The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

12 minutes ago, JoeK said:

No way. It was pushing even that machine pretty damn hard.

Didn't mean to put a question mark at the end of my post! I know it was 30fps, I'm disputing the 'yep' in regards to this being '1440p @ 60fps' from the 'PS4 Pro enhancements'.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Probably because it's shit-your-pants scary. 

I'm defo in then. I think was just life getting in the way with kids, work and moving (and probably the Tarkov addiction). Anyway, have my new headphones so can finally lounge on the sofa and play in the evenings again on a console so will start with this. :)

2 hours ago, Popo said:

And faster loading!

image.gif.56938484d3a126049ea7e10dc1e50d48.gif

I should hope so, it took well over two minutes from turning on the PS4 to starting the game. I remember timing it because even though I wasn’t enjoying the game, it was just another layer of frustration. 

This game is a masterpiece. It’s better looking than any PS5 game released yet.

headphone mix is awesome in 3d (Apple earbuds)

Just realised the brightness setting in the display options is actually HDR brightness too :facepalm:

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I should hope so, it took well over two minutes from turning on the PS4 to starting the game. I remember timing it because even though I wasn’t enjoying the game, it was just another layer of frustration. 

Ah thanks, I'd forgotten about when you timed the loading screen like an utter mad man. That's cheered me right up. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Ah thanks, I'd forgotten about when you timed the loading screen like an utter mad man. That's cheered me right up. 

To be fair the long load times became a barrier for me going back for seconds. I’m glad I didn’t now we have 60fps.

It all makes the rumoured remake of the last of us even more useless now surely? I mean the only way I think they could have really sold it is as a single package of both games all PS5’d up.

The loading times are a very minor detail because once you're in the game you don't have to go through any loading at all. Its just the initial load of the game or if you decide to chapter skip for some reason.

For anyone that couldn't be arsed with the Digital Foundry video, basically the entire game is running at consistent 60fps with only a miniscule number of exceptions.  

On 19/05/2021 at 09:29, Len said:

As mentioned in the ps5 thread I may finally go back and finish it off! Stopped at the hospital I think (can't really remember) and not sure why tbh. Absolutely loved the original as well.

Do I restart or just pick it up is the question? 

Picked up where I left off, took a little while to remember wtf was going on but all good. Oh my, what a game, it really is stunning (the sound work is on another level). Four hours later I had to put it down after more revelations (those flashbacks are so well done in many ways) and getting to day 3 and on the road to the aquarium.

Christ, I forgot how bleaks and oppressing it is at times. Properly makes you hold your breath without realising at times. Also a couple of huge jump scares/surprises for me (proper shriek...lol!) and a few jesus christ, that's grim, from me. 

Onwards... :)

Just started again on PS5 with the performance patch.

Finding the occasional contradiction in production value that bit more obvious now - some slightly off lighting/texturing and facial animation in the very opening scene with Joel and Tommy, and the horses' jumping animation & collision in the credits opening are actual immersion breakers - on the flipside, the direction of the first cutscene with Joel and Ellie is still masterful!

Resi Villy's facial animation and photogrammetry, on PC too, have adjusted how I'm viewing things a bit I think and I need to adjust.

1 hour ago, Len said:

Well, it is a worry it has to be said! :lol:

Like I said, at times you're like, sheesh, this is heavy going but still fantastic at the same time if that makes any sense?

Oh yeah totally. 

I’d put this up there with shit like Requiem for a Dream in the “never want to go through that again” stakes. 

Even if it was a billion fps.