The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps

Uzi

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

"Editing" has a much higher cost in video game terms though - you can't easily reorder footage, or quickly film a cutaway shot that recontextualises a whole sequence. They would've had to throw away thousands of hours of work, and that's a difficult call to make!

You really need to have your head screwed on as a game director and rein yourself in, yeah. Saying that, George Miller didn’t go off and shoot an additional 30 hours of chase footage and cut it down for Fury Road, so I think it’s entirely possible for a truly great director to know from the planning stage how to block it out. Druckmann seems like someone who would never leave an idea on the table for the sake of the overall game.

Final hours spoilers

Spoiler

It feels extremely weird for a game that spent 28 hours asking you to put yourself in the shoes of your enemy to throw slavers at you, an obvious, unambiguous baddie. It also feels very satisfying blowing them up with explosive arrows. After an entire real world day of worthy storytelling it's a nice little post-dinner sorbet of violence.

I've really stalled on this. I'm into the second half of the game and whilst I want to see how the story resolves it is getting harder to encourage myself to push on.

It's just too big a game with not enough variety in the gameplay to keep me motivated. There is nothing especially bad, and an awful lot of amazing, but it's become a chore. :(

It does look and sound incredible though.

Posted end game impressions in the spoiler thread, but finished this last night.

Spectacular game overall. Maybe a few missteps in pacing but overall I actually didn’t feel it was too bloated or overstayed it’s welcome. And the story played out and ended pretty much perfectly for me. 

Spoiler

A modern tragedy. It gave me real No Country for Old Men feels. Given The Road similarities to the first game that’s prob not an accident

Playing this has made it really difficult to go back and play earlier third person action games - I’ve recently played (for the first time) Uncharted and Tomb Raider and the generational leap from what they’re doing and what this game does within similar confines really goes to show how far we have come. 

Not just visually - the level of interactivity with the ‘beautiful corridor’ Last of Us Part 2 achieves really helps lay new expectations for what it means to suspend ones disbelief. Earlier efforts now look and feel more primitive by comparison - that’s not to say they weren’t impressive at the time, but this is eclipsed only by Breath of the Wild, and perhaps Phantom Pain, in terms of making one really believe in the environment. 

35 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

107666958_10158252767070803_820707075636

109333946_10158252767230803_762415737988

TLOU 2 special edition PS4 is really nice. The entire top piece is debossed. Lucky Amazon Warehouse find.

I'll say.

I remember trying it order mine and the Argos website kept timing out as other people were snapping up the stock as I was entering payment details! I ended up having to drive to Camberley (I live in Basingstoke) to get one.

I'm so glad I did. It's a bloody nice bit of kit.

18 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

I’m in the second half of the game and I’ve just hit a section with waves of enemies that is a huge difficulty spike and one of the shittest things I’ve played in an otherwise great game.

Wanna be more specific in a spoiler? I hit a real impasse at a point like that until I had a brainwave.

On 12/07/2020 at 18:35, Peb Kacharach said:

Second half spoiler

Hide contents

When Abby is abandoned by the two scars in the ruined building and you have to take down waves of multiple infected, clickers, bloaters.

Spoiler

That can be tough, but the trick is to not try and kill everything. Move around, stay away from the Shamblers or take them out quickly, and eventually you can escape. 

Taking this really slow due to work and life stuff. About 7 hours in. Still really loving the combat and the whole ambience. 

Regarding the story though, not sure how it develops but I was really hoping...

Spoiler

That they'd do something with the fact the you are immune to the virus and homosexual. 

You might be the key to the survival of the human race, if you can birth immune kids, I can imagine factions trying to coerce, or even force you. I thought this was going to be the central conceit. 

I thought we were heading into quite interesting waters, but it's looking like a straight revenge saga, which is a bit of a missed opportunity. 

Still, long way to go so I could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Taking this really slow due to work and life stuff. About 7 hours in. Still really loving the combat and the whole ambience. 

Regarding the story though, not sure how it develops but I was really hoping...

Hide contents

That they'd do something with the fact the you are immune to the virus and bisexual. 

You might be the key to the survival of the human race, if you can birth immune kids, but being gay, it would be a choice between civic duty and love

I thought we were heading into quite interesting waters, but it's looking like a straight revenge saga, which is a bit of a missed opportunity. 

Still, long way to go so I could be wrong. 

