IGNORED

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

I wish Sony would just say “we are not planning on any updates to The last Part 2 for PlayStation 5 at this time”

or

“We are looking into the possibility of harnessing the power of Playststion 5 to improve the experience of The last of Us part 2”

then at least we would know.

7 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

And finished. Damn thing had more epilogues than Return of the King but it was just a phenomenally good game. Balls to the haters - stupid fuckers can't get anything right, can they? 

Seems like you just blasted through the second half! Which in fairness, I did too. Wild game.

So yes, I really quite enjoyed this. I cannot understand all the videos I watched from YouTubers I normally find open-minded and agreeable yet they all slammed it for the same reason(s), that being 

Spoiler

the mid-game switch to Abby and the "manipulative" way it "makes" you "like" her. Well, way before the end of the game I started to find Abby a likeable and relatable character, and I didn't want either of them to kill the other. To be honest I was getting a little weary of Ellie's relentless Fury Quest and was wishing she'd just leave it, but I imagine this was how you were meant to feel by then. 

If we were meant to sympathise with Ellie's motives then we should also relate to Abby's which were arguably more understandable, if a little grotesque. Interestingly (or not) the comic-book cards that Ellie collects categorised all the characters who were on paths of brutal vengeance as neutral villains. Hmm.

I did find it ridiculous that Abby and Ellie didn't attempt any kind of dialogue. Why didn't Abby just say that the real reason for her revenge was because Joel had killed her dad? Surely Ellie could relate to that!

It did feel a little like it was heading too far into Uncharted territory (pun not exactly intended) with some of the setpieces and the "Oh! I've landed rough and everything has collapsed all around me now I'm miles away from where I wanted to be!" type shoite.

Spoiler

I did find it amusing to have a shaven-headed, arrow-firing BOY! follow you around, helping in combat and dropping shortcuts. Why he couldn't use his whistling skills to distract/ lure the Scars, I don't know, nor his sister during the Haven section.

• 1 month later...

Awesome news, Sony have been doing really well with their new-gen patches. I was a bit worried when Spider-man got a 'remaster' but the simple 60fps patches since then for their first-party games have been very welcome.

7 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh shit!

Been waiting for this to do a replay. Is there a list of improvements so I don’t have to watch a video?

Can read about it on the PlayStation blog

'Once patch 1.08 for The Last of Us Part II is installed on your PS5, you will find a toggle in the Display options that allows you to choose between a Framerate Target of 30 FPS or 60 FPS. This allows you to choose your preferred framerate to complement the rest of the enhancements that are part of the PS5 backward compatibility with PS4 games, such as an enhanced resolution, faster load times, and more.

The team has been digging into the PS5 hardware and the possibilities it unlocks since launch last year and we’re excited about what the future holds. This patch is just the first step of working on the PS5. We’ll let you know when we’ve got more news to share!'

6 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh shit!

Been waiting for this to do a replay. Is there a list of improvements so I don’t have to watch a video?

It's literally just 60fps.

I played through this on my old faithful base PS4 and old 1080p TV when it launched and absolutely loved it. I’ve since joined the OLED world and have been waiting for this patch to go back and check it out. Can’t wait! 

As mentioned in the ps5 thread I may finally go back and finish it off! Stopped at the hospital I think (can't really remember) and not sure why tbh. Absolutely loved the original as well.

Do I restart or just pick it up is the question? 

25 minutes ago, AI said:

This is on my external hdd attached to the PS5. Do I have to move the game across to the internal ssd now for this update?

No. It's just a frame rate unlock patch for the game running in BC mode.

Mine copy is on an external drive and I've just updated it and am having a quick look now.

It's still :wub:

Ooh, I could see myself replaying this now. It was a looker on PS4 but those extra frames are always appreciated. 

It'll need to wait until my obsession with Returnal starts to slow down though and that isn't happening anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

No. It's just a frame rate unlock patch for the game running in BC mode.

Mine copy is on an external drive and I've just updated it and am having a quick look now.

It's still :wub:

Is there still loading improvements on external though?