IGNORED

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Thread Owner

NeoGAF have a ninety page thread on this, following cryptic tweets by some guy called Lupinko and leaks from a Malaysian animator. The rumour is it will be announced at the Capcom / SFV event on Saturday. If it exists.

The animator also commented they are going back to 2v2 with 1 assist character. Supposedly a lot of X-Men characters have been teased, so not just MCU characters.

Personally I thought the MvC3 roster was trash compared to MvC2, but I'd be cautiously optimistic about a 4th. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Let's be realistic , at this point it's  better to move on. Nothing can be saved anymore, let's move on to other games and maybe SF6 at some  point.

Will MvC4 have an arcade mode?

Not sure where I saw it, maybe I dreamt it, but apparently they're supporting SFV through to 2020. 

Edit - I didn't dream it!

Famitsu: So, moving back to the earlier subject, how far does your current road map for Street Fighter V development go?
Ono: It’s not just a 1-2 year thing. We’re looking pretty far ahead… We’ve planned out as far as 2020 or so.
Ayano: Street Fighter V is a title we’re adding on to as it goes along, so we’re working on it while planning ahead on the best way to develop it further.
Famitsu: Are we going to see other titles than Street Fighter during that time, as well… ?
Ayano: That’s not something I’d know, at my level, haha. Please, Ono-san, take over.
Ono: I’d be happy if we could. But first, we’d have to solidify Street Fighter V as an esports title. I said in the beginning that we’ve seen a higher number of entrants than we had in the Street Fighter IV era, but we’d like to heighten that even further. The more people participate, the bigger tournaments we can host, and the more people are going to watch them, which is directly connected with our sales, and that’s going to decide the future.

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ok. I must've missed this; what happened to SF V? Seemed so promising a year ago...

They released a (very) early access title as a finished product at full price. As their way of saying  sorry they followed that up by installing rootkits on on every pc that had legitimately purchased the game. Root kits are apparently easier to make than an arcade mode.

Not to mention the lottery of being able to connect to the servers in the opening week or so; even if you were just in training mode you could be booted to the menu with an error message. Also, no multiplayer lobbies until a month or so and delays to the DLC schedule (Ibuki was planned for May and the cinematic story content for June; neither were available until early July.) For what it's worth I actually like the gameplay of V but the launch was a shambles...

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I can not choose between Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 or a new Vampire Hunter. I'll have both please.

I'd take a new Darkstalkers game over a new Marvel vs Capcom every day and twice on Tuesday, and that's bearing in mind that I like MvC.

I'm swaying towards believing it. I've queued up a load of UMVC3 tournaments on YouTube to get myself really excited, ensuring maximum disappointment on Sunday morning when it turns out to be fake.

I'm not bothered about the cast because I barely know any Marvel characters anyway. The NeoGAF chatter seems to suggest that some licensing issue with FOX makes X-Men unlikely?

My main hope is that it remains as utterly OTT as Street Fighter V isn't and, more importantly, that Capcom manage a contract that lets them support the game for more than a year.

1 minute ago, joffocakes said:

I'm swaying towards believing it. I've queued up a load of UMVC3 tournaments on YouTube to get myself really excited, ensuring maximum disappointment on Sunday morning when it turns out to be fake.

I'm not bothered about the cast because I barely know any Marvel characters anyway. The NeoGAF chatter seems to suggest that some licensing issue with FOX makes X-Men unlikely?

My main hope is that it remains as utterly OTT as Street Fighter V isn't and, more importantly, that Capcom manage a contract that lets them support the game for more than a year.

Marvel has (allegedly) been trying to shift focus from properties that Fox hold movie rights to (X-Men and related properties, Fantastic 4 and related properties), which has included exceptionally little licensing of anything X-Men related, right down to pretty much butchering the comic lines (Wolverine's dead and been replaced by a female clone they've had knocking around for years, apart from in a weird sort of spin off universe, for instance) or killing the comics off entirely in the case of the Fantastic 4.

If that isn't just a coincidence, it's fairly likely they would refuse to allow a MvC game to feature anything related to Fox. Which given that the series has traditionally been fairly heavy on X-Men characters and some of it's more iconic movesets are also X-Men based, would mean a new entry would be a bit of a departure. It's petty of Marvel, because there's nothing stopping them using those characters in a game (that we know of - could be a Spiderman thing here were all of a sudden Sony get an exclusive game going...) but it's understandable that they don't want to effectively advertise for a company who they don't much like and want the rights back from.

It'd be more MCU v Capcom. Which isn't a bad thing and still gives a huge roster, but an MvC without Wolverine or Doom would be a bit weird.

I've always loved the idea of MvC, but I've always shit at it... I'd still take another one though... Watch this be false :(

Thanks for the excellent summary @Chindie. Saves me sifting through crumbs of information on NeoGAF while they try to hastily prove it. I do hope they manage to come to an agreement that makes people happy.

Even though I was utterly terrible at it, I loved watching others play Marvel versus Capcom. I've watched exponentially more than I've played. I'd love it to have that same attention to detail in character interactions too. A lot of care went into MvC3's intro patter, tag dialogue and win quote. Even the alternate character colours were subtle references to all sorts of mad niche stuff I'd never realise.