Wtf that sounds awful. Pretty much the first time we have a gay protagonist in a mainstream video game and you want to make it so that the only way she can save the world and have a purpose is to forget all that and be straight? 

On 10/07/2020 at 12:10, nakamura said:

I finished it. I think it's a bit of a mess tbh. It's at times, amazing but at times clumsy, bloated and falls into genre and videogame tropes. I still think there is far too much open combat, makes so many sections feel a chore. There is also not enough atmosphere despite the incredible sound design. 

Second half is better overall but it descends into Uncharted levels of silly to he honest. Not much in the game convinces me. 

The finale was great though. Naughty Dog always seem to handle these things with utmost skill. 

It's an 8/10 for me. A very good game. But a very disappointing sequel that needed better direction. The final section all seemed to happen so fast too. 

But the open combat stuff IS the game. Its where all the fun is. The combat is amazing.

31 minutes ago, CGB said:

Wtf that sounds awful. Pretty much the first time we have a gay protagonist in a mainstream video game and you want to make it so that the only way she can save the world and have a purpose is to forget all that and be straight? 

No thats not what I want at all. My point went over your head. I was hoping for the exact opposite of what you just said.

If the people she were living with found out she was immune, or other factions caught wind, they might want to pressure her, or force her to conceive... I thought she might run away with her gf with people hunting her or other such ideas that explored her sexuality, her individuality and society etc...

If you don't think those are ingredients for some grown up narrative then you don't understand grown up narrative.

26 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

No thats not what I want at all. My point went over your head. I was hoping for the exact opposite of what you just said.

If the people she were living with found out she was immune, or other factions caught wind, they might want to pressure her, or force her to conceive... I thought she might run away with her gf with people hunting her or other such ideas that explored her sexuality, her individuality and society etc...

If you don't think those are ingredients for some grown up narrative then you don't understand grown up narrative.

Well sorry if I misunderstood but you said (and have now changed) that it would be a choice between civic duty and love. Which is gross. Apologies for my misreading of your incredible and grown up narrative which you changed after I replied to it. 

Just now, CGB said:

Well sorry if I misunderstood but you said (and have now changed) that it would be a choice between civic duty and love. Which is gross. Apologies for my misreading of your incredible and grown up narrative which you changed after I replied to it. 

Yeah fair play, I didn't spell it out well. Sorry. Now i've amended, any better?

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

But the open combat stuff IS the game. Its where all the fun is. The combat is amazing.

I think the combat is great but so much of it is open it just feels samey. Those moments don't feel exciting or gruelling because it's just yet another similar section. 

On 12/07/2020 at 17:35, Peb Kacharach said:

Second half spoiler

Hide contents

When Abby is abandoned by the two scars in the ruined building and you have to take down waves of multiple infected, clickers, bloaters.

Spoiler

Make use of the environment. Run away from everything using cracks and windows. Make a train of enemies behind you, then when you're over a ledge or through a crack, turn around and open up with your shotgun.

Is multiplayer supposed to be on the way for this? Wouldn't a co-op mode be decent?

13 minutes ago, nakamura said:

I think the combat is great but so much of it is open it just feels samey. Those moments don't feel exciting or gruelling because it's just yet another similar section. 

Around 7 hours in and agree with this. It feels like I just keep doing the same thing over creeping around some bad guys and maybe killing the odd one. Rinse and repeat. Feels a bit like an Uncharted game at times with the enemies. Story is keeping me going though although do get the feeling of "oh here we go again" when a new batch of enemies turn up.

14 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Around 7 hours in and agree with this. It feels like I just keep doing the same thing over creeping around some bad guys and maybe killing the odd one. Rinse and repeat. Feels a bit like an Uncharted game at times with the enemies. Story is keeping me going though although do get the feeling of "oh here we go again" when a new batch of enemies turn up.

Mix it up on purpose. Throw a brick at someone then run away and come back from the other side, split em up, shoot someone in the knee then charge at them with a hatchet...

The AI is really good at searching for you but losing you, which allows for some really sandboxey stuff...

13 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

shoot someone in the knee then charge at them with a hatchet...

I found that almost always after shooting someone, they’d do the ooow move animation then immediately shoot back as if nothing happened, even after 2\3 shots. The whole way through the game.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Uncharted is exactly how it felt to me. Too much shooty shooty compared to what felt like horror of the original.