IGNORED

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

1 hour ago, Peb Kacharach said:

A discussion forum isn’t a place where people congregate to praise the things you like. I enjoyed a sizeable portion of of TLOU2, but if we can’t discuss things critically, what’s the point? May as well be a fan page.

Of course. It's your giddy tone that I was mocking. The games themselves are merely a precursor to your favourite pastime. 

3 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Of course. It's your giddy tone that I was mocking. You’re actively trying to finish the game just so you can moan about it later.

Whereas your favourite pastime is deleting or editing your posts to say something witty, in a vain attempt to try & make yourself sound clever, and/or funny.

Good job.

12 hours ago, nakamura said:

Uncharted is exactly how it felt to me. Too much shooty shooty compared to what felt like horror of the original. 

It does not have more shooting than the original (well, it's a longer game but it has a lot of downtime too). It just has way better combat. 
I also don't see how the first was more of a horror game than this. I would say this game has the better horror beats, like 

Spoiler

the tunnels lit in hellish red where you first meet the Shamblers, the first time you meet the Stalkers, creeping around in the Conference Centre, the Scars patrolling the park at night with their torches, Abby, Lev and Yara making a run wile being hunted by Stalkers coming out of the woods, Abby's search for a working gas mask, traversing the building filled with Infected after falling in the pool, the hospital basement and Rat King

It's basically the same gameplay loop as the first, but with better exploration, better combat, more variety due to more varied environments and better use of said environments (unlike the constant plank stuff from the first) and with some nice set-pieces to mix things up.

It's a better game.

Just finished it.  I actually think i'll take a month off games now as im drained.  The relentless violence and tension delivered in such hyper real flashes started to wear me down.  

I enjoyed it, the combat was nearly always fantastic and the loop that everyone talks about is satisfying. It did seem to lean slightly more towards combat than infected but given the story, that probably makes sense. 

37 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Deleting your posts to say something witty must be tricky to execute.

Hahahahaha! Look at this Michael McIntyre wannabe chiming in.

Edit - should’ve been wittier in responding to this grammatically, pedantic shill really. 

28 minutes ago, Tetchy said:

Hahahahaha! Look at this Michael McIntyre wannabe chiming in.

Edit - should’ve been wittier in responding to this grammatically, pedantic shill really. 

I was more going for Jason Manford but I'll take McIntyre I suppose. You seem angry and upset - probably not the right time to let you know that grammatically you don't need a comma between grammatically and pedantic. That was another crap wee joke, sorry - genuinely hope you're doing ok. 

21 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I was more going for Jason Manford but I'll take McIntyre I suppose. You seem angry and upset - probably not the right time to let you know that grammatically you don't need a comma between grammatically and pedantic. That was another crap wee joke, sorry - genuinely hope you're doing ok. 

Fucking hell, who appointed you as the Über Grammar Nazi!? :lol:

I’m not angry or upset, but thanks for your conceit! :wub:

Also, Manford or McIntyre; either way, they’re poor comedic role models. Be better.

Enough derailing, let’s get back to Stanshall telling Peb to cheer up, and to enjoy the disappointment of the game he paid his hard earned money for.

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It does not have more shooting than the original (well, it's a longer game but it has a lot of downtime too). It just has way better combat. 
I also don't see how the first was more of a horror game than this. I would say this game has the better horror beats, like 

Reveal hidden contents

the tunnels lit in hellish red where you first meet the Shamblers, the first time you meet the Stalkers, creeping around in the Conference Centre, the Scars patrolling the park at night with their torches, Abby, Lev and Yara making a run wile being hunted by Stalkers coming out of the woods, Abby's search for a working gas mask, traversing the building filled with Infected after falling in the pool, the hospital basement and Rat King

It's basically the same gameplay loop as the first, but with better exploration, better combat, more variety due to more varied environments and better use of said environments (unlike the constant plank stuff from the first) and with some nice set-pieces to mix things up.

It's a better game.

It absolutely does. There are tons of enemies with guns. It's an action game now. Full on action game. Much less infected and clickers. 

38 minutes ago, nakamura said:

It absolutely does. There are tons of enemies with guns. It's an action game now. Full on action game. Much less infected and clickers. 

It always was an action game with horror elements imo, and I think the horror elements in this are stronger. You still fight a ton of Infected in this.

I think it strikes a nice balance between them. Too much Infected combat wouldn't work nearly as well because the humans who actively search, coordinate, flank and use dogs are arguably more fun to fight against as they are better suited to your toolset and the stellar level design. Infected combat is more linear and claustropohic and works better in small doses. Also, there are a couple of moments where you have both at the same time, which is great fun.

