The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

4 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I do wish there were more 3-way encounters. You can actually take baddies hostage and then push them into the warm embrace of a charging clicker :lol: 

There were some that I missed:

Spoiler

In Seattle there's a shop with a clicker and two runners in. You can lead them out to fight the WLF in the petrol station opposite. I thought it was a bit wierd at the time that the infected weren't "guarding" any items but watching another playthrough, it finally made sense why they were there.

The rattlers have infected chained up. I didn't even think to try setting them loose.

Maybe some others that I'm still not aware of.

On 15/07/2020 at 19:45, Liamness said:

There were some that I missed:

Reveal hidden contents

In Seattle there's a shop with a clicker and two runners in. You can lead them out to fight the WLF in the petrol station opposite. I thought it was a bit wierd at the time that the infected weren't "guarding" any items but watching another playthrough, it finally made sense why they were there.

The rattlers have infected chained up. I didn't even think to try setting them loose.

Maybe some others that I'm still not aware of.

Yeah that’s what I did when I played it. That was one of the best bits. Soon went back to normal though.

On 15/07/2020 at 15:17, pinholestar said:

I can’t help but feel that the difficulty settings you choose will have a massive bearing on how you perceive the core combat and gameplay.

I had everything on hard and it made it 100% an extremely tense stealth/survival horror experience. Every combat area was a complex puzzle to be solved by carefully observing enemies, utilising patches of long grass, ducking through gaps in broken walls and generally stalking my prey with very limited resources. When it all went tits up and kicked off it was pure seat-of-my-pants desperation and scrabbling to try and lose any pursuers, very often dropping the last enemy with literally my last bullet. 

You can definitely see what they’ve learned from developing the Uncharted games in terms of multi-layered level design but the core combat in that feels very different to me as it has you leaping and free-wheeling about the place with wild abandon, chucking grenades, diving into cover and blindfiring. The combat in this felt far more measured and observational, punctuated with sudden brutal explosions of extreme violence and desperate terror. Maybe it feels totally different playing it on normal difficulty, I don’t know.

This this this. It’s virtually a survival horror game. 

21 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

The second half has got good again, thankfully.
It took a while.

Spoiler

Which parts of Abby's half didn't you like? I love every chapter but probably prefer Abby's half overall, as her more agressive playstyle is more to my liking and she probably gets the most spectacular moments and horror-y bits.

40 minutes ago, EUkdazs said:

This might be a stupid question but why does everyone keep using NG as shorthand for Naughty Dog? I feel like I'm missing something obvious and it's irritating me.

I don’t think they are , are they? Are you sure you’re not confusing NG+? 

1 hour ago, EUkdazs said:

This might be a stupid question but why does everyone keep using NG as shorthand for Naughty Dog? I feel like I'm missing something obvious and it's irritating me.

Some people refer to them as Naughty Gods, so could be that.

On 15/07/2020 at 14:53, MardiganX said:

I guess the depends on the settings you use and how, like no game before it, it can actually be whatever the fuck you want.

Full on survival game with intense, punishing action / stealth and slices of horror ... crank the resources up to 're-fill my satchel please' (Yes, I know that's not a real setting).

Full on action game with incredibly fun and Rambo-esque action / stealth with slices of horror... crank the resources down to 'Can I have some more please Sir' (Yes, yes I know).

Its the first time a game has ever allowed this level of experience customisation so can a lot of the issues people are finding with how the game feels not be resolved by changing the settings? I assumed that was one of the key reasons NG put so much work into that aspect. I get that there are always going to be things that simply do not work for people, but there are literally so many ways the game lets you account for that with the settings.

Reference to a section toward the end

Reveal hidden contents

In terms of the balance of infected to human encounters, other than Santa Barbara where it makes sense for the human encounter ratio to be higher as the Rattlers are clearly ruthlessly efficient at dealing with infected (I cant remember any other faction having them chained up), it all seemed bang on. As has been pointed out, the additional human element to the sequel is very much driven by the story and it expanding on the world so naturally there will be be more humans populating it.

