IGNORED

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

• 2 months later...

I finally started playing this, I was hoping this would be the first Naughty Dog game I love, but after 4 or 5 hours it seems to be having the same effect other ND games have on me and leaving me with a sense of apathy more than anything else. I don't know exactly what it is about all their games that leaves me cold, but I feel like they're always games that tick every box a critically acclaimed triple A game should tick, but I can't feel any soul in them. From story, characters to gameplay, it has everything a good game "should have", but the only exceptional thing that I can see about it is the polish and budget. 

I feel like I'm watching the latest Hollywood blockbuster, just as I did with Uncharted (albeit a different genre). I get the feeling ND wants to make movies far more than Hideo Kojima ever has. I would go as far as to say that ND's whole thing is refining the gaming status quo until it seems almost groundbreaking, except it isn't. 

Nothing wrong with all that though, and I'll keep on with this game as it's only early days still and it might still win me over. 

I wish there were more Hollywood blockbusters as challenging as The Last of Us 2. When I think of a typical Hollywood blockbuster something like this certainly doesn't come to mind, that's for sure. Maybe in a bygone age something like this would come out of the Hollywood machine but Hollywood nowadays is pretty much all reboots, remakes and superhero movies.

If you consider something like Marvel the standard for a modern Hollywood blockbuster, mostly all perfectly competent but extremely safe 3/5 popcorn movies, then Naughty Dog are running rings around those from an artistic perspective. 

Are we still doing the Naughty Dog makes movies thing? The cat and mouse gameplay is absolutely superb. Controls, AI, animation, feedback - all great. There is a lot of gameplay in this thing and most of it is tremendous. 
I think most aspects of the game are exceptional really. Gameplay, graphics (animation in particular), acting, story, music and sound, cinematics, accessibility options - all top notch.

And as stated above, if you want to do the Hollywood blockbuster comparison, please point me towards a recent blockbuster that was as daring as this. It's certainly not your average Hollywood blockbuster, that's for sure.

It's not hard to see why HBO is making a series out of it. You couldn't really do TLoU justice as a movie.

An absolute fucking beast of a game, 25 hours of awesome gunplay, amazing visuals and quality storytelling. The only problem is it's such a meaty big beast I haven't had the time to go back to it since the credits rolled last june.

Wish they would hurry up with the multiplayer.

I do find it interesting that so many consider this a challenging piece of storytelling, but I'm only on the first chapter (first day) so my opinion may well change and it's a wonderful thing we if we do end up having different opinions anyway. 

Maybe I am comparing it to Hollywood films of a bygone era, certainly not comparing it to marvel. But so far it just has all the traditional elements I imagine a big budget zombie blockbuster would have, maybe something starring Tom Cruise or Will Smith, or whoever their teenage equivalents are . There's nothing very unconventional so far. But I'll play to the end and give my final thoughts then.

I find it an extraordinarily difficult game to actually enjoy. It's fantastic in terms of looks, sound, gunplay and all that sort of thing, but it's too depressing by half for me to replay it. I'm very, very glad I did play it through, as there's artistry in the game that's pretty much unmatched, but my god it's a sad world these poor buggers inhabit. Tough and cruel and whilst there are a few moments of light in there, it's not a 'nice' game.

I think the original is one of the greatest pieces of software that's been made. I think it told its tale perfectly well and - for me at least - had a very satisfying conclusion. I never really needed or required another game set in the same world, and I probably still don't really. But I think ND made a worthy sequel, and I think it's good that it exists.

I just can't summon the fortitude to put myself through the wringer on it again!

On 12/10/2021 at 19:32, Alan Stock said:

You're very very very nearly there.

I did actually make it just after this and thought I'd posted but obviously not.

Like others have just said one of the most intense, grueling, painful and downright incredible bits of software I've ever played.

But jesus christ, it's grim on another scale. I'm not sure I can bring myself to play it through again (completed it on hard) and definitely don't think I need another one. Just way too much at times but maybe that is I have a family and am getting older and even softer now. I did let out a number of oh god, no and jesus christ's during the second half as certain events unfolded.

Amazing, amazing stuff though. 

I gave it an 8/10 because at its heart was a slightly old fashion 3rd person action game with cut scenes splitting sections but as time goes on I never stop thinking of it as a benchmark for entertainment as a whole.

It’s a real journey. Like those trilogy films that you watch and get a sense you’ve been through alot.

I think maybe next week I’ll play through them again.

I haven't finished this yet, though I'm good way into it now (it's a big game!) and surely not too far off. I need to see how this ends before I figure out exactly how I feel about it all, but soulless it is not.  It's a consummately made game, for sure. 

Still, I did go back to Death Stranding today, and returning to that glorious genius (not horrifically violent) lunacy felt so good after TLOU.

• 1 month later...