But:

Spoiler

You still really underestimate how much Infected combat there really is. The start with Abby is all Infected, patrolling with Dina is all Infected, the open ended Seattle part is all Infected, the second flashback with Joel is all Infected and then there are things like the Stalker section, the people that were locked away in Hillcrest and have turned, the tunnels with the Shamblers, the moment where you fall down with Nora and have to deal with both humans and Infected at the same time, the fight in the arcade and even the start of Santa Barbara. And that's just Ellie's part. Abby's part has Chinatown, the Stalker assault, being locked with Infected while Yara and Lev try to find you a way out, the boat (one of the best parts of the game), the gas mask section and area after, the hospital and the start of Santa Barbara. Even the sniper sequence with Tommy throws in some Infected.

The balance really isn't all that differrent, it's just that you are more nimble, making the combat more fast-paced.

26 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I guess the depends on the settings you use and how, like no game before it, it can actually be whatever the fuck you want.

Full on survival game with intense, punishing action / stealth and slices of horror ... crank the resources up to 're-fill my satchel please' (Yes, I know that's not a real setting).

Full on action game with incredibly fun and Rambo-esque action / stealth with slices of horror... crank the resources down to 'Can I have some more please Sir' (Yes, yes I know).

Its the first time a game has ever allowed this level of experience customisation so can a lot of the issues people are finding with how the game feels not be resolved by changing the settings? I assumed that was one of the key reasons NG put so much work into that aspect. I get that there are always going to be things that simply do not work for people, but there are literally so many ways the game lets you account for that with the settings.

Reference to a section toward the end

Spoiler

In terms of the balance of infected to human encounters, other than Santa Barbara where it makes sense for the human encounter ratio to be higher as the Rattlers are clearly ruthlessly efficient at dealing with infected (I cant remember any other faction having them chained up), it all seemed bang on. As has been pointed out, the additional human element to the sequel is very much driven by the story and it expanding on the world so naturally there will be be more humans populating it.

I can’t help but feel that the difficulty settings you choose will have a massive bearing on how you perceive the core combat and gameplay.

I had everything on hard and it made it 100% an extremely tense stealth/survival horror experience. Every combat area was a complex puzzle to be solved by carefully observing enemies, utilising patches of long grass, ducking through gaps in broken walls and generally stalking my prey with very limited resources. When it all went tits up and kicked off it was pure seat-of-my-pants desperation and scrabbling to try and lose any pursuers, very often dropping the last enemy with literally my last bullet. 

You can definitely see what they’ve learned from developing the Uncharted games in terms of multi-layered level design but the core combat in that feels very different to me as it has you leaping and free-wheeling about the place with wild abandon, chucking grenades, diving into cover and blindfiring. The combat in this felt far more measured and observational, punctuated with sudden brutal explosions of extreme violence and desperate terror. Maybe it feels totally different playing it on normal difficulty, I don’t know.

10 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I'm only 60-70% in

Where are you up to, out of interest? 

I don't want to spoil anything for you so I'll just say nothing. 

And I'm sorry for taking the piss. I will look forward to kicking my telly in when I read your final thoughts. It's all part of the fun. 

49 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Second half of the game spoilers:

Hide contents

I've started Abby Seattle Day 2 - I'll be heading to the sky bridges if I ever recover from that Owen-Abby shagging scene

How do you know how far in you are ?  

4 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Its the first time a game has ever allowed this level of experience customisation so can a lot of the issues people are finding with how the game feels not be resolved by changing the settings? I assumed that was one of the key reasons NG put so much work into that aspect. I get that there are always going to be things that simply do not work for people, but there are literally so many ways the game lets you account for that with the settings.

Reference to a section toward the end

Reveal hidden contents

In terms of the balance of infected to human encounters, other than Santa Barbara where it makes sense for the human encounter ratio to be higher as the Rattlers are clearly ruthlessly efficient at dealing with infected (I cant remember any other faction having them chained up), it all seemed bang on. As has been pointed out, the additional human element to the sequel is very much driven by the story and it expanding on the world so naturally there will be be more humans populating it.

Thats not really true. Dishonoured, Hitman and Deus Ex allow for totally different play styles. Unless you mean in the settings menu exclusively...

10 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Thats not really true. Dishonoured, Hitman and Deus Ex allow for totally different play styles. Unless you mean in the settings menu exclusively...

That's exactly what I meant yes. While those games and even the core mechanics of LoU2 on their own allow for different styles of play, no game previous to this has provided this kind of setting customisation, that can have such a significant impact on how the game actually feels to play.

2 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

That's exactly what I meant yes. While those games and even the core mechanics of LoU2 on their own allow for different styles of play, no game previous to this has provided this kind of setting customisation, that can have such a significant impact on how the game actually feels to play.

Understood. I haven't actually played with em that much. Just whacked it all on hard. Might have a little play. 

I love the gunfights though, It's so easy to move around the brilliantly designed areas and set traps. Throwing a bottle to  booby trap you've laid never gets old.