IGNORED

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Just started again on PS5 with the performance patch.

Finding the occasional contradiction in production value that bit more obvious now - some slightly off lighting/texturing and facial animation in the very opening scene with Joel and Tommy, and the horses' jumping animation & collision in the credits opening are actual immersion breakers - on the flipside, the direction of the first cutscene with Joel and Ellie is still masterful!

Resi Villy's facial animation and photogrammetry, on PC too, have adjusted how I'm viewing things a bit I think and I need to adjust.

That first section where the scene is transporting the viewer to various locations like the operating theatre…surely that was pre rendered , but it runs at 60 so it can’t be unless that swapped out the pre renders. If it’s real time it’s even more impressive they can flip locations and character model so easily given the memory available.

Despite having played the whole game already. Despite having gone through the complete cycle of meaningless vengeance. Despite it all, I played that opening section again, and… fucking Abby must die.  :angry:

I'm pretty sure I can't go through the game again. It's so unremittingly bleak. Where the stand out moments in the first are the little windows of beauty still in the game, I can't remember much of that in the second at all...or at least it's been wiped from my mind.

13 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I'm pretty sure I can't go through the game again. It's so unremittingly bleak. Where the stand out moments in the first are the little windows of beauty still in the game, I can't remember much of that in the second at all...or at least it's been wiped from my mind.

These moments are still there, in fact I would argue even more so than the first, which let's face it was also relentlessly bleak. I have to admit, I found playing through the opening of this again really hard work because it starts so slowly, yet you know where it is going. Still hurts.

60fps tho lads. Feels like butter.

Can you skip stuff in this and jump between chapters on a replay? As much as I love the game if I'm replaying it I don't need the "Sony Sections" of walking around places having a nice time. I just want DAT COMBAT at 60FPS if possible.

I mean, what I want is a horde mode type thing with medals and challenges but Naughty Dog don't seem to be listening specifically to me, which is a shame. 

If any game didn’t need their frame rate doubled, it’s this one. It was built with 30 in mind and the lighting, effects, movement and controls reflect that. Pandering to the FPS militancy crowd who have decided that more fps=better and that’s not the case.

27 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

If any game didn’t need their frame rate doubled, it’s this one. It was built with 30 in mind and the lighting, effects, movement and controls reflect that. Pandering to the FPS militancy crowd who have decided that more fps=better and that’s not the case.

You can still choose to play at 30fps, I believe. 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

You can still choose to play at 30fps, I believe. 

Yeah had a little dip in and saw the toggle, as if the devs wanted to keep their vision intact. 60fps is great for twitch games and shooters etc, but for this, I don’t think it matters if Ellie has the aiming speed of a Call of Duty character.

One of the many great things about TLoU is just how broad and accessible it is in terms of gameplay. The driving factor will always be the story, but the action encompassing that story can be as sedate or as twitch as you choose. At its lowest setting, with all assists on, the game can be played by anyone at any skill level, but at its hardest setting the challenge becomes very different indeed and absolutely benefits from higher frames. Adding features and options to games post release is never a bad thing. Nothing is lost here. It's a very odd point to make.

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

I thought it was just fine in 30 but the new frame rate improves shooting for sure, if taking a little of the cinematic effect away at times.

I concur