Jump to content

The Last of Us Part 2 - Now updated for PS5 for at 60fps


Uzi
 Share

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Could I have a link to that please @Vemsie sorry if you’ve posted it already. 

 

Sure. 

Spoiler

 

 

It's long, but I really enjoyed it. Skip to the half mark if you just want his opinion on TLoU 2, but the whole video is worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 
 

  Reveal hidden contents

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 
 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 


Really spectacular stuff. 

 

You have to accept those moments are done for cinematic and dramatic purposes and are not there for involved gameplay. I mean what do you want, a pipe-mania minigame or something to do in the corner of the screen while the cutscene plays out, so you're always playing a 'game'?

 

99% of players will get to those sections and will be hammering the square button out of wide-eyed panic, going "oh fuck!" etc.

 

So congratulations, you are in the 1% who has seen behind the curtain and understood its all a magic trick. Well done. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

 

Sure. 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

It's long, but I really enjoyed it. Skip to the half mark if you just want his opinion on TLoU 2, but the whole video is worth it.

Thanks, I’ll watch it all this weekend :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 
 

  Hide contents

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 
 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 


Really spectacular stuff. 


Well you’re not going to get anywhere pressing the “x” button. The game is asking you to press the “square” button.

 

I can see why you don't like it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, AI1 said:

 

You have to accept those moments are done for cinematic and dramatic purposes and are not there for involved gameplay. I mean what do you want, a pipe-mania minigame or something to do in the corner of the screen while the cutscene plays out, so you're always playing a 'game'?

 

99% of players will get to those sections and will be hammering the square button out of wide-eyed panic, going "oh fuck!" etc.

 

So congratulations, you are in the 1% who has seen behind the curtain and understood its all a magic trick. Well done. :lol:

 

It's weird criticism, especially when it's so infrequent compared to the moment to moment gameplay. And you never hear those same people complain about those same elements in these so called bastions of pure gameplay titles like Metal Gear Rising with all its forced slow Codex walks that are way more annoying than anything in TLoU or the abundance of QTEs in Resident Evil 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

 

It's weird criticism, especially when it's so infrequent compared to the moment to moment gameplay. And you never hear those same people complain about those same elements in these so called bastions of pure gameplay titles like Metal Gear Rising with all its forced slow Codex walks that are way more annoying than anything in TLoU or the abundance of QTEs in Resident Evil 4.

 

I replayed Resident Evil 4 last year and it's still a brilliant game, but fuck me having to bring up the briefcase every time to change weapon is a right pain in the arse. Even having access to just two you could swap between would do wonders for the pacing. I used to spend hours in the Mercenary mode alone but the act of swapping weapon became a massive chore and I just sold it on when I was done with it. The inventory system alone in both LOU games in how it never cuts from the gameworld screen is definitely worthy of praise. Even simple things like highlighting where a molotov should be in your quick inventory, and just holding down X to make one rather than going to the specific crafting tab to do that, is excellent.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

I’m about 4 hours into this now. 
 

  Hide contents

Horse I am riding gets blown up by a bomb. I sustain no injuries. After 30 seconds I hold forward on the thumbstick after realising I’m in an interactive cut scene that has stopped. I crawl forward a few inches in awkward cut scene. I get bopped on the head, captured and tied up. 
 

I awaken. My mate who has somehow escaped our attackers?!! falls through glass ceiling trying to help. 

 

I press x to pick up shard of glass in cut scene because game tells me I have to press x.

I press x repeatedly to cut through rope hand ties in cut scene because game tells me I have to keep pressing x.

I watch my mate getting attacked and am told to press a button again to help kill attacker, decide not to, so the game does it anyway. 


Really spectacular stuff. 

That's been one of my favourite moments in the game so far, my heart was genuinely racing! 

Spoiler

Obviously when you strip it down it's not groundbreaking or challenging gameplay but within the context of what had just happened, in addition to the direction, camera angles and music (plus the angry and intense gunfight that followed) I was actually thinking about it for a good while afterwards. I didn't know what was going to unfold and felt like the events had quickly gotten out of my control, which is something I'm not sure a game has ever made me really feel before.

 

When I think of some of my favourite games I've enjoyed in recent years like MGSV, Titanfall 2, or Horizon, even if things get a bit messy at times you are ultimately basically a superhero and in total control of the situation. I don't think I've felt in control for a single second in The Last of Us 2, I feel on edge the entire time and it's so much fun! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a lot of it comes down to patience. I love being drawn into a game..Those interactive cinematic moments that set the scene in a way only a game can. Ellie's first walk around Jackson...