@PeteBrant no I don't think I am. Have a look at this for context.

4 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Second half spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

Abby - Day 1 was really hard going. Repetitive with little in the way of narrative and it derailed the momentum built up in Ellie’s story. It didn’t pick up again until Lev was introduced, but even then wasn’t too engaging until the sky bridges in Day 2.

Abby Day 2 was a lot like a Resi game. Loved it.

I see.

Spoiler

I prefer Day 2 and 3 as well, but Day 1 does have some of my favourite bits, like the Seraphites ambushing the jeep on horses and especially the escape with Yara and Lev while being hunted at night by Stalkers. ND could make a great horror game if they want I recon.

16 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I see.

Hide contents

I prefer Day 2 and 3 as well, but Day 1 does have some of my favourite bits, like the Seraphites ambushing the jeep on horses and especially the escape with Yara and Lev while being hunted at night by Stalkers. ND could make a great horror game if they want I recon.

Spoiler

On that jeep chase... I'm not proud of this but on my 2nd play through I found out how incredibly easy that section is if you.... :unsure: shoot the horses :(

Its difficult to die in that section in general to be fair but there is no danger of failing if you are comfortable aiming for the bigger moving target :ph34r:

21 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Second half spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

Abby - Day 1 was really hard going. Repetitive with little in the way of narrative and it derailed the momentum built up in Ellie’s story. It didn’t pick up again until Lev was introduced, but even then wasn’t too engaging until the sky bridges in Day 2.

Abby Day 2 was a lot like a Resi game. Loved it.

I agree with this, by the way.

Spoiler

Day 1 Redux is a sag, or at least the closest thing to a sag this game has. I enjoyed the setup in the stadium, but the section between that and Abby setting off to find Owen in the evening is the weakest chunk of the game imo. I also feel the Uncharted-lite set-pieces rankle against the restrained tone of the rest of the game, so I didn't love the jeep section (same goes for the chase at the end of Hillcrest). The end of Day 3 Redux felt less OTT as it was more narratively significant.

I agree with this, by the way.

Spoiler

I liked the fight in the DIY warehouse. Mostly because of ND's fantastic environment design but also becuase it gave me the chance to use one of my quality action hero jokes

What does the Q in B&Q stand for?

*BLAM*

Fu-Q

Plus it was good to humanise Manny and co by fighting alongside them.

12 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I’m in the end game now and enjoying the direction of the game has taken a lot more, however it is frequently putting me in situations where I have no idea what it expects of me, because for instance, stealth is not an option and I am both outnumbered and outgunned. It’s frustrating and souring the experience. I could drop everything down to easy I guess.

The enemy awareness system has totally broke a few times. Grunts can suddenly take 4 shotgun shells. It’s a bit like playing a bad and broken mission from a PS2 GTA game. And this is the big finale of the game.

Stealth is always an option as far as I know, save for bosses.
I you're talking about the final fight, 

Spoiler

some of these enemies are armored. Use your heaviest weapons if you want to cut them down quickly, like mines, an upgraded rifle and explosive arrows. You can still stun and stealth kill them as well

29 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Hide contents

I have very little ammo or heavy fire power options. I’m having to use some cheese tactics to get through it which is destroying the intended momentum and energy of the fight. It got so frustrating I abandoned it for the evening.

Spoiler

Have you freed the chained-up Infected? Will give you a few free kills. Try to stealth kill what you can and use the items in the house to craft new tools. Mines are so good here, as there are a few spots where you can bunker up if you place mines near doorways. Most enemies will drop ammo for the silenced submachine gun. And as with most fights, you don't need to kill everyone if you can make it downstairs.

And if all else fails: run. Run as far as you can, hide and try a new approach.

On 27/06/2020 at 19:40, Thor said:

Could be your HDD? Might be worth swapping that out before getting a new machine, and if it's not that you have a spare portable HDD. :)

Correctamondo.