I dunno you guys a Marvel Vs Capcom with no wolverine or doom sounds pretty good to me. Shooting myself in the foot a bit because wolverine is the only one I can play but still, I got thoroughly sick of the sight of those two in MVC3. 

First heard a whisper about this a year ago. I think it's happening. I just hope the SFV team haven't been allowed anywhere near it. 

SFV was geared towards the Capcom Pro Tour and their esports-centric business plans, but to say it's aimed at pro players is not entirely accurate. 

Gameplay/system-wise they made it much more accessible than SF4, to appeal to casual players, to the point where many pro players and intermediate competitive players have completely rejected it. Japanese SFV players refer to it as "Streetfighter Duty" as they don't like it but feel obligated to play it because of the Pro Tour.

They stripped out enough of the depth and finesse to alienate hardcore players but also failed to teach casual players how to play and didn't include any of the content casual players would want in the game. 

Then the net code issues, terrible matchmaking and failure to punish rage quitters properly for the first 8 months or so only alienated casual players further. 

They didn't fail by pandering to the pro players, they failed by releasing a half baked product that managed to alienate chunks of players at all levels and then answering this by throwing money at it/asking for MORE money from the already frustrated existing users. 

I tried my best to like it and even had the bonus of a really active competitive scene local to me that stopped me caring about the online issues etc. and I *still* cannot be arsed with it. It's gutting to me that a new SF game has Urien in it and I have no desire to play. Our local scene runs King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, SF4 and just about any other fighting game we can (been dabbling with Fantasy Strike a lot lately, it's a lot of fun!), but SFV is all but dead. So disappointing. 

Also yes, Mahvel 4 would be amazing. Marvel 3 was the clear highlight of an otherwiseunderwhelming Evo this year, would love to see a new one and I think the players working tirelessly to keep UMVC3 alive deserve it. 

39 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I think Marvel Comics is feuding with Marvel Films theses days (vs mode) so I think X-Men/Fox characters are back on the table. Never got the Mr Fantastic/Dhalsim obvious re-skin, a fourth would be amazing. 

There has been a rivalry between the studio and the comic arm, mostly because Ike Perlmutter appears to be a, ahem, supremely hard man to work with and liked to stretch his influence over everything. His influence there has been greatly reduced with Fiege no longer reporting to him, but the anti Fox thing is still going on. See the bizarre attempted rise of the Inhumans that won't go away, the strange F4 cancellation after years of publication, etc etc.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say there wouldn't be Fox characters in this, if it happens, but I'd bet they scale them back in favour of some more obscure characters who just so happen could be adapted...

I'd take a few new faces. Daredevil, Moon Knight (...Please), Loki, Black Panther...

I'd also love a proper story mode. Say what you will of Netherrealms stuff, they can do single player very very well, putting Capcom to shame.

1 hour ago, JLM said:

They stripped out enough of the depth and finesse to alienate hardcore players but also failed to teach casual players how to play and didn't include any of the content casual players would want in the game.

This is the most succinct and precise summary of SFV's many problems and I salute you for it. 

I watched some Excellent Adventures earlier and it's shocking how little the game has moved on since I last watched it (Evo was, what, four months ago?). New characters and countless opportunities to rebalance but the meta has been pretty much static since two weeks after the game came out. 

Anyway, Marvel! I'd prefer 3v3 to 2v2 with assists, just because the number of possible team comps is so much bigger. Part of what makes marvel 3 so exciting is the possibility of some unknown turning up to tournament with some super weird looking team and just wrecking shop because it turns out to have amazing synergy. Love stuff like that. 

However, Marvel is very different these days, and I expect they'll want as big an audience as possible. Which means they might go for accessibility again, as with SFV. I kinda hope not, even though I'd quite like to be able to play a marvel game for once in my life. 

If there's a new Marvel I'd love something like Heroes and Heralds again; a "mission"-based gameplay mode with sweet unlocks that aren't as soul-destroying as SFxT gems. Maybe I'm wishing for the wrong things :P but I lost many hours to that...  :wub: 

Polygon have run an article on the rumour. No real solid information, just repeating the rumours we've been hearing including that X-Men are less likely to feature. There's is an interesting line suggesting "that there may be good news for fans of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 specifically coming soon as well". I dunno if that's a hint at a port or backwards compatibility. Or even the impossible patch for the existing game. Or the existing game going back on sale digitally? 

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13749536/marvel-vs-capcom-4-news

8 hours ago, joffocakes said:

"that there may be good news for fans of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 specifically coming soon as well". I dunno if that's a hint at a port or backwards compatibility.

Announcement of MvC4 plus MvC3 port for current gen OUT NOW!

Please! :omg:

Jesus, way to crush my hype there. I love MvC one and two, but loads of that is the beautiful sprite based legacy of COTA still being there. I found MvC a bit soulless looking and clean, and the character selection on both sides was pretty dull in comparison to previous entries. I'm interested, but I love X-Men so if it goes all MCU I might not bother.