and spoiliers until that video and glad I did.  It looks incredible.  I only watched the first 2 mins of the new gameplay footage and that was enough.  

Spoiler

Nice nod to Vita and Hotline Miami