 

Spoiler

Abbie's walk through the stadium to pick up a gun. The drive out with Mel.

 

Those moments make the game for me.  But I can see how a gamer that just wants to play, just wants to click through this stuff. If you don't appreciate any of the art ND have cooked up then it will just seem like something that is between you and the game. Ever since the PS1 I was always amazed that some people click through cut scenes they haven't seen before, they just want to get to the gameplay. And I guess if you are one of them. This game aint gonna do it for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finished this today, brutal in places, haunting in others but absolutely stunning.

A fantastic swan song for the PS4 generation in terms of gameplay, graphics, plot/story, sound and animation. Imagine what we'll be getting on PS5.

 

Spoiler

The section with Abby in the sports arena in particular was impressive. No major gameplay to speak of but the scope and size of the place along with the background animation and atmosphere was just something. Also, it was a splash of colour in an otherwise rain filled and intentionally dreary coloured game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cubik said:

Finished this today, brutal in places, haunting in others but absolutely stunning.

A fantastic swan song for the PS4 generation in terms of gameplay, graphics, plot/story, sound and animation. Imagine what we'll be getting on PS5.

 

  Hide contents

The section with Abby in the sports arena in particular was impressive. No major gameplay to speak of but the scope and size of the place along with the background animation and atmosphere was just something. Also, it was a splash of colour in an otherwise rain filled and intentionally dreary coloured game.

 

Totally agree, that bit blew me away. I literally walked around it with my mouth wide open!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tip for those who want to go for the platinum, don't attempt to hoover up all the collectibles on NG+, you may run into a bug where some of the collectibles, especially a specific card, can't be picked up. Looks like it's an NG+ issue, I'm not the only one who's having the problem. 

 

Shame, I quite fancied grabbing them all on a third run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like that the trophies in this aren't tied to the difficulty settings. God of War did the same thing and it actually spurred me on to go for the platinum and get everything out of the game that I could. More of this, please, game developers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I like that the trophies in this aren't tied to the difficulty settings. God of War did the same thing and it actually spurred me on to go for the platinum and get everything out of the game that I could. More of this, please, game developers.

 

Spider-Man and Horizon are the same if I recall correctly. There's additional trophies for NG+ and higher difficulty but they're treated as add-ons to the main set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep thinking I’m getting bored of this, and then some little environmental touch, or change of pace, or realisation that I can go HAM on the weapons instead of sneaking, refreshes me, and I’m hooked again. Although (late game, after Seattle Day 3 but well before the end spoilers, don’t click if you haven’t finished type spoiler)

Spoiler

That sex scene where one of them has almost died a bunch and one of them is really drunk and they want to kill each other over the fact they tortured a guy to death was fucking peculiar, weirdly naturalistic and at the same time completely undexpected and out of place, as if the director needed some raw dog shagging one way or the other.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm convinced people are lying when they say this game actually ends. :lol:

 

Really, really, really late game spoilers. Don't click if you haven't finished the game.

 

So I did the brilliant assault through the burning island, then flash forward to many months later and I feel like we're finally reaching the conclusion. Then all of a sudden I'm on my way through Santa Barbara and holy fuck WHY WON'T THIS GAME END! I'm loving the game but Naughty Dog desperately need an editor, this and Uncharted 4 both have the same issue of length.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite like that it's such an epic, but a shorter Lost Legacy style game in this universe would be pretty cool.

 

I originally wanted to wait for PS5 for a replay, but because I'm so drawn to the gameplay loop and the environments, I started Survivor+ and despite knowing what happens in the story, I'm enjoying it tremendously. Deep into Day 2 now and perhaps I wasted too many items earlier, because I'm constantly feeling outgunned, but that's great in how it forces you to make the most out of what you have. The

Spoiler

school

was a bit of a difficulty spike and

Spoiler

Hillcrest

was tense as fuck. 

 

I would really love it if ND's first PS5 game (not counting The Last of Us MP) goes full-blown sci-fi. It would allow them to go all-out on crazy environments and set-pieces, whether it's something more pulpy like Savage Starlight or something darker. I'd be so up for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Working my way through 

 

Spoiler

Day two with Abby. Had two or three combat sequences where I’ve been down to scraps and I love the fact the game continually gives you just enough to finish a job. 
 

Also I am a big fan of the crossbow